Talk

Advanced search

to wonder how many of you posters (or lurkers) are actually researchers for The Matthew Wright Show?

(24 Posts)
Thruaglassdarkly Tue 02-Aug-11 10:58:42

...because yet again, another of our threads has appeared on the show this morning, this time without even a nod to MN as being its source.

Am thinking perhaps these researchers come up with thread ideas, post them under the guise of being an MNer and then use our replies to calculate their little percentages of what "parents think"...

The thread to which I'm referring, has disappeared too... Hum...

Not seriously expecting any confessions here...although feel free to come out, come out, wherever you are wink.

usualsuspect Tue 02-Aug-11 10:59:36

What thread was it?

thursday Tue 02-Aug-11 11:04:05

i'm sure you're right. we all know the lengths journalists will go to to get a story, posting on an open forum will be an obvious move. it does get tiresome hearing all about what mumsnet thinks in the media though. i do love the irony that it's presented to the world as having one uniform opinion when basically all we do is bicker.

Whatmeworry Tue 02-Aug-11 11:04:47

Only some. Others are journos and freelancers for the peprs and the mags. I think they outnumber mums on some threads grin

Whatmeworry Tue 02-Aug-11 11:04:59

*papers

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 02-Aug-11 11:06:29

The thing is though, throughaglass, how would you know? It's not as if the threads are particularly original or not being discussed elsewhere?

I don't watch Matthew Wright anyway, he laughs at everything he says and reminds me of Beaker from the Muppets.

yoshiLunk Tue 02-Aug-11 11:15:36

Beaker ! <slaps forehead>

thank you

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 02-Aug-11 11:20:13

Ha... it's not just me then, yoshiLunk... grin

NettoSuperstar Tue 02-Aug-11 11:22:36

he's my embarrassing crush blush

MsVelvet Tue 02-Aug-11 15:10:23

mine too hahaha

Thruaglassdarkly Tue 02-Aug-11 20:07:17

Lyingwitch/usual - The story was about WWYD if you had a 12 yo son with a gf his own age, who had been sleeping over at your house for years. Then one morning you went into his room to find his 12 yo gf and him in his bed w their arms around each other.

Sound familiar?

Either, some journo made that whole thread up and pretended to be a mum in that position to gauge our responses to pre-teen sleep overs.

Or, some lazy-arsed researcher couldn't be bothered to think of a debate topic, logged in on here and thought, "that'll do!"

If the latter, I'd be blush if I was the OP.

Thruaglassdarkly Tue 02-Aug-11 20:09:20

TBF, I like Wrighty, even when he's just WRONG wink.

MadamDeathstare Tue 02-Aug-11 20:12:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nojustificationneeded Tue 02-Aug-11 20:40:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

timetosmile Tue 02-Aug-11 20:42:55

so is lurking as bad as hacking?

Thruaglassdarkly Tue 02-Aug-11 22:57:48

Timetosmile - why? Are you a journo weighing up your conscience? wink.

You see - I can't trust anyone anymore! <wrings hands, sighs melodramatically and pours wine>...

MintChocAddict Tue 02-Aug-11 23:01:01

I like him too. blush <runs away>

Thruaglassdarkly Tue 02-Aug-11 23:05:20

You do realise that all you lot admitting you fancy him (not me! I said I liked him in an amiable guy sorta way) will fuel his already enormous ego and he'll be gloating on Channel 5 how the "MN harridans" all have a bit of a thing" for him. grin

MintChocAddict Tue 02-Aug-11 23:20:33

I think that's what I like about him. I also have a sneaking admiration for Simon Cowell. wink <disappears>

rainbowtoenails Tue 02-Aug-11 23:25:39

I did think that thread was a bit barking. I couldnt believe how many people thought it was ok. Is there a particular reason why it was pulled?

The amount I write on MN sometimes i think i should become a journalist!

Maryz Tue 02-Aug-11 23:30:13

The thread is still there, isn't it? And I think it is a fair enough question - if you have a boy and girl who have been friends since toddlerhood, at what stage do you make them stop sharing a room?

I do, however, think that The Wright Stuff must have research budget shortages, since they appear to do this a lot.

MintChocAddict Tue 02-Aug-11 23:35:24

Didn't see that particular thread, but very obvious that mumsnet threads are inspiration for many a feature or article.

The DM has an article today about increase in mums with a preference for female babies, which has been a recurring theme on here. Much of the article refers to Mumsnet.

As for Matthew Wright. I think someone said in another Wright Stuff inspired thread that if we were in a playground he'd be pulling our pigtails and running away. I don't buy all that 'Harridans' stuff. He's just a big flirt. grin

thesunshinesbrightly Wed 03-Aug-11 01:32:40

Can't stand the man!!

PinkSchmoo Wed 03-Aug-11 01:51:26

I suppose if he's trying to present a topical debate show then this is a pretty good place to start. If they were delving into some of the more sensitive boards I'd think it pretty poor but everyone knows the risks of aibu. Just need to remember that you should consider seeing your embarrassing situation on national tv whilst eating your poptart.

Btw read that whole thread and don't think op was a journo. Was actually to non-sensational iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now