Talk

Advanced search

...to remind you all about ICE ?

(52 Posts)
LadyThumb Tue 02-Aug-11 10:19:19

An ICE (In Case of Emergency) number should be in all mobile phones as this is the first thing the emergency services look for on a mobile. It definitely should be put into childrens' phones. If you want to know more please look at this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency

I have it in my family's phones and it was used last night during New Tricks.

thursday Tue 02-Aug-11 10:22:45

yes i have this in my phone, have done for a long time.

wannaBe Tue 02-Aug-11 10:23:36

most people have "home" in their phone, surely?

thursday Tue 02-Aug-11 10:24:59

i dont want my landline ringing in emergency though, i want my husbands mobile.

LadyThumb Tue 02-Aug-11 10:25:30

'Home' is great - as long as someone is actually there wannaBe !

mousymouse Tue 02-Aug-11 10:25:37

if I am not "home" no one is. so "home" is not really usefull.
I have ICE1 = dh and ICE2 = best friend on my mobile for that reason.

justpaddling Tue 02-Aug-11 10:25:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Unlurked Tue 02-Aug-11 10:26:54

Surely most people have a pin code on their phone?

milkysmum Tue 02-Aug-11 10:27:12

Have had my dh down as ICE for a while now after reading about is somewhere- maybe on mn!?

altinkum Tue 02-Aug-11 10:27:15

LadyFlumpalot Tue 02-Aug-11 10:28:36

Both I and DF have it - but it wasn't used when he had a car crash. It took me repeatedly ringing his mobile (to find out where he was - was worried) before a policeman picked it up and informed me - several hours after he had crashed - after he had been ailifted to hospital and while the police were cleaning the belongings out of his car.

NewbeeMummy Tue 02-Aug-11 10:29:01

Just to add my 2p on the matter. If you have a phone that has password or pin to unlock it - have your ICE number displayed on the background screen, otherwise no one can access it.

LadyFlumpalot Tue 02-Aug-11 10:30:45

Thats a very good point unlurked. I certainly do, and would never have thought of it! Df doesn't though, so still no excuse there!

LadyThumb Tue 02-Aug-11 10:31:19

Now that is a really good idea NewbeeMummy for those with pin numbers.

altinkum Tue 02-Aug-11 10:31:58

Unlurked Tue 02-Aug-11 10:32:05

That's a good idea newbee, I wouldn't have thought of that!

wannaBe Tue 02-Aug-11 10:32:14

yep, I have a pin code on my phone. most people I know do.

BsshBossh Tue 02-Aug-11 10:33:56

Keep forgetting to do this so many thanks for reminding me. Have now programmed ICE1 DH, ICE2 Mum, ICE3 MIL.

GetOrfMoiSamsungFridgeFreezer Tue 02-Aug-11 10:34:13

Isn't the ICE thing a load of old baloney, and an urban myth that cops or whatever would look for ICE in a mobile.

Mine has a pin on it anyway.

I think the sensible thing would be to go through last dialled numbers.

scurryfunge Tue 02-Aug-11 10:37:45

I don't know any cops that would look for ICE. Most phones are locked. You shouldn't be informing family of serious accidents etc by phone anyway unless there is absolutely no option (which is rare).

JanMorrow Tue 02-Aug-11 10:38:50

Do the emergency services genuinely use this though? Can someone who works as a paramedic or in A&E confirm this at all? Because it seems unlikely to me, although logically it does make sense so not knocking it!

mousymouse Tue 02-Aug-11 10:39:12

I just attended a first aid course (red cross), the instructor said that they do look for the ICE number on the phone, but also talk to the injured person (if possible).
my dh has his ICE on his screen-saver on his fancy phone.

caffevalium Tue 02-Aug-11 10:40:45

What used to happen before mobile phones?

wannaBe Tue 02-Aug-11 10:42:29

I think that since most phones are protected by a pin code, and realistically no-one wants to have someone else's phone number as their screensaver which in itself is unwise since if the phone is stolen then you are revealing someone's identity to the thief, the idea is not that workable anyway.

BlooferLady Tue 02-Aug-11 10:43:40

OP were you watching 'New Tricks' last night?! grin

'tis wise advice though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: