Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how I have managed to get to 39 without ever coming across 'fat prejudice'...

(166 Posts)
joric Tue 02-Aug-11 08:50:43

....until I found Mumsnet???
I have always been fat and can honestly say I had no idea that people thought so badly of people who are overweight.
AIBU to think that not everyone thinks we're disgusting, smelly freaks ( based on my positive experiences with friends and strangers over the years)?

Mitmoo Tue 02-Aug-11 08:52:03

Most people can see the person not the weight, if they can't they're no loss really.

mumblechum1 Tue 02-Aug-11 08:52:49

Really? I think MN is, if anything, very tolerant of all sorts of differences and very anti-prejudice.

Who says fat people are disgusting and smelly?

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 02-Aug-11 08:52:52

Same here. Apart from my mother, I've managed to have friends, hold down jobs, get married, have children etc. Listen to people on here and you'd think we were the scum of the earth.

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 02-Aug-11 08:54:25

mumble, you must be joking. Search for some of the threads. MNetters save all their vitriol up for the weight threads, all the things they can't say to any other group come tumbling out. Oh, except if you're fat and Catholic, then you really are scum.

biddysmama Tue 02-Aug-11 08:55:35

my grandads the only person whos ever said anything about my weight... apart from some loser guy who called me a fat cow in town once for no reason.. i was at that lovely looking fat not pregnant stage of pregnancy ..

faverolles Tue 02-Aug-11 08:59:24

I was bullied at school for being fat, and into adulthood have had comments etc.
I think you are lucky to have not come across it before, but I suppose even nasty bullies post on the Internet, and the anonymity can make them more outspoken and vicious.

joric Tue 02-Aug-11 09:01:07

Oh bloody hell Gwendoline !!! and (brought up) Catholic?!!!.... That's me stuffed then!!!
Seriously though, ditto to everything you just said!

VeronicaCake Tue 02-Aug-11 09:01:30

Its because some people behave like knobs on the internet. They wouldn't say nasty things to your face (and perhaps wouldn't even think them because there is a big difference between the person in front of you and the invisible person online who is easy to sneer at and belittle).

It isn't just Mumsnet and it isn't just weight though. The thread at the bottom of this page concerns teeny tiny baby hedgehogs having a bath and one idiot still manages to get so worked up about the subject he suggests that another poster should 'GO GET FUCKED YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT, YOU SHOULD NOT BE ALOUD TO BREATHE!!!!CUZ IT WOUlD BE A WASTE OF GOOD OXYGEN BITCH!!!!!'

Stay out of any threads with the words obesity, weight, diet or hedgehog in the title.

Wallissimpson Tue 02-Aug-11 09:02:29

I think for some people it's difficult to understand why people are or stay fat ( medical issues aside) . I do wonder at the health implications and the limitingness ( crap word!) of being overweight in terms of sports, fitness etc.

But prejudice, that's never acceptable about anyone.

TimeWasting Tue 02-Aug-11 09:03:23

People say things on here they wouldn't say to your face, it's anonymous.

And how fat are you? That makes a big difference.

spookshowangel Tue 02-Aug-11 09:07:08

no i am the same, on here women are very much that over weight people are wearing sacks (which is true if you walk in to evans or a long tall sally), dont have bfs and deservedly are shunned by society. i never had this in rl but hey this isnt rl so i forbear.

joric Tue 02-Aug-11 09:12:24

I agree Timewasting and Veronica!..
I am guilty of thinking things about others but ' fat issues' seem to get everyone's blood boiling!!!

joric Tue 02-Aug-11 09:15:45

Timewasting - how fat is a good point- I am v fat- morbidly on charts! A little roll of tubbiness some people try to pass off as fat are not included!!

spookshowangel Tue 02-Aug-11 09:20:21

yes wallis because all not over weight people are excessively sporty, again with the belief that being over weight makes you not sporty or less sporty and you would be right but i have many friends that are just as incapable of running a few laps because they are unfit and are not over weight i assume they are equally limiting their lives by not running marathons and perfering a martini.

Andrewofgg Tue 02-Aug-11 09:20:42

Children are what they are and will always be cruel to the One Who Is Different. I had a primary school friend known to us all as Fatty - as it happens he was a lovely chap and everyone liked him - and I don't feel embarrassed about it. But I can honestly say that in adult life the only issue I have with obese people is on public transport - for obvious and genuine reasons.

TimeWasting Tue 02-Aug-11 09:24:40

I'm surprised then that you haven't noticed it. Maybe not directed at you personally, but people use fat as an insult for instance.

TimeWasting Tue 02-Aug-11 09:26:57

Andrew, some people taking up more space bothers you enough for it be an issue?

NevermindtheNargles Tue 02-Aug-11 09:28:59

I'm fat and i don't even have a medical condition

I shouldn't be allowed.

joric Tue 02-Aug-11 09:29:51

Andrew!!! ... because they smell and take up all the room?? LMHO!!!
Exactly what I'm talking about!
I am so naive and I don't get it ... I get people chatting away to me all of the time and I am BIG!!!!

TimeWasting Tue 02-Aug-11 09:31:52

Ah, joric, are you jolly? grin If you match people's expectations then you might not notice the prejudice implicit in the way they are treating you.

NevermindtheNargles Tue 02-Aug-11 09:32:26

At least I don't use public transport though. Imagine if all the cyclists/joggers who worked up a nice healthy sweat getting to the train station had to be all squashed up by my disgusting fat bits.

NevermindtheNargles Tue 02-Aug-11 09:32:26

At least I don't use public transport though. Imagine if all the cyclists/joggers who worked up a nice healthy sweat getting to the train station had to be all squashed up by my disgusting fat bits.

joric Tue 02-Aug-11 09:36:40

Timewasting, I've heard it as an insult of course but maybe I'm just blinkered... Having said that......I have just remembered my only ever random insult from a lad I knew at college who called me a fat cow in a pub..... He got a pint of lager and black spilled all over him and had to go home if I remember correctly.......

joric Tue 02-Aug-11 09:38:05

Timewasting!! LMHO ... Yes, I am jolly !!!!!! Fat and jolly!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now