Talk

Advanced search

to feel a tiny little bit smug.. yeah i know i am

(45 Posts)
biddysmama Tue 02-Aug-11 08:44:56

that my friend who has a toddler the same age as mine (her first child, my second) that told everyone who would listen that gina ford and controlled crying were the only way to bring up a child, and that if you didnt cc your child would never sleep through now has a toddler that doesnt sleep and mine does even tho i left her to sleep when she was ready?
grin
yeah im a bad person

peppapighastakenovermylife Tue 02-Aug-11 08:46:07

grin

Bad person

She brought it upon herself by being so vocal

sims2fan Tue 02-Aug-11 10:29:19

I have a friend who is quite smug that her 8 month old baby is always quiet, smiley and 'good' while our other friend's 2 year old toddler is energetic, always tantrumming and being 'naughty.' I am just waiting until her son gets to the same age as I think she's in for a bit of a shock as she is adamant that her son will never have tantrums etc!

TillyTellTale Tue 02-Aug-11 11:10:37

sims2fan

Seriously? How entertaining and yet frustrating it must be, to know your friend!

yoshiLunk Tue 02-Aug-11 11:19:44

My sons have never had tantrums,

I am not smug about it, I am worried , that some day I am going to pay for it BIG [scared emoticon]

faverolles Tue 02-Aug-11 11:21:24

It should be a lesson in parenting to never, ever be smug about anything, because as sure as eggs are eggs, it'll come back to bite you one day!

YouDoTheMath Tue 02-Aug-11 11:26:52

Mwahahahahahah! grin

Don't you love it when smug/dictatorial types come unstuck.

DoMeDon Tue 02-Aug-11 11:28:18

Think it's a reflection on you that you are smug your friend is having sleepless nights hmm

YouDoTheMath Tue 02-Aug-11 11:28:42

Plus they change all the time.

My DD used to be SO well behaved, evreyone used to comment on it. Now, she screams like nobody's business whenever we're in public.

YouDoTheMath Tue 02-Aug-11 11:29:10

*everyone

fivegomadindorset Tue 02-Aug-11 11:32:34

Just to warn you Biddysmama, that my DD slept really well until she was 3 and has been crap ever since.

wearenotinkansas Tue 02-Aug-11 11:36:24

grin

I am anti-cc - so find this v.amusing.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 02-Aug-11 11:49:03

I totally agree about the smug biting you on the arse!

My DS is 5.4 and I was very smug-- chuffed that he had never had a tantrum. Just 3 weeks ago, all hell broke loose and they are now a daily occurence. We're hoping they are short lived!

I can understand you being smug about your friend though, she shouldn't have been so adamant that she was right and you were wrong!

nickschick Tue 02-Aug-11 11:54:21

Oh dear god.

My eldest 2 ds were fantastic sleepers - I worked as a nursery nurse I helped parents devise good parenting 'strategies' with regards to sleeping/weaning/toilet training etc.

All babies sleep they need to id say its finding the way that suits them to sleep- to help them get good sleeping habits themselves,if a baby cries he cries for a reason- cuddle your baby love your baby it doesnt last forever and its a phase that passes and strangely you miss being awake in the night sharing those dark hours with your baby hmmblush,

THEN........

Ds3 arrived - he slept 3 hours out of 24 for the first 3 years.
He wasnt a wingey crying baby he just never slept.

That was my smugness coming back to flame my butt.

PrettyCandles Tue 02-Aug-11 11:55:53

I am smug about the fact that I kept my mouth shut when friends were Doing It Wrong. Because when my dc reached the ages their dc were at when I was silently judging them, mine did exactly the same things as theirs did or I reacted in exactly the same way as they did.

biddysmama Tue 02-Aug-11 12:32:38

my dd didnt sleep through till she was 1, the friend i am talking about told me i would only get her to sleep by cio, and now she sleeps through and her toddler doesnt, thats why im a little smug, ive got an 11 month old ds and he sttn for the first time last night

biddysmama Tue 02-Aug-11 12:33:59

and my ds didnt have terrible 2's either, turns out he has aspergers and more than makes up for it now at 9 year old!

buggerlugs82 Tue 02-Aug-11 13:00:30

WTF is controlled crying?

worldgonecrazy Tue 02-Aug-11 13:09:00

YANBU to feel smug. Hopefully your friend will now think twice before advising other new mums to CC. Actually, she probably won't because that would mean she would have to admit to herself that she'd allowed her child to cry for her mum for absolutely no reason at all, and no mum is willingly going to admit that, even to herself.

TandB Tue 02-Aug-11 13:25:06

YANBU. It is impossible not to feel smug when someone lectures and drones on about something and turns out to have got it spectacularly wrong.

My NCT group never stopped going on about this and that baby guru and this and that routine. I wouldn't have cared if they hadn't spent so much time telling me that I just had to have a routine too and that DS would never get into good sleeping habits if we just went with the flow. DS was the first one to start sleeping through at 6 weeks. I tried to look modest and un-smug but I suspect I failed!

ShowOfHands Tue 02-Aug-11 13:32:27

DD has never tantrummed. I too fear she's storing it up for later. Possibly when I've had a 2nd baby. Maybe she'll have a year long tantrum at some point.

I'm so far from smug, I'm afraid.

Quenelle Tue 02-Aug-11 13:41:44

DS is a very placid boy, he has never had a tantrum. But he's only 2 so I'll hold back on the smugness for a while.

Hi buggerlugs <waves> this is controlled crying.

biddysmama Tue 02-Aug-11 13:44:03

controlled crying is putting your baby to bed and leaving them awake, crying and going into them at set intervals but not comforting them exept patting them on the back or shhhing them depending on what baby torture parenting book you read

EdwardorEricCantDecide Tue 02-Aug-11 13:51:10

controlled crying is when you leave the baby to cry it out for a few minutes at a time, till the baby learns to self soothe,
i sort of did a mixture of CC and the pick up put down thing, it took us 3 days to get DS sleeping though @ 7 months and he still does sleep through now @ 2.5 so it seems to have worked for us.

EdwardorEricCantDecide Tue 02-Aug-11 13:51:51

i don't think its baby torure at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now