Talk

Advanced search

To think I must be getting really old!!

(62 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Mon 01-Aug-11 21:12:12

Went out in London today to a park with 7 friends and out 8 children.

Our lot were dressed in shorts/trunks and t-shirts.

The amount of little girls parading round in what can only be described as string bikinis (tie up bottoms) was shocking. Also the amount of women who were wearing thong bikinis, or string ones.

I must be getting old as heat aside I think little girls should not be in string bikinis but a nice one piece suit or a tankini maybe.

Please help me feel less old!!

squeakytoy Mon 01-Aug-11 21:13:27

I just think its wrong seeing anyone wearing a bikini in a london park grin

2BoysTooLoud Mon 01-Aug-11 21:15:12

I is old too..
So.. no help to you..
I often internally tut and younger friends tut at my old fogeyness [they tut openly though and quite rudely!].

itisnearlysummer Mon 01-Aug-11 21:16:04

YAabsolutelyNBU.

Mare11bp Mon 01-Aug-11 21:17:10

I am not that old but YANBU.

Think the sound of that leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Just trying to think where if anywhere in the UK this wld be appropriate? Maybe Newquay?

tethersend Mon 01-Aug-11 21:17:17

Where were you?!

Sirzy Mon 01-Aug-11 21:19:39

I think I must be getting old to then, worrying as I am only 27.

That isn't an appropriate way of dressing for children IMO

InfestationofLannisters Mon 01-Aug-11 21:20:51

I thought that the teacher DD had extra tuition with was a secondary school student on work experience.

Similarly, doctors, policemen. I'm not yet forty.

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 01-Aug-11 21:21:04

I was in Hyde Park.

There was one woman who had a thong bikini on (leather skin on show) aged about 65 envy <<<< actually me feeling sick.

Mare11bp Mon 01-Aug-11 21:21:43

Ugh that's gross!

InfestationofLannisters Mon 01-Aug-11 21:21:49

But YANBU. Horrid. And dangerous for children with delicate skin in this weather.

Choufleur Mon 01-Aug-11 21:22:00

YANBU.

monoid Mon 01-Aug-11 21:27:30

YANBU I'm 27 so hoping that I'm not considered old, but I hate kids in bikinis. My dd is desperate for one (as well as bras hmm ) and she is 8 years old.
shock at adults in string bikinis I would find that highly inappropriate... Although I'm sure dd would find it hilarious!

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 01-Aug-11 21:27:55

Infest, don't even go there, there was a couple of very ginger (are you allowed to say ginger nowadays?) children there who I wanted to shake the parents of.

1 was probably about 4/5yrs old in a bikini and so very pale at the start of the day (11.15am) but by an hour later she was painfully red it was awful.

Another was a girl a bit older running round in just her knickers but again seemed to go from pale to red in a matter of minutes!

DS2 was smothered in lotion yet still managed to get a red nose and cheeks and also looks like he is still wearing his swimming shorts as he has gone brown on his legs grin

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 01-Aug-11 21:29:27

I did see a lot of decently dressed children. One which made me giggle was a little boy who had a long sleeved t-shirt on 3/4 lengths and a wooly hat....he was certainly covered up grin

bearing in mind they were all playing in the water.

DilysPrice Mon 01-Aug-11 21:32:33

Bikinis are a lot more convenient for changing into/out of underneath a towel/sundress though - though DD has a tanktini which is equally convenient.

We were at the South Bank fountains and the whole range of clothing was on display, from fully clothed and sopping wet to tiny soggy knickers, to unbelieveably droopy nappies. Everyone was having a lovely time smile.

DontAskMeSums Mon 01-Aug-11 21:34:54

Please could you send your bikini weather my way. I promise faithfully not to wear one but I'd love it to be hot enough to take my jumper off.........envy

jazzchickens Mon 01-Aug-11 21:37:25

I bared my toes today.

I felt positively slutty grin

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 01-Aug-11 21:37:37

Dilys oh yes there were plenty of droopy nappies - hanging down to the knee grin

Don'task, we have a heatwave on the way. grin

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 01-Aug-11 21:38:00

Jazz thats disgusting!!! wink

usualsuspect Mon 01-Aug-11 21:39:03

I took my cardy off ..so what does that make me ,eh?

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 01-Aug-11 21:40:25

OMG Usual, I expected better from you!!!

(says her that had her shoulders bare all day and hoisted her dress up to play in the water wink )

Sidge Mon 01-Aug-11 21:41:13

YABU to refer to small children as "parading around" in bikinis.

They are just being children, wearing swimwear chosen for them by their parents.

"Parading around" sounds like you are implying they are flaunting their bodies.

(Oh and I wore this bikini myself on holiday - the top ties with string. What's wrong with that?)

dolldaggabuzzbuzz Mon 01-Aug-11 21:42:13

YABU. I don't see anything indecent about wearing a bikini. Nothing to worry about.

jazzchickens Mon 01-Aug-11 21:42:53

usualsuspect did you have bare shoulders or a roll top jumper underneath?
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now