Talk

Advanced search

TO BE AMUSED AND PLEASED AND IMPRESSED

(7 Posts)
Andrewofgg Mon 01-Aug-11 20:15:52

Two years ago an acquaintance of mine, then 78, lost his wife. Fifty-odd years married.

After a social bash one evening last week he was waiting for the chap who was going to drive him home. I said I hoped he wouldn't be waiting long and he said "Oh, I'm in no hurry to get home".

And I thought No, you poor old bugger, I bet the house is quiet.

Then he said "My partner has some friends round playing bridge and doesn't want me home too early".

And I thought Bloody good thing too, why bloody not!

bananasplitz Mon 01-Aug-11 20:24:38

bless, lol

HowNowKernow Mon 01-Aug-11 20:36:41

That's lovely. It must be rotten to be old and lonely. I have an aunt who got remarried at 83. She married her late husband's best friend, his wife had died around the same time as her husband and they became companions. Its the best thing really and the two families think its great.

EauRouge Mon 01-Aug-11 20:47:31

smile That's lovely.

My grandfather has been widowed twice and although he's almost 90 he's very fit and sharp as a pin. Last time I saw him he told me that he was volunteering to help drive elderly people in his village to hospital appointments and was telling me about all the widows he was meeting grin

IQuiteLikeVodka Mon 01-Aug-11 20:50:10

patronizing

FigsAndWine Mon 01-Aug-11 20:51:39

That's a lovely story.

BUT WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING???

grin

Andrewofgg Mon 01-Aug-11 20:55:06

Shouting by mistake, sorry about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now