Talk

Advanced search

To leave a note on a car....

(90 Posts)
WhoahThere Mon 01-Aug-11 13:00:02

Got back to my car after taking dd swimming, to find that someone had parked diagonally, and so close that I could barely open the back door. I was in a mother and child space so a bit annoying that they were well over the line, particularly as there were plenty of other spaces around.

So I managed to manoeuvre dd in, then left a note under the next door car's wipe saying: 'Nice parking! You made it really easy to get my baby into the car - thanks very much and have a great day!'

I am not in any way the mother and baby space police by the way - not bothered at all, but one was available so I used it....

I don't think I was BU at all - what do you reckon?!

Mitmoo Mon 01-Aug-11 13:01:36

That was polite, some scummer people might have let a tyre down.

MonsterBookOfTysons Mon 01-Aug-11 13:04:08

YANBU

Grevling Mon 01-Aug-11 13:04:31

Personally I'd have added even more sarcasm. You can never have enough sarcasm.

Maybe have left them a note labelled up as a parking award.

diddl Mon 01-Aug-11 13:05:35

Were you also blocked in on the other side?

GypsyMoth Mon 01-Aug-11 13:06:00

What's a 'mother and baby' space??

AlpinePony Mon 01-Aug-11 13:06:19

Why so passive-aggressive and sarky?

Why not just a blunt and no-room-for-interpretation:

"OI twatty. This is a mother & child space, that means I scratched your car trying to get the buggy in. Sorry. x"

AllGoodNamesGone Mon 01-Aug-11 13:06:46

YWNBU but someone who would park like that is unlikely to give a monkey's about your note anyway so I would not have wasted my time on them.

I might have pinged their door by accident in the process of getting my baby in the car

diddl Mon 01-Aug-11 13:08:55

I agree that they would probably either ignore/not care/not get the sarcasm.

feckwit Mon 01-Aug-11 13:10:24

I don't know why you had to be rude.

Treat people how you want to be treated I think so if I was going to leave a note, I would just have said:

"I'm just letting you know that I found it very difficult to get my child in through the door because you parked diagonally".

BlimminEck Mon 01-Aug-11 13:11:46

i wouldnt care if someone left me that note, would just laugh and feel a bit pleased the wally had been put out

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 01-Aug-11 13:13:49

YABU... because, as you're now finding, your passive aggressive attempt at redress is only making you doubt your actions. Next time, either drive off or wait for the person to return in person and tell them what you think face to face.

Sarsaparilllla Mon 01-Aug-11 13:15:28

My DP left a note on a car parked a bit like that the other day, but he wrote, 'Learn to park, wanker'

Straight to the point, I thought shock

WhoahThere Mon 01-Aug-11 13:15:51

I didn't think that was rude, feckwit. Was tempted to put 'nice parking dickhead!' but thought it was a trifle unnecessary. AlpinePony I never really know what passive-aggressive means despite seeing it on here all the time...

LRDTheFeministDragon Mon 01-Aug-11 13:16:43

Oh do grow up.

Yes, it's annoying. But your note is wanky.

CupcakesandTwunting Mon 01-Aug-11 13:17:35

"Great parking, fuckface. Next time leave me a can opener."

Is what you should have written.

Followed by keying "FANNY" into his bonnet.

sue52 Mon 01-Aug-11 13:17:38

Given the circumstances, your note was very polite.

tallulahxhunny Mon 01-Aug-11 13:17:44

I had same problem one day so my note said..

nice parking but next time could you leave a tin opener as i haven't got a sunroof!

5Foot5 Mon 01-Aug-11 13:18:04

Good for you. I have often been tempted but never seem to have paper and pen to hand when the need arises.

When you see really inconsiderate parking, like the selfish idiot at Sainsburys who completely straddled two whole places when the car park was very, very full at Christmas, I think it would be satisfying to fill a whole pad of Post-its with rude remarks and stick them all over the windscreen, windows etc. But I suppose that is a bit OTT and you would have to be really cross to go that far.

tallulahxhunny Mon 01-Aug-11 13:18:50

shock cupcakes were you the dick that parked next to me lol

CupcakesandTwunting Mon 01-Aug-11 13:20:07

No, as I don't drive, tallulah wink <prepares to be stoned>

I still take pleasure in leaving shitty notes for inept drivers though. I know, I know, get a hobby etc.

spiderpig8 Mon 01-Aug-11 13:20:20

Was it a mother and baby session? i wonder if they parked like that to give themselves more room to get the baby seat out of their back door on the other side.
leaving a note might seem a good idea at the time, but next week the driver might have a go at you!

YouDoTheMath Mon 01-Aug-11 13:21:16

I saw a note on a badly-parked car in a local car park which said "If you can't park it, don't drive it."

Thought that encapsulated the sentiment pretty clearly!

kenobi Mon 01-Aug-11 13:23:36

AlpinePony - you know putting a kiss at the end of yours is passive-aggressive as well, right? grin

passive-aggressive: essentially being angry at a person/situation without having the guts to confront directly, ie writing notes, pretending that an aggressive response is actually neutral or friendly by saying thanks at the end, sullen behaviour, refusing to do something or doing it badly, etc etc.

Though in this case I think it would be a bit batshit to hang around to wait for the driver to turn up so that you could confront them directly about their annoyingly bad parking. Life's too short.

WhoahThere Mon 01-Aug-11 13:23:39

No spiderpig8, I was in the end one of the parent spaces, shit parking car was in a normal space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now