Talk

Advanced search

letter of resignation , AIBU

(33 Posts)
altinkum Mon 01-Aug-11 09:58:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumblechum1 Mon 01-Aug-11 10:01:02

Yes, put the reason in the letter but make sure it's also copied in to his boss and to HR so if he's childish enough to tear it up in front of you he looks like even more of a prat.

mumblechum1 Mon 01-Aug-11 10:01:47

I love writing resignation letters. Last time I wrote a cathartic three page rant, burnt it then wrote a one liner saying I was leaving on x date.

BlueCat2010 Mon 01-Aug-11 10:01:58

Personally I wouldn't resign - if he already has an official warning then he has no choice other than treat you fairly.

wellwisher Mon 01-Aug-11 10:02:02

Yes YWBU to tell your boss in writing what you think of him! It would only hurt you and could weaken your case against him. Resist the temptation. Use the "straight to the point" letter template from here

mumnotmachine Mon 01-Aug-11 10:02:09

Would the job be ok if the boss wasnt in the equation?
Are your other work colleagues friendly?

If hes already had a written warning, plus other complaints then surely tits only a matter of time before he will be sacked?

Mitmoo Mon 01-Aug-11 10:02:22

Definately put it in your letter. It's evidence if you later go for constructive dismissal.

whattodoo Mon 01-Aug-11 10:02:39

In an ideal world, if he were to leave, would you want to stay working at the company?
My gut feeling is that you should keep the letter professional and leave out telling him its down to him. From the sounds of him, he wouldn't care anyway!
Why not resign in a professional letter to him, but book an appt with HR for the same day and hand over an exact copy of the letter but explain the the reason you are leaving is your boss. Maybe things have gone so far that they ask you to stay while they deal with either sacking or moving your boss?
I don't know the size of structure of your company, so this may not be feasible, but it seems unfair on you to leave a job because of someone else yet not have the opportunity to highlight this fact to those who should be dealing with him.

Itsjustafleshwound Mon 01-Aug-11 10:03:34

No I wouldn't!!

Keep it professional. The issue is he is still your boss and the company are still happy for you to report to him (sanctioning his actions??) - just keep it professional and walk away head held high

Mitmoo Mon 01-Aug-11 10:04:41

Mumnot I love the typo tits The boss does sounds like one.

I wouldn't rant about him when I said put it in I'd write something like "due to your unreasonable behaviour, harrassment and bullying I am leaving on x date".

TO the point recorded and evidenced.

Pixieonthemoor Mon 01-Aug-11 10:04:44

You are going through the proper channels with your complaint to the HR department. He is going to know the reason why you are resigning so honestly I would just let HR deal with it. He sounds thoroughly nasty and aggressive so why open yourself up to that sort of confrontation. I hope, in resigning, that you will feel free as a bird (I know I did). Unless, of course, other that this git you really like the job. Give him enough rope and he will eventually hang himself.....

Mitmoo Mon 01-Aug-11 10:06:27

As an aside why not give the resignation to HR and not the dipstick boss?

mumnotmachine Mon 01-Aug-11 10:08:07

Oh feck- LOL!!

altinkum Mon 01-Aug-11 10:08:36

mumnotmachine Mon 01-Aug-11 10:08:45

blush

mumnotmachine Mon 01-Aug-11 10:09:45

I would be looking for another job first tbh- can you afford to be without an income?

mumnotmachine Mon 01-Aug-11 10:10:51

Although what youve written- it seems no income is a regular thing anyway.

Once another job is secured I would have great pleasure in telling him to stick his job right where the sun dont shine

Mitmoo Mon 01-Aug-11 10:11:15

Mumnot It made me laugh, that's good. grin

catgirl1976 Mon 01-Aug-11 10:12:21

Sounds like constructive dismissal to me. Put it in your letter but keep it factual, not emotional

altinkum Mon 01-Aug-11 10:15:01

HeatherSmall Mon 01-Aug-11 10:19:31

Go for constructive dismissal after you've left, I got a £10k out of court settlement due to my tit of a boss 5 years ago and it just about made up for all the distress too.

mumnotmachine Mon 01-Aug-11 10:34:15

Was going to say the same as Heathersmall- get out then see what ACAS have to say

altinkum Mon 01-Aug-11 10:35:30

altinkum Mon 01-Aug-11 10:51:58

catgirl1976 Mon 01-Aug-11 10:54:41

Personally I think you are letting him off a bit.

Maybe a line that said "due to my on-going difficulties with my manager, which the HR department are fully aware of and for which he is currently under a written warning......" - something like that, but I am not employment law / legal expert.

I would get ACAS or similar to look over this before I handed it in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now