Talk

Advanced search

'MAT LEAVE'

(51 Posts)
Northernlurker Sun 31-Jul-11 22:37:20

AIBU to HATE HATE HATE the use of the term 'mat leave'. As in 'I was on mat leave', 'I am going on mat leave', 'my wife is on mat leave' 'I'm back from mat leave'

Aaaaaaaargh it sets me teeth on edge!

It's maternity leave or parental leave or time at home b/feeding and eating chocolate. It has NOTHING to do with carpets!

I can't bear it. I was at a friend's yesterday and somebody said 'Oh that was just before I went on mat leave' and I wanted to bludgeon her with a cake slice.

AIBU?

sixlostmonkeys Sun 31-Jul-11 22:38:51

yabu and possibly rather bored...?

BeerTricksPotter Sun 31-Jul-11 22:39:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GreenEyesandHam Sun 31-Jul-11 22:40:26

NO.

I hate it as well.

I pronounce it 'm'ternity' anyway, so it sounds do wrong. At the very least it should be MUT LEAVE

DaisySteiner Sun 31-Jul-11 22:40:27

Hahahaha, I'm with you on that one, it bugs me too. Not as much as the phrase 'matty leave'. I openly admit that I am totally unreasonable and get far too worked up about things like this. I think we're both BU grin

LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Sun 31-Jul-11 22:40:35

Do you mean a slice of cake or a cake slicer?

Northernlurker Sun 31-Jul-11 22:41:49

Exactly BTP - especially not to a naff short little sound that means something totally different. Ugh!

sixlostmonkeys - you use the term don't you? Just watch out for me and my cake slice grin

StealthPolarBear Sun 31-Jul-11 22:42:46

NorthernLurker is that you?
And I find it highly amusing that you both started and finished your post with AIBU? "Unreasonable" is fairly long but the other words are short
Unless you're talking about people saying it? I would type it but never say it oh no

StealthPolarBear Sun 31-Jul-11 22:43:20

Does that cake slice have any crumbs on it?

ButterflySally Sun 31-Jul-11 22:43:27

Are you equally distressed by other abbreviations, such as sat nav?

YABU... People abbreviate things.

MatthewWrightOffTheTelly Sun 31-Jul-11 22:43:53

YABU.

Though if someone ever says Matty Leave near me I will have to borrow your cake slice.

YouDoTheMath Sun 31-Jul-11 22:44:35

I have to admit, although I'm slightly ashamed to do so, that I agree. But I'm a bit extreme in that it bugs me when people say uni instead of university, or my friend who says her child's birthday is "ninth of Jan" rather than January.

Yes, I fully expect to get flamed...

I wish I could lighten up - but I blame the primary school teacher who drummed it into me all those years ago that abbreviated words were not acceptable!

sixlostmonkeys Sun 31-Jul-11 22:49:12

No, I don't say mat leave. I have never said mat leave. I never had mat leave...
(I had the baby then went straight back to work in t'mill)
grin

mat leave, mat mat mat...... put that cake slice down!!! grin

StealthPolarBear Sun 31-Jul-11 22:49:21

Did he/she say "DON'T ABBREVIATE"?

EdithWeston Sun 31-Jul-11 22:52:12

Just wondering - do you also say eg "influenza" in full, every time?

It's a similar example, as it's four syllables taken down to one for everyday use. And (doesn't work as well on page as out loud) influenza is nothing to do with whether you flew.

CarnivalBizarre Sun 31-Jul-11 22:58:46

I could quite easily murdered a friend with a cake slice yesterday when she asked if I was 'goin down the chazzer to get some bargains'

The 'chazzer' is her term for the charity shop AAARRRGHHHHH

DO NOT ABBREVIATE !

big issues with abbreviation

<needs to get a life - or hobby which doesn't include picking up on peoples abbreviations>

YouDoTheMath Sun 31-Jul-11 22:59:05

Pretty much. I remember "television" being one of her favourites. I still say it today!!!

sixlostmonkeys Sun 31-Jul-11 22:59:24

these people on 'mat' leave? Do they put the baby in a 'pram'? smile

StealthPolarBear Sun 31-Jul-11 23:05:01

no but they might put the bubs in there

Northernlurker Sun 31-Jul-11 23:06:32

I abbreviate lots of things - just not this word in this way. grin

I like sat nav.

It's just mat leave that turns me all peculiar. 'Matty leave' I am glad to say has never crossed my path but if it does the cake slice will be swishing!! (Yes - thing you slice cake with not slice of said cake.)

AuntiePickleBottom Sun 31-Jul-11 23:06:44

Why is abbreviation such a long word when it means to shorten something

StealthPolarBear Sun 31-Jul-11 23:07:18

OK well...dare I say it...NL, I will wish you good night. Now put down the cake slice grin

sixlostmonkeys Sun 31-Jul-11 23:07:34

and when on mat leave they would push bubs in the pram on the 'path'?

StealthPolarBear Sun 31-Jul-11 23:08:45

night hunz

tethersend Sun 31-Jul-11 23:09:22

YABU.

I am getting a rug later this month and am taking time off to care for it. It's ignorance like this which is going to make my life difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now