Talk

Advanced search

To be sooooo bored of listening to pregnant friend

(28 Posts)
maisiebabe Sun 31-Jul-11 21:21:57

go on and on about EVERY LITTLE THING to do with her bump, morning sickness, water retention, constipation, how she can fold her new buggy singlehandedly, yada, yada, yada while showing no bloody interest what so ever in me, my kids or life...? It's been an 8 month marathon of a fixed smile/ grimace as she chunters on and on oblivious to the fact the rest of us have lives. And I can' t see it getting any better when this baby is born.... May have to leave the country.... wink

CristinaTheAstonishing Sun 31-Jul-11 21:27:08

Were you the restrained sort then? smile

LucyLastik Sun 31-Jul-11 21:30:58

If it's her first, YABU.

Kayano Sun 31-Jul-11 21:33:02

I feel the same about my friend. I'm pg now and deliberately don't talk to her about it cos she always turns it around to herself, if I have to hear about her omelette cravings of 3 years ago one more time I swear I will drop kick her lol

smallpotato Sun 31-Jul-11 21:43:28

My pregnant friend (with her 1st) has taken to giving me advice about my toddler based on all the child development books she has been reading. She also can't get through a conversation without saying 'well according to Gina Ford...' at least 3 times. Did you know blackout blinds were all Gina Ford's idea? Not just, y'know, common sense. And it goes without saying her baby will be sleeping through the night at 8 weeks. Because Gina Ford says... I'm just smiling and nodding and waiting grin

CarnivalBizarre Sun 31-Jul-11 22:13:08

grin @ smallpotato I had to walk away from my sis yesterday while we were shopping and she bumped into an old school friend who has a 2 yr old DD - my sis started offering parenting tips to this old friend, my sis has a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old and cannot parent either of them without shrieking like a harpie or leave them to get themselves up in the morning to eat pombears (I kid you not) or other shite out of the snack cupboard so she can have a lie in

I could barely contain myself when she offered sleeping tips such as 'oh just get a portable DVD player, put a film on and she will be asleep in 10 minutes' or 'let her read her own bedtime story, she'll soon get bored and fall asleep'

hmm

YouDoTheMath Sun 31-Jul-11 22:16:44

I always thought there was only so much you can say about pregnancy... But some people do seem to think they're the only one who's ever been pregnant / expect everyone else to be fascinated. I always felt conscious that my pregnancy wasn't the centre of everyone else's world, so I shut up unless asked!

whackamole Sun 31-Jul-11 23:04:02

I had a friend at work who was the same - used to drive me batty!

I remember coming into work, she was having a moan saying she would never go through pregnancy again, it was the worst thing ever etc etc. She had morning sickness pretty much all the way through, but not ever bad enough that she needed to be hospitalised (as another colleague was) or that she lost a lot of weight.

I'm afraid I got cross with her blush and told her she was lucky she and her baby were healthy. I had severe problems with my first pregnancy (twins) and really tried to downplay it because it was really difficult.

Can't say I'm totally proud of myself for that outburst but at least I didn't have her blethering on all the time after that!

ledkr Sun 31-Jul-11 23:21:41

whack i had colleague sitting next to me all thru my pg,i heard every detail,saw every scan pic and she came in late and left early every day cos she was tired. She wouldnt do half of the work required,climb a flight of stairs or lift a file. I was literally twice as pg as her,43 with 4 other kids,i did all the things she wouldnt.She never once asked about me. I saw her the other day and she didnt even look into my pram,just whittled on about her terrible labour and pfb.
My sis is now pg and texts me daily with symptoms hmm

Northernlurker Sun 31-Jul-11 23:29:06

A woman I work with announced her second pregnancy at 5 weeks. She talks about it a lot. In fact I believe she may be the first woman ever to have a second child? hmm
A week or two ago I asked her to go and help another member of staff - she went off grumbling that she shouldn't be lifting anything. I had to bite my tongue so hard to stop myself saying 'you are a tiney wee bit pregnant, no reason you can't lift things. Your baby is fine in there, it's going to be a long 8 months if you keep this up'.

PelvicFloorOfSteel Sun 31-Jul-11 23:33:35

This is the real reason why it's traditional to not announce pregnancy until 12 weeks, to avoid boring friends and colleagues to death. At least that way it's only 6 months rather than 8...

Northernlurker Sun 31-Jul-11 23:34:46

Amen to that pelvic. I could not believe it when we heard about as soon as the pregnancy test came out. It's just such a long time.....

ledkr Sun 31-Jul-11 23:53:02

northern i asked my colleague if she was only planning the one child,when she said no,i mumbled something about having to get 2 other kids out of the door before starting work and that i also felt sick and knackered,the worse thing was tho bosses are scared of pg women so she got away with blue murder whilst pretty much carried on as normal.

Whatmeworry Mon 01-Aug-11 00:37:45

Just start rattling on about yours, they quickly trot off and find another victim listener smile

FreudianSlipper Mon 01-Aug-11 00:42:20

according to Gina Ford hilarious i would just have to laugh at that then i would tell them to burn the book

aww its her first, we have all been pregnancy/baby/toddler/children bores at times but we never get bored of talking about it when its in relation to ourselves

ChunkyMonkeyMother Mon 01-Aug-11 00:51:15

Oh god in heaven I am glad there are others that have to indure this shit!!! One of my fbook friends announced her pregnancy about 2 hours after she had had sex! Her status read "Oh that definitely felt like the one" - the next day "X feels pregnant" the next day "Bought an early pregnancy test, wonder if it'll pick it up" - an hour later "Pregnancy test is faulty, going to docs tomorrow to have blood test" - Next day "Stupid doc, doesn't respect me just because I'm a young mother, well me and Jayden/Lilly will be fine without that dick"

I swear to you, I nearly deleted her but then I kind of thought "I would lke to see where this is going" - She is about 6 weeks now and has ALREADY (or atlest told fbook) put a deposit down on a pram and bought maternity jeans. She still maintains her Doctor was in the wrong for not testing her at 3 days pregnant!

I go to uni with her so I just know that come September she will be parading around with her barely 3 month old bump in massive maternity clothing!

Ha ha ha WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

jasper Mon 01-Aug-11 00:54:23

pregnancy chat is ALWAYS dull. Unless you are pregnant too

stupefy Mon 01-Aug-11 01:04:15

Dh and I went to see Harry Potter last week and ended up sitting infront of the only woman to have ever been pregnant in the history of humanity..
I swear the entire cinema wanted to throttle her by the time the lights went down and I was personally tempted to shove my whole bucket of popcorn in her gob at once just to shut her the hell up. I felt sorry for her friends.

Poor cow.

I bet she'll blush about it one day.

Andrewofgg Mon 01-Aug-11 07:55:58

There are many women - and quite a lot of men - who think they invented the process all by themselves. Nothing you can do about it.

hester Mon 01-Aug-11 08:02:11

Oh god, I think I was the original pregnancy bore - though not as bad as ChunkyMonkey's friend grin. The only thing that saved those around me was that I spent most of the 9 months asleep. In my defence, I had been trying for years and years and years to get pregnant, and was about to give up, so it did feel like a complete miracle. Not so miraculous for those around me, though.

6 years and 2 kids on, I'm now too tired to blether. That, and I reckon I bored myself by the end, so have moved on to other more interesting topics.

BrawToken Mon 01-Aug-11 08:05:42

My pal was like this - the only person ever to be pregnant grin

biddysmama Mon 01-Aug-11 08:10:29

im pregnant and pregnancy talk is dull especially when its their first time (its my 6th but hopefully 4th baby)

exoticfruits Mon 01-Aug-11 08:20:59

It will be far, far worse once she has had it!

exoticfruits Mon 01-Aug-11 08:21:36

Probably she will improve after the first 7 yrs!

Andrewofgg Mon 01-Aug-11 09:07:52

And there are some of us - again of both genders - who are happy to soak it up in the work context. Better hope she finds one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now