Advanced search

To NEED to live by the sea.

(129 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Sun 31-Jul-11 21:09:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubyrubyruby Sun 31-Jul-11 21:10:04

CaptainNancy Sun 31-Jul-11 21:14:28

YES! I do rrr, I grew up fairly near the coast and we could just jaunt off to the beach if the weather looked good in the morning. Now it takes us until midday to get there...

I really miss the sea, and keep threatening DH that we're running away to live in a cottage by the sea. He won't though sad

NoCarbsBeforeMarbs Sun 31-Jul-11 21:16:07

Yes me!

Love being by the sea- feel like I can breathe there, so fed up with dirty Leicester air.
And DS is very 'lively' but turns into a whole different boy at the seaside, calm and lovely grin

I'd really like to move one day.

emsyj Sun 31-Jul-11 21:16:36

YANBU. It is very real IMO, the need to be near the sea.

You can see the sea from our house, we are less than 50 yards from the prom. It is the sole reason we bought this house. The sea was the big thing I missed when we lived in London.

BearGryllsBra Sun 31-Jul-11 21:17:53

Me. I love the sea. I feel hemmed in and claustrophobic where we live now as I grew up by the sea. I can't pinpoint what it is, just a feeling that I'm on the edge and the whole world is out there over that ocean ... silly cow that I am grin. You are not alone rubyrubyruby.

CaptainNancy Sun 31-Jul-11 21:18:13

I don't think he understands the pull of the sea, because he has never lived closer than 3 hours from the coast.

We had a friend who was almost going insane from living here, as she grew up in a very agrarian country, where everyone upped sticks in the summer, and moved to the coast for the good weather. She had to move in the end, even though it meant the end of her relationship, as it was too much.

I think the sea puts a chink of wilderness in your soul [profound]

CaptainNancy Sun 31-Jul-11 21:19:53

I feel very saddened that my children have not been to the coast even more than 3 times (smallest, just once) sad

emsyj Sun 31-Jul-11 21:21:44

Sea Fever by John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Blubell Sun 31-Jul-11 21:23:26

Me! Lived 10 minutes from lots of beaches all my life but had to move 120 miles away from the sea 2 years ago and it kills me. I crave the salty, cold, english sea air on my face sad My husband just doesn't get it, but he's never lived near the coast. I feel your pain.

letthembe Sun 31-Jul-11 21:24:12

Oh god I love the sea - no matter which season! There is something so magical and atmospheric about the seaside. Luckily I am 15 miles away. And we holiday every year by the coast. DH and I are thinking about buying a holiday home .... one day.

Xbellesx Sun 31-Jul-11 21:26:12

you're not alone, my mum "had" to live near the sea, and I get withdrawal symptoms if I'm not there once a fortnight a least. I now live 3 miles from the nearest beach.

thefirstMrsDeVere Sun 31-Jul-11 21:27:53

I am desperate to live by the sea. Its not going to happen. To move I would have to buy a place that is adapted for OH's needs and near a special school for DS2 and there are our jobs to think about.

So I am opening a post office account next week and I am going to save and save and save and save and buy a static caravan in Norfolk or Suffolk.

It will be right on the sea and and all the beige draylon inside will be stripped out and replaced with lovely cotton fabrics. I will pain the rooms pink and it will be my shabby chic haven by the sea.

Sometimes the thought of it is what keeps me going.

(even though I know statics are beyond the pale to some MNers grin )

happywheezer Sun 31-Jul-11 21:31:05

I'm with you on this one.
I always feel so much better near the sea.
I originally come from Cardiff and often went to Barry Island and every holiday upto 11 was Porthcawl. It was the best holiday.
Then I moved to Solihull and a village that is the furthest away from the sea anywhere in Britain. I hated it.
Now I live in the west country and I love it. Been to Devon recently which was wonderful.
Trying to pursuade husband to buy me a caravan somewhere by the sea. I like it simple too.

I was a teacher in Solihull too and I was shiocked when a large amount of my class had never seen the sea in the UK. That was surprising and I guess I took it for granted that I lived in Wales.

NotQuiteSoDesperate Sun 31-Jul-11 21:31:24

Oh, that is my dream too! But I don't think we have enough money to buy a house by the sea. I hate living in the centre of the country, so far from the sea.

GreenEyesandHam Sun 31-Jul-11 21:32:10

Nah

I love going to the seaside, but I've never felt the 'pull'. Probably because I've never lived near the coast.

I understand what you mean though, I could never live anywhere flat grin. I'm used to great big fuck off hills, it's a landscape I'm comfortable with. If I ever go anywhere flat for too long, I get a bit edgy- like the sky is going to fall down grin

Moodykat Sun 31-Jul-11 21:33:25

I grew up with a beach at the end of the garden. Moved 2 hours away to be with DH and I still don't think he gets the sacrifice! Yeah, I miss my friends but it's the sea I miss most! Luckily my dad still lives there!

kerstina Sun 31-Jul-11 21:46:59

YANBU I have come back from the seaside yesterday to my 2nd city home town and I feel really really down and cannot wait to be back to the wide open space and fresh air of the seaside.

emsies Sun 31-Jul-11 21:52:24

YANBU. I grew up by the sea and even if I didn't visit it all the time I knew it was there. Uni at Oxford was hard feeling "trapped in"!! My husband and I lived on the edge of london for a while but it was in a grotty flat and we've returned home to the south to a house (yay) not far from the sea and life is so much better when you can just go and look at the sea (and countryside and and and!)

rubyrubyruby Sun 31-Jul-11 21:55:58

rubyrubyruby Sun 31-Jul-11 21:57:55

emsyj Sun 31-Jul-11 22:00:32

DH quite often walks down to the prom with his morning cuppa rubyrubyruby! If the house is quiet and he's not around I peek out of the bedroom window and I can normally see him leaning on the railing with his coffee!

rubyrubyruby Sun 31-Jul-11 22:11:46

rumpleteaser Sun 31-Jul-11 22:12:00

Me too! I didn't grow up near the sea but I lived there for about 4 yrs and now I miss it terribly! Ds is one and has only been on the beach twice and he loved it. It would be my dream to move somewhere by the coast but too difficult with money and dh wouldn't leave his family, work etc.. sigh...
We are only 2 hours away from beautiful beaches but we just don't go often enough.
Even in crap windy, rainy, stormy weather, walking along the beach is the best place to be!

PumpkinBones Sun 31-Jul-11 22:15:23

I live in a city on a coast, with a large port, so not exactly easy access to beaches (about 20-30 min drive to an actual beach) but I definitely need to live near the sea. I couldn't ever imagine living anywhere landlocked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now