Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you flash

(52 Posts)
chinam Sun 31-Jul-11 17:37:33

Driving home the other evening and three cars that were travelling in the opposite direction flashed their lights at me to warn me that there was a police speed monitoring van further up the road. I wasn't speeding btw. I don't alert people to speed traps because I think drivers know the speed limits and they either choose to obey them or not. Do you alert others drivers, and if so, why?

Shinyshoes1 Sun 31-Jul-11 17:38:29

no I don't

EuphemiaMcGonagall Sun 31-Jul-11 17:39:14

No I don't. If they're speeding, let them get caught. grin

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Sun 31-Jul-11 17:39:20

Yep, I always alert other drivers. Knightess of the road and all that implies.

feckwit Sun 31-Jul-11 17:39:56

yes I do

AuntiePickleBottom Sun 31-Jul-11 17:40:22

i don't because then i could be in trouble with the police

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343959/Driver-flashed-headlights-warn-motorists-speed-trap-fined.html

MyCatHasStaff Sun 31-Jul-11 17:41:07

I don't, but I am also a bit thick and don't realise that's why they're flashing me - I start to check if my lights are on and stuff like that! But then, I don't speed so it doesn't occur to me.

alowVera Sun 31-Jul-11 17:41:45

I break the law and flash for speed traps. I also flash if there is static traffic ahead (on their side) that they wouldn't be able to see (bends in roads etc) but I don't flash people out of junctions.

GypsyMoth Sun 31-Jul-11 17:42:34

No I don't

But I remember as a child going on loads with my dad in the lorry and they were all warming each other via cb radio!!

cookielove Sun 31-Jul-11 17:44:36

Yes i also flash other drivers, the only thing speed traps are is money makers.

Driftwood999 Sun 31-Jul-11 17:45:15

Yes, I do, it's just sharing what you know. Furthermore, it's not just speed traps that I flash for, it's hazzards/accidents.

LadyThumb Sun 31-Jul-11 17:47:04

No I don't - they takes what they gets! But I do flash and wave my arm out of the window if there's been an accident on bendy roads.

PenguinArmy Sun 31-Jul-11 17:48:12

depends on the traffic,

ChocolateTeacup Sun 31-Jul-11 17:51:16

I flash for:

Car headlights not on when dark
Accident ahead - Also use hazards

Never occurred to me to use it for speed cameras tbh

BlimminEck Sun 31-Jul-11 17:52:01

no

Driftwood999 Sun 31-Jul-11 17:54:24

Izzywhizzyletsgetbusy I like your comment about the "knightness" of the road". It prompts me to add that I feel very uncomfortable at passing by a stranded car/occupants (other than on a motorway/ A road) I have childhood memories of my father stopping to offering assistance.

olibeansmummy Sun 31-Jul-11 17:54:46

No I don't think to tbh! Dh does but I always tell him if he did it to me, I'd be going mad wondering why he was flashing me lol blush

thestringcheeseincident Sun 31-Jul-11 17:55:57

No, people shouldn't speed. So tough if they get a ticket.

SquidgyBiscuits Sun 31-Jul-11 18:00:56

Yes, because I'm not a twat.

Speed traps don't save lives, they are merely money spinning devices. And EVERYBODY speeds sometimes.

I speed as I tend to follow the flow of traffic, which is the safest way to drive. Driving slowly when everybody else is doing just above the limit is an invitation for an accident.

pinkgirlythoughts Sun 31-Jul-11 18:06:26

That guy in the linked article is from my town- I used to see people flashing all the time, but thinking about it, I haven't seen anyone do it since he got in trouble. Mind you, I'm a bit like mycat and start checking if my lights are on when I get flashed, as I don't speed, but am constantly forgetting my lights!

TarquinGyrfalcon Sun 31-Jul-11 18:06:46

Not long after I had passed my driving test I pulled over and asked two policeman if they could see anything wrong with my car because loads of other drivers had been flashing at me.
They could hardly speak for laughing as they told me people were warning me that they were parked in a layby.
blush
Mind you, I don't know why anyone bothered to flash me cos my clapped out car wasn't capable of breaking any speed limit!

TheJiminyConjecture Sun 31-Jul-11 18:11:58

Yep and always put hazards on if the traffic in front is stationary on the motorway. (I use a horrendous junction to get to work where people have to go from 70 mph to stationary often in a few hundred yards)

ragged Sun 31-Jul-11 18:14:21

No, but I'm clueless if people flash at me for no obvious reason. blush.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 31-Jul-11 18:14:22

Message withdrawn

scaredwhatsnext Sun 31-Jul-11 18:36:47

yes i do , but like alowvera i don't flash headlights at people on junctions etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now