Talk

Advanced search

I want to give something back to the community?

(12 Posts)
create Sun 31-Jul-11 15:49:02

I'll be taking redundancy in a few weeks time after working continuously since I left school (20+ years)

My DC are too old to really need me as a SAHM, but that's pretty much what I'm going to do for a while at least. DH has just taken on a more demanding job and could use some TLC at home for a change, I want to really get on top of my garden and run it as a (small) smallholding, I want to be there when DC get home from school and I want to do some charity work with some wildlife and community organisations.

As my end date draws closer, I'm being repeatedly asked what I plan to do. I've done pretty well in my job and I know that the idea that I'm just packing it all in surprises (shocks) some people, but I need a less pretentious way to say "I want to give something back"!

create Sun 31-Jul-11 15:49:48

to ! AIBU To want to give something back...?

BitOfFun Sun 31-Jul-11 15:51:13

There isn't a less pretentious way of saying it.

Onemorning Sun 31-Jul-11 15:52:07

Why not say you want to give something back? If you're doing it for genuine reasons you're not being pretentious. And, if people believe you are, that's their problem, not yours. Good luck with your charity work.

bruffin Sun 31-Jul-11 15:55:11

Just say you want some time for yourself and family and will probably do some volunteer work as well.

Greenshadow Sun 31-Jul-11 15:59:09

How about standing as a Parish Councillor? There are rarely elections and frequently vacancies. Most people aren't political - just those who, like you, want to give something back, or make the community a 'better place'.

Can be very rewarding (and also looks pretty damn good on a CV).

LineRunner Sun 31-Jul-11 16:04:14

"I shall be doing community work."

issey6cats Sun 31-Jul-11 19:18:28

ask at your local independant cat or dog, wildlife rescue centers as the smaller ones always need people, to either work in the center, stroke cats, walk dogs or fundraising

issey6cats Sun 31-Jul-11 19:19:59

just say to people i have had a varied working life and will now have the time to give a lttle of my time back to the community i live in

squeaver Sun 31-Jul-11 19:20:54

I'll be doing some voluntary work. That's all you need to say. People work it our for themselves.

Good for you, btw.

ImperialBlether Sun 31-Jul-11 19:22:20

You could say "I'm taking some down time" in an American accent.

Tortu Sun 31-Jul-11 19:22:59

I'm taking a sabbatical?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now