Talk

Advanced search

to think it is not on to start drilling in the road at 7.15am on a Sunday?

(14 Posts)
PetShopGirl Sun 31-Jul-11 09:55:28

Roadworks been going on outside our house for the last week. Has caused a fair amount of upheaval as the road has been closed and we haven't been able to park near the house, but hey ho these things need to be done and we have been following instructions like good citizens [angelic emoticon].

BUT I am now seeing red as they turned up this morning at 7.15am and started using pneumatic drills and other noisy road-mending paraphernalia, all the while merrily effing and jeffing away.

We sleep at the front of the house and obviously the windows are open as it's so hot. Absolutely no hope of any sort of lie-in.

PLUS all the signs say there is no parking between Monday and Saturday so DH left his car outside yesterday evening (thinking it would be okay for today) and they rang the doorbell to get us to move it. DH was on a stag do last night and is probably still over the limit and when hungover, quite frankly, is no use to man nor beast anyway so I had to get up.

Ended up having a stand-up row in my pyjamas with one of the workmen. Like a fishwife. Quite enjoyable actually.

He couldn't see any difference between a Sunday and any other day of the week and actually said 'do you think we want to be here at 7.30 on a Sunday?'. Yes, but you're BEING PAID to be here!! (and probably a hefty whack of overtime too). We just have to put up with losing our only chance of a tiny lie-in before we go back to our work tomorrow. And he had a go at me about the car being there - EVEN THOUGH THE SIGNS ONLY SAY NO PARKING MONDAY TO SATURDAY.

AIBU to think there is a difference between Sundays and other days of the week, and that 7.15am is too early to be drilling and driving massive noisy machines around (seriously, it is ridiculously loud)?

Oh, and I do feel a bit bad as obviously the workmen are just doing what they're told, but I didn't have anyone else to take it out on. And he was cruising for a fight as much as I was. And, I think, probably enjoyed it as much as I did.

deliciousdevilwoman Sun 31-Jul-11 09:58:10

I feel your pain! Next door is having an extension built and the banging starts at 7am every week day.....8AM on a Sunday. Deep joy! UANBU

RevoltingPeasant Sun 31-Jul-11 09:58:23

YANBU - at first I was all set to say, 'Maybe there was an emergency and they needed to sort it out fast' but sounds like not.

You have my sympathies - my surprisingly sprightly elderly neighbours were out in the garden drinking and talking till gone 3 last night, so it was close windows + suffocate or open them + lie awake gnashing teeth.

You could complain to the council, though frankly, if they're working at that rate, they're more likely to get doner sooner and out of your hair.

IvyAndGold Sun 31-Jul-11 10:02:34

YANBU, luckily we live in quite a quiet area now but it used to drive me mad!

In the city center by us it's the opposite; they have been working on the roads for months now, there are always at least 20 workmen there, but we have NEVER seen any more that 6 working! Last time we drove past one guy was laughing with four others about something on his phone, and two were sitting in their van nodding and singing along with the radio!

DaisySteiner Sun 31-Jul-11 10:03:26

dd - you might want to check with the council whether they're allowed to do that. When we did our extension, we were expressly forbidden from allowing work to start before 8am during the week, 9am on Saturday (I think) and not at all on Sundays.

purpleknittingmum Sun 31-Jul-11 10:12:23

Definitely call the council about this, they must be breaking some law doing loud work at that time on a Sunday

MackerelOfFact Sun 31-Jul-11 10:14:59

YANBU at all. I live above some shops, and one of the shops below has started taking deliveries from a lorry that makes the most peculiar beep-beep-bop noise (louder than a reversing beep, longer, and more sporadic) at 5am every chuffing morning. I can cope with lorries and crates and trollies, but the beeping is loud and seriously annoying.

PetShopGirl Sun 31-Jul-11 10:28:09

purpleknittingmum - our Council's emergency noise pollution 'out of hours line' (ha!) is closed between 2.00am and 7.30pm on a Sunday <remembers the time the students across the road had a 100-strong karaoke/drum n bass party that didn't finish until 11.00am on a Sunday. Happy days...>

There doesn't seem much point reporting them once they open these evening as the works are due to finish tomorrow anyway. Or do you think I should anyway in case it stops them doing it elsewhere? I kind of agree with RevoltingPeasant though, that in general the more hours they can put in, the quicker they can get the job done and are out of people's hair. It's just 7.15am seems so ridiculously early.

blackeyedsusan Sun 31-Jul-11 10:47:21

it sounds like they are behind schedule and have been dragged into work to finish.

not great for you though. and probably not great for the workmen either.

hope you feel better for having a rant, I would be feeling peeved at 7.15 on a sunday too.

TheBolter Sun 31-Jul-11 10:53:52

YANBU - I think it's sad actually. Whether you're religious or not, (and I'm not particularly) Sundays should always been seen as a little bit sacred, a little bit calmer and a little bit lazier. This kind of thing wouldn't have been done twenty or even ten years ago. Iget funny if someone tries to call us before nine on a Sunday!

Complain - if people don't make a stand about this it'll continue! Shame on the council.

Last Boxing Day we had a burst water pipe and the ensuing noise totally ruined what should have been a peaceful day. It was an emergency though, so we just had to suck it up and be grateful they were willing to fix it that day!

Karstan Sun 31-Jul-11 10:59:00

YAB a little U, it's a one off not a regular occurrence.

If my road was closed then I'd accept one day of Sunday working to get the job finished.

PetShopGirl Sun 31-Jul-11 11:16:57

Karston - I don't have a problem with them working on a Sunday per se, but would it not be reasonable for them to wait until maybe after 10am or so? I don't see why that can't be the case if most shops can't open before 10am and they don't even disturb anybody. We know that it's not an emergency situation.

TheBolter (love your nickname by the way - are you a fellow Mitford devotee?) - I'm not religious but I did think about flinging 'day of rest' into the argument. I didn't quite have the conviction to carry it off in the end though. I wholeheartedly agree that there is something different about Sundays and I reckon they should be kept a bit 'ringfenced'.

PetShopGirl Sun 31-Jul-11 11:18:14

Sorry, Karstan not Karston.

onagar Sun 31-Jul-11 14:09:54

Yanbu to feel that way, but these things have to be done and sometimes they have to be done when the least number of people are using the street.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now