Talk

Advanced search

DD has eaten salt....should I worry?

(14 Posts)
MumblingRagDoll Sat 30-Jul-11 18:36:57

I don't know how much...she's 3. She was found with the whole container just now...eating it from her hand.

What do I do? I have given her water....she was probably alone with it for 5 minutes....DH thinks if she'd eaten a dangerous amount she would have chucked up.....is he right? confused

LineRunner Sat 30-Jul-11 18:38:36

How much was in the container. How much could she possibly have had.

Tbh, short of you actually injecting it into her on a daily basis, I can't see the harm.

belgo Sat 30-Jul-11 18:39:10

Can she tell you how much she has eaten?

Selks Sat 30-Jul-11 18:39:12

Can you guesstimate how much? I'd maybe ring NHS direct for advice.

MadamDeathstare Sat 30-Jul-11 18:40:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StrawHat Sat 30-Jul-11 18:40:46

I second NHS direct, put your mind at rest with someone you know to be a qualified health type person smile

MissPenteuth Sat 30-Jul-11 18:43:20

I thought this was going to be about someone's PFB looking at eating a crisp or something.

Unless i was a bucket of the stuff I'd guess it won't do any harm, unless she is part slug wink Give her plenty of water though.

MumblingRagDoll Sat 30-Jul-11 18:43:39

No....she'd be as likely to tell me she'd eaten a bus load as a spoonful...she's economical with the truth.

She could potentially have eaten an ounce or a sprinkle...

LineRunner Sat 30-Jul-11 18:45:43

Honestly, you would have to be forcing it down her for her to ingest a dangerous amount.

MadamDeathstare Sat 30-Jul-11 18:52:41

OhKit Sat 30-Jul-11 18:54:44

Surely it would taste so disgusting that she wouldn't have eaten very much?

KurriKurri Sat 30-Jul-11 19:35:40

Phone NHS direct, - my elderly father ate a lot of salt, and they told my mother to sit up with him all night to check he was OK. I'm sure she'll be fine and won't have eaten very much, but you need to phone and get their advice.

QueenStromba Sat 30-Jul-11 20:38:58

1 gram per kilo of body weight is enough to kill. I'd say take her to A&E to be on the safe side, they'll probably keep her overnight to monitor for siges of hypernatremia

twoistwiceasfun Sun 31-Jul-11 18:26:25

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now