Talk

Advanced search

to not bother cooking?

(10 Posts)
macdoodle Sat 30-Jul-11 18:10:35

I am single working parent, with 2 DD's (9 and 3).
I dont especially enjoy cooking, I'm ok not brilliant. But I make an effort to feed us good healthy tasty meals.
Today I spent ages cooking a delicious (if I say so myself) bolognaise sauce, with little wholemeal pasta shells.
DD1 picked at it for ages, then said she wasnt hungry. 5 mins later she asked for a bag of crisps angry She didnt get them. There is a big bowl of fruit if she is hungry.
DD2 refused the bolognaise and insisted on plain pasta with cheese sprinkled on.
Why on earth do I bother?

TotemPole Sat 30-Jul-11 18:16:35

macdoodle, it's annoying when that happens. Would they eat this normally and are just being picky today?

I bet it was lovely, can you pack some up and send it along the internet to me please.

scaredwhatsnext Sat 30-Jul-11 18:19:27

kids can be ungrateful little sods can't they wink
<passes wine >

diddl Sat 30-Jul-11 18:20:20

I share your pain!

Mine are teenagers-never know what they would like, but almost whatever I cook isn´t what they wantedhmm

They will also be raiding the fridge as I´m dishing up, so don´t eat it all & then are hungry before the next meal.

Can you involve the 9yr old in planning/prepping/cooking at all?

LineRunner Sat 30-Jul-11 18:26:43

Ah yes, I remember well the Nigella-soaked turkeys and fairy-roasted parsnips at Christmas that no-one ate but me.

I'm bloody enormous now. A bit like Nigella, actually.

I would say, carry on and keep calm.

SarfEasticated Sat 30-Jul-11 18:28:15

I hope you have frozen the sauce for lasagne! it's pretty demoralising when that happens isn't it - well done for making the effort anyway. can you maybe batch cook stuff, so that when you do feel like cooking you make enough for 3 dinners? I never manage to achieve that, but am always thinking I will!

DizzyKipper Sat 30-Jul-11 20:10:44

How very frustrating, but something to expect from kids? (I'm assuming - I don't know for sure as I'm still ttc the first). I know I'd find that annoying though - I've put a lot of effort into learning to cook in the last year precisely for when I have children.

LineRunner Sat 30-Jul-11 20:12:17

Dizzy, I hope that was Toast 101?

macdoodle Sat 30-Jul-11 20:33:55

They seem to have got more picky TBH. Spag/pasta bol used to be a firm favourite.
It annoys me because they will gulp down fish fingers/nuggest/sausages etc and chips no problem. So I wonder why I bother to make the effort!

GotArt Sat 30-Jul-11 20:42:57

My mom's favourite comment about not wanting to eat what she made was "I'm not a restaurant. You eat what's served or go hungry", which we did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now