Talk

Advanced search

to ask you to recommend a London hotel?

(26 Posts)
LadyOfTheManor Sat 30-Jul-11 13:36:39

I'm so sick of finding sites and getting no where! I would like a hotel in the West End (no further than Marble Arch/Covent Garden/Kensington at a push).

Found a few "mystery" hotels but they're all just a bit too far out. I don't mind paying a bit more for the hotel if it means I'm saving on taxi usage!

Please recommend somewhere! (Not travelling with children or animals so just needs to be adult friendly).

LineRunner Sat 30-Jul-11 13:37:38

Your budget?

LadyOfTheManor Sat 30-Jul-11 13:41:51

No more than £170 a night, preferably no less than 4*.

Will pay a bit more if I'm near enough to the West End that I can walk and not use taxis.

The cheaper the better obviously.

Nancy66 Sat 30-Jul-11 13:51:22

The Holiday Inns on Berkeley street and Welbeck Street both have good, central locations.

I've always liked the Chesterfield - small, boutique 4 star off Berkeley Sq - but you're prob looking at £200 a night there.

Mayfair Hotel on Stratton st worth looking at

If you look at the Last Minute Secret rooms - and then Google the descriptions you can find out which ones they are - they often offer the Sheraton park tower in knightsbridge - bang next to Harvey Nics for a good rate.

QOD Sat 30-Jul-11 13:52:19

www.marble-arch-hotels.com/search.php

I've stayed at the Connaught and it was luvverly! Right above a tube station and within spitting distance of Marble Arch and Primark :O

LadyOfTheManor Sat 30-Jul-11 13:56:06

Well it's for 5 nights so I don't want to increase the budget too much, that's the problem!

Love Marble Arch, will have a look now.

Earlybird Sat 30-Jul-11 13:56:54

I've always heard wonderful things about a hotel in Knightsbridge called Number Sixteen. It may be further out than you'd like, but is is supposed to be lovely, and it fits your budget.

The hotel is part of a chain, with other properties in Haymarket, Soho, Charlotte Street, Covent Garden, etc - but those appear to be more expensive.

Anyway - have a look:

www.firmdale.com/london/number-sixteen

Earlybird Sat 30-Jul-11 14:06:44

A friend worked at this hotel when it just opened. It was touted as trendy, affordable and well situated (just off Tottenham Court Road). No idea what it is like now, but the website looks nice, and it appears to fit your location/budget.

www.myhotels.com/my-hotel-bloomsbury/index.html

Groovee Sat 30-Jul-11 14:08:21

We stayed in the Holiday Inn in mayfair. Round the corner from Green Park Tube station and a short walk to Regent Street and Oxford Street. The breakfast was good too.

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 30-Jul-11 14:38:42

YABU!

LadyOfTheManor Sat 30-Jul-11 14:48:02

Bibbity just find me a hotel and no one will get hurt.

grin

Loving the Bloomsbury "My Hotel"-I just rang, they're doing a deal for 3 nights in a king size suite for £480 which is fab!

catgirl1976 Sat 30-Jul-11 14:50:24

The Corinthian is nice but might be over budget this time of year.

Sheepling Sat 30-Jul-11 15:02:24

I've used the mystery hotel on LM.com twice for london and done marvellously! First one was 5* Metropolitan in Mayfair - think I paid about £150 a night for it, and one of the best I've been to. Modern, contempary and home of Nobu. Free Como Shambhala toiletries (the travel pack costs £20 to buy) and the best mini bar I've ever come across. Also The Met Bar, and Como Shambhala spa. Overlooked Hyde Park, nearest tube is Hyde Park corner or Green Park if I remember correctly.
The second was the Crowne Plaza Kensington, 4*, £110 a night and we got upgraded to a club room. Best bed I've ever slept in, free This Works: sleep products and Arran Aromatics toiletries. Concierge was excellent. Its opposite Gloucster Road tube station.
Theres one just round the corner from Paddington, Abbey something, its dead cheap and the rooms aren't great, but its a base if you wanted something cheaper.
Hope you find a good one!

bellavita Sat 30-Jul-11 15:11:51

The Marriott Renaisence Chancery Court is a stones throw from Convent Garden - very nice.

The Park Lane Hotel in Mayfair - nice too.

Le Meridien Picadilly - lovely.

LadyOfTheManor Sat 30-Jul-11 15:16:44

Thanks Sheepling- great reviews.

The problem I have with last minute is I can't really find the bloody locations-they're so vague and I'm going with my mother who won't travel by tube (hence I need good locations and prices) so I'm going around in circles.

squeakytoy Sat 30-Jul-11 15:24:16

Free Como Shambhala toiletries

grin but they arent "free", because you are paying ridiculously high prices for the place you are staying!!

LOTM, will your mum go on the buses?

Sheepling Sat 30-Jul-11 15:24:22

www.lastminute.com/site/travel/hotels/hotels-details.html?accommCode=210207-1-2-EXT:3583$v1v$&CATID=4

is this one any good?

LadyOfTheManor Sat 30-Jul-11 15:30:43

No. She is really funny about erm germs (she has bi polar and I'm sure she suffers from OCD). She won't touch cash machines or lift buttons/hand rails etc and public transport is another thing...!

squeakytoy Sat 30-Jul-11 15:34:44

Is going to London going to be the best idea then confused.. I dont have those problems and I still feel grubby and germ ridden after a day in town. It really is quite grotty.. and Leicester Square is a scaffolding ridden building site too at the moment...

If I were you I would stay somewhere a bit further out, say Hampton Court (some very nice hotels there) and get the train into London if she doesnt mind using those (our trains down here are kept very clean)..

icooksocks Sat 30-Jul-11 15:36:08

I stayed at a fantastic travelodge kist two mins walk from Waterloo station, great for access to the tube, but I don't suppose that's much help really sad

LadyOfTheManor Sat 30-Jul-11 15:36:38

Trust me, it isn't that easy. I like tube hopping but she really is rigid and won't budge on postcode and area (she used to live in London).

I need to go to Harrods, so it's not a case of going elsewhere and I only go once every 2 years! Might just leave her in the hotel room.

icooksocks Sat 30-Jul-11 15:36:48

Kist = just

squeakytoy Sat 30-Jul-11 15:42:06

I have stayed here, and it is very nice.

bloomsbury square

Lastminute OffersLast minute discounted offers starts from just £59.57 per Double/Twin room

dickiedavisthunderthighs Sat 30-Jul-11 15:48:13

The Cumberland Hotel at Marble Arch is great. Laterooms usually have some good deals for there.
Also like the Chesterfield, very opulent but small and friendly.
The Intercontinental on Park Lane is great as well, amongst all the posh hotels and very nice but much more reasonably priced smile

LadyOfTheManor Sat 30-Jul-11 15:53:05

Squeaky- fab! It's nice and they have offered a 15% discount for booking more than three nights, which is brilliant!

Think I might go with this one...and I can see Oxford Street on the map meaning it's close enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now