Talk

Advanced search

Am I being unreasonable or is my neighbour?

(8 Posts)
VeganMummy Fri 29-Jul-11 14:41:21

This is the first time I've posted in this thread, so hope I won't get burned alive smile. I'm not proud of this but I had a blazing row with our next door neighbour this morning. He is a real nasty piece of work who has made no attempt to be friendly since we moved in. This is the latest thing he's done - he told a visitor to his house that they could park on our driveway, without asking us if this was ok first. I saw them and went out and shouted at them to get off our driveway. He told me I was being stupid and it turned into a full blown row with me telling him several times to piss off. We've only lived here just over a year and they've been on our case right from the start. We had to have building works done last year, on three separate occasions to sort out problems to the house, and they were out there trying to order the builders to leave and making things very unpleasant for everyone concerned. Unfortunately we have a shared accessway, and they have tried to order us to stop using it even though they have no right to do so. Apparently they find cooking smells offensive and sent us a letter ordering us to stop cooking angry etc etc. Am I being reasonable or unreasonable in thinking he is a horrible person who deserves to be yelled at?

cornsilksy Fri 29-Jul-11 14:42:43

they sound awful

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 29-Jul-11 14:46:03

Unfortunately YWBU to shout at his visitors to 'get off our driveway'... A polite request to move would have been less inflammatory perhaps. They've been very U of course but, once things get to the riled and shouting stage, every tiny little thing is going to spark off . Sometimes the community police team can be good at acting as liaison between grumpy neighbours. If you're planning on living there for any length of time it's better to get together and see if something can be worked out.

manicbmc Fri 29-Jul-11 14:46:22

Catalogue every incident and log it with your council/housing association/police. He's a bully and needs sorting out.

Don't enter into any unnecessary wrangling as he's clearly an idiot.

www.problemneighbours.co.uk/

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 29-Jul-11 14:47:00

He sounds absolutely awful probably does deserve to be yelled at. But will yelling at him solve anything? I doubt it. A solicitor's letter might though.

VeganMummy Fri 29-Jul-11 15:03:14

Cogito - I did explain to his visitor calmly that I didn't have a problem with him, and that it was not his fault and told him that we didn't have a problem with him. Sadly it has got way beyond the calm explanation stage. At the risk of sounding like my 5 yr old DD - he started it sad. He began last year, about 2 weeks after we moved in by chasing DH up the road shouting that it made him very angry that we had spilt/poured oil onto his driveway - WTF??? Neither of us would do anything like that at all. We had no idea what he was talking about. He was shouting at us again the next day and, yes, there was some oil on his driveway but it could have come from anywhere/anyone. We offered to replace the fence that's falling down between our two properties but as it is his he refused, and also ordered us never to touch the fence either (he doesn't know we've got some blackberries trained against it on our side smile). The neighbours on the other side of us moved out a couple of weeks ago, and DH saw them for a chat a couple of days ago and they said how much they hated our neighbour too and that he was a real pain - rude and intrusive and trying to tell them what to do all the time. They are really relieved to have moved out.

BertyBurlington Fri 29-Jul-11 15:06:31

Don't enter into any unnecessary wrangling as he's clearly an idiot.

not realy sure how you can categorically state that based on one OP and one side of the story confused

manicbmc Fri 29-Jul-11 15:08:19

Who, in their right mind, would tell their guests that they can park on their neighbours driveway without asking first - unless they are an idiot.

Yes, it's an assumption but a fair one I reckon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now