Talk

Advanced search

sexualisation of children and of society

(6 Posts)
londonia Thu 28-Jul-11 21:58:20

To think that tho' Mumsnet has done a really good job in getting the sexualisation of children on the agenda, there is still much work to be done. I think the general sexualisation in adds especially (where there is no choice in the street whether to see them or not) is really bad and is not good for children!

worraliberty Thu 28-Jul-11 22:01:57

Such as?

squeakytoy Thu 28-Jul-11 22:24:40

Do children actually look at adverts? I dont know any who do.

archieleach Thu 28-Jul-11 22:43:03

I think you must know that “looking at adverts” is immaterial as regards their effect on your mind/attitudes.
For example, I was looking at last years baby names – US version I think and started humming a tune in my head. I read on and it was mentioned that Florence was high in the list because of Florence and the Machine. I’ve heard of them, I said to myself, and realised I had been humming their song without knowing anything at all about them.
Just a word on a page, glossed over, set up a whole internal life, without me being aware of why.

It is the insidious drip drip of experience. I lived in an area where I was one of the few white people so in consequence experienced a lot of racism against myself. For a while, until I managed to get out I became a bit “racist” myself despite having probably more experience of different cultures and countries than 99% of people.
Going a bit off topic here.
Totally agree OP

BitOfFun Thu 28-Jul-11 22:45:12

Are you from that Mumsnet Sucks facebook group?

HowlingBitch Thu 28-Jul-11 22:45:47

I think people should really be focusing on anyone who would find a child "sexy".

Oxymorons and all that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now