Talk

Advanced search

To think my mum has probably got this wrong...

(43 Posts)
storminabuttercup Thu 28-Jul-11 21:40:04

talking today about potty training...don't ask how we got onto that.
Mum says, 'you should really have started baby storm by now you know?'
Me, 'I think he is a bit young you know'
Her, 'well boys take longer than girls and I started you at his age'
Me, 'you do know he's only 11 months ma?'
Her, 'yeah, health visitor will tell you that you've started late you know'

She does have lots on her mind bless her, but really? 11 months?

I dont really need to yet surely??

Mothers eh? I do love her dearly but she's crazy? :-D

BelleEnd Thu 28-Jul-11 21:40:53

Bloody hell, I hope she's wrong... grin

Cleverything Thu 28-Jul-11 21:41:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sirzy Thu 28-Jul-11 21:42:51

Way to young to even think about it! Ds is 20 months and I'm not even considering it yet!

storminabuttercup Thu 28-Jul-11 21:43:30

Me too!

He does stand up to wee in the bath ho and refuses to sit down..

Clever what's EC?

Besom Thu 28-Jul-11 21:49:44

I was listening the other day to a granny telling parents of a one year old they needed to start pt and perserverance was the key blah blah. I think in the past they wanted them out of nappies asap to save having to do all the washing.

Why bother with all that these days when you can wait until they're ready and do it in a fortnight?

celebmum Thu 28-Jul-11 21:49:52

YANBU!

We went recently to stay with my best friends nan, who insisted that she started potty training her two DC at 9months!! confused WTF!?

She said every eve she 'held them on the potty' and that was it..! hmm 'twas 50yrs ago mind! grin

storminabuttercup Thu 28-Jul-11 21:52:29

Well I'm only in my late twenties so wasn't that long ago!
grin

mumblejumble Thu 28-Jul-11 21:52:52

Wow, dd is 21 months old and only just able to tell me her nappy is wet. I aim to approach it the same way I did with her 5 year old brother, wait until I'm sure and it took just one day grin

Iggly Thu 28-Jul-11 21:53:13

You can introduce the idea of a potty at that age. I think in the "old days" I don't think they did much cold turkey training more of a gradual introduction.

I bought potties for DS at 12 months and let him sit on them - no pressure to use it. Now at 22 months he has nappy off time and we praise if he wees in it but we aren't in any position to lose the nappies. But I want to do it gradually as I'm too lazy to go cold turkey!

mumblejumble Thu 28-Jul-11 21:53:42

Her brother was 2.5 by the way

TheFeministsWife Thu 28-Jul-11 21:54:37

Haha my nan was like this. My dd1 took ages to be dry in the day ( and still isn't at night) and I also left off the potty training until she was nearly 3 as she was no were near ready. My nan used to say "I had your mother potty trained at 10 months you know," I just used to smile and nod. It didn't occur to her how my mum could have been getting herself to the potty when she needed to go seen as she couldn't yet walk at 10 months and my nan had her hands full with 5 under 5. shockhmm

worraliberty Thu 28-Jul-11 21:55:01

I was going to ask what 'baby storm' was...I thought it was some sort of potty training programme til I read the OP's nickname blush

PelvicFloorOfSteel Thu 28-Jul-11 21:57:34

In the old days everyone used terry nappies so it made very little difference washing a large pile of nappies or trousers and pants, if a couple of wees went in the potty each day it meant less washing overall, even if there were still loads of accidents.

emsyj Thu 28-Jul-11 21:57:52

My MIL informed me that DH was out of nappies (yes, out of nappies - not 'potty trained' in the sense of doing a poo at the same time each day whilst hovered over a loo/potty - but actually out of nappies) at - (wait for it)...

Are you sitting down?

Are you ready???

at 9 months.

AIBU to have dismissed MIL as a liar and a fantasist?

BaronessBomburst Thu 28-Jul-11 21:59:36

My DM is like this too. Apparently I need to start DS on flashcards so I can teach him to read. He's 17 months and likes to throw things. I think I'll just leave it for now........ grin

Belini Thu 28-Jul-11 22:01:55

I started DS2 at 3 he was dry day and night after 2 weeks and has been ever since. After DS3 was born we moved closer to my parents and I was bullied into pting by mum when he was just 2! consant badgering of 'hes ready you know' 'has mummy still got you in those stinky nappies' he is now four and still not 100% dry at night. I know its because he wasn't ready and wish I had waited a bit longer.

LynetteScavo Thu 28-Jul-11 22:02:37

My mum had to potty train my DSis at 15 months because she needed the nappies for the next baby. 18 months was normal back then. DM used to look sadly at DD still in nappies on her second birthday, and shake her head and sigh. (Actually she did have a point, as DD was ready, but I'm never going to admit that to DM grin)

storminabuttercup Thu 28-Jul-11 22:07:03

Barroness DPs cousin's child (are you with me) can read and he is three, MIL (to be) insists! I did try to point out that because he can 'read' the one word picture books where there is a picture of a dog and underneath it says 'dog' does NOT mean he can read...but apparently I
Just jealous confused grin

MynameisnotEarl Thu 28-Jul-11 22:09:55

No emsyj, your MIL was probably not lying.

My mother used to insist I was out of nappies at 9 months too. She just knew when I needed to go - my crawling into a corner to hide when I wanted to poo was a bit of a clue!

Her method was to hold me over the potty after every feed from the age of six weeks. Every wee & poo she caught was a nappy saved. She had to handwash and line dry them so naturally wanted me dry as soon as possible.

Cleverything Thu 28-Jul-11 22:14:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emsyj Thu 28-Jul-11 22:16:19

Blimey, that would require some serious commitment MynameisnotEarl - I don't think DD will be following in daddy's footsteps. Well, definitely not as she's older than 9 months already. And I have no clue when she needs a poo until I smell it!

My MIL is horrible though, so with DD still in nappies at 14 months this is just one more weapon in her arsenal of 'you're not good enough' put-downs.

BaronessBomburst Thu 28-Jul-11 22:28:57

storminabuttercup Well, he might be able to read. DM taught me with flashcards and I was reading by two and a half. I remember her enrolling me at the local library and the staff not believing I could read, so she sat me on the counter and I read them a Janet and John story. Mind you, she tried with my brother but did not have the same success. He was another one who preferred throwing things. smile

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 28-Jul-11 22:29:05

MIL, M or grandma is probably not exaggerating (much) when they tell you that you were trained at 1. Age of potty training has increased, very likely as people tend to not be handwashing terry nappies any more.

My grandma did the same as mynameisnotEarl's mum above, as did my mum. Grandma used to hold her babies over a bowl when they were tiny.

I started sitting boys on potty when they were weaning, so from about 6 months. You catch a surprising amount of poos and wees that way, and it wasn't any more hassle sitting them on pot when sorting out nappy change than lying them on a mat

HalbAndTwiceTheFun Thu 28-Jul-11 22:31:02

EC just sounds like way too much work for me.
My grandmother who was a children's nurse in eastern europe and who looked after me during the day until I was 2 started potty training me at 6 months so she wouldn't have to do the washing. She did this by shouting at me very loudly everytime she realised I was going to pee or poo. Apparently she was very successful quite quickly with this method.. confused
personally I am going to wait until DS says to me Mummy, I want to go on the potty, and not, like at the moment - Mummy weewee, not in napnap or potpot. and then pees on the floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now