Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Airing cupboard

(23 Posts)
deliakate Thu 28-Jul-11 21:06:58

AIBU, or more correctly AIBOF (Old Fashioned), in using my airing cupboard to put dry clothes in for min 24 hours after folding them up and before putting them into drawers/wardrobes?

I have no idea why I am asking this question, but I am quite mad with tiredness, and feel my interest on the subject piqued......

poppysweetie Thu 28-Jul-11 21:09:05

Well I do it. I dont think its old fashioned. I am relatively young.

AgentZigzag Thu 28-Jul-11 21:09:12

YANBOFOU (old fashioned or U)

I miss my airing cupboard.

Twatting combi boiler angry

squeakytoy Thu 28-Jul-11 21:11:24

My mum always did it, and I would too if we had an airing cupboard. Clothes are always a little damp if you steam iron them so it dries them out properly especially bedding and towels, and stops them getting a bit of a musty whiff.

Mandy2003 Thu 28-Jul-11 21:12:54

YANBOFOU! At least you are using an airing cupboard for what it is designed for! My Dad on the other hand puts damp washing in the airing cupboard and consequently has an entire house that smells swampy!

I have a combi boiler so same as AgentZigzag. Ironing has to stay on an airer for half a day to avoid putting anything damp in wardrobe or drawer.

littleducks Thu 28-Jul-11 21:14:31

My mum used to do that........I have never had an airing cupboard that was warm, the only one that had a water tank in was too well insulated and now we have combi-boilers instead, so my airing cupboards have become laundry cuboards and have clean towels on shelves and dirty laundry --on the floor--in a wash basket instead

I dont think i could develop the habit now though if we moved after 10 yrs of not

SharperSeven Thu 28-Jul-11 21:19:09

I used to have a lovely warm airing cupboard. Every morning, as soon as we left for work, my cat would climb up the lagging and spend the day sleeping on the clean linen. We knew cos we fooled her by shutting the door one day but not leaving, and then creeping up and catching her. The door of the airing cupboard would not latch properly so she could pull it open. She knew it was naughty so she would hide behind the tank till she heard the door close. Sniff....miss you Pusscat sad

deliakate Thu 28-Jul-11 21:20:30

I think we have a combi boiler too - there's a hot water tank in there with a big foam jacket on, but its still relatively toasty.

AgentZigzag Thu 28-Jul-11 21:20:45

Awww SS sad

SharperSeven Thu 28-Jul-11 21:23:48

We buried her in the garden...wiping a tear with my shirt collar as DH will think I've lost it!

Firawla Thu 28-Jul-11 21:29:12

I did not even know thats what airing cupboards are for, so i think yes maybe it is old fashioned, but if you find it good then why not
I do just iron and put mine away though and they tend to be fine and not damp?

deliakate Thu 28-Jul-11 21:30:54

What do you use your airing cupboard for?

Firawla Thu 28-Jul-11 21:32:38

well i don't have one, but i thought its mainly for keeping towels in and that kind of thing

blackeyedsusan Thu 28-Jul-11 21:35:57

I use the airing cupboard to finish the drying process. dry for 24 hours on a clothes horse, longer in damp weather, and pop the nearly dry clothes in the airing cupboard hanging over the rails or in small folded piles. leave for 24 hours dry enough to put away. I don't iron though.

oldraver Thu 28-Jul-11 21:42:46

I use my 'cylinder cupboard' airing cupboard for drying clothes and it doesn't make the rest of the house damp or anything. In the winter I put things in there that I cant tumble dry. Its also great for drying coats as its downstairs next to the coat cupboard

Sirzy Thu 28-Jul-11 21:51:41

I dont see the point of putting dry clothes in the airing cupboard

I use mine to dry clothes that are wet, and the shelves to store bedding and towels.

lashingsofbingeinghere Thu 28-Jul-11 22:13:29

My mum used to ferment her homemade ginger beer in our airing cupboard. Until the day we heard several faint explosions and found ginger beer and glass all over the sheets and towels. How we laughed...

glitterkitty Thu 28-Jul-11 22:18:53

We have a wee radiator in ours but have never turned it on. All gets dried on clothes horse and we use cupboard for storing towels.

Might think about using it for drying now, tho...

hocuspontas Thu 28-Jul-11 22:19:46

Didn't realise there was a proper use for them! It's where towels, bedding and other stuff (old curtains, uniforms, dance costumes etc) live that don't have a home elsewhere.

wasabipeanut Thu 28-Jul-11 22:23:23

I have 2 airing cupboards, One is the hot water tank cupboard and has just enough shelving to put freshly washed an ironed laundry prior to it going into wardrobes and drawers. The other is a big, deep floor to ceiling cupboard with a mini radiator in at the bottom. As the heating is only on in the colder months it is no use as an actual airing cupboard but is a linen/towels/flannels cupboard.

I am a laundry obsessive, OP YANBU.

januaryjojo Thu 28-Jul-11 22:24:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bonkers20 Thu 28-Jul-11 22:31:38

I heart my airing cupboard. It is mainly used for finishing off clothes which have come off the line or off the clothes horse. I also use it for a few wet clothes if it's wet outside, but I'll leave the door open so it doesn't get damp.

DH once put his wet trainers in there overnight...yukedy yuck. He won't be doing that again!

We had it properly sheved so it also stores sleeping bags, the cool box, some camping equipment as well as towels and bedlinen. We have a very small house and I couldn't live without my airing cupboard. Oh, I'm getting quite emotional about it now....

Bunbaker Thu 28-Jul-11 22:37:31

I love my airing cupboard. When we had a new boiler installed I deliberately avoided a combi boiler so we could keep our warm airing cupboard. I keep towels and bedding in it, plus recently ironed/slightly damp washing in it for about 24 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now