Talk

Advanced search

White to a wedding?

(14 Posts)
Floandno Thu 28-Jul-11 15:32:42

Did post this in style and beauty, but thought i might have a bit more luck here!
My brother's getting married in a month in Poland and i've been lent a really beautiful dress to wear.
Now, i would never even dream of wearing an entirely white dress to a wedding, let alone the wedding of my brother and my lovely SIL, but i'm unsure wether this dress will be acceptable:
It's made to look like a sleeveless shirt tucked into a high waisted skirt. The skirt is a pale pink and the 'shirt' is white and ruffled. I would also be wearing it with white pumps.
Would it be very offensive to wear it? I'm not sure how strict the Polish are about weddings and the last thing i want to do is upset my SIL or her fam.
Opinions please!

Pandemoniaa Thu 28-Jul-11 15:34:19

It's not very white is it? Not with a pink skirt and in sounds like a very "unweddy" sort of style. So I'd wear it if I were you.

grovel Thu 28-Jul-11 15:34:52

Sounds OK to me. How will you accessorise?

Pandemoniaa Thu 28-Jul-11 15:35:05

Gah! Should read "in what sounds like a very "unweddingy" style".

muminthemiddle Thu 28-Jul-11 15:36:25

I think you might need some coloured accessories. A bit difficult with white shoes though. Can you take a coloured clutch bag and perhaps wear a matching cousage so as to break up the whiteness?
I have no idea about Polish weddings. Is there anyone else going to the wedding who you could ask the opinion of?

bubblesincoffee Thu 28-Jul-11 15:37:53

I was ready to say NO NO NO, because I get funny about things like this, but as over half of the dress is pink, I think it will be fine. As long as the pink not so pale that it is practically white, or will look like it is in the photos.

I'd also go with chunky jewelery to further avoid the dainty bridal look.

grovel Thu 28-Jul-11 15:46:23

Just found this from another site:

I have been to many Polish weddings and the only rule is to be elegant; dress with class, do not show too much, don't dress white or black.
Except of that, a Polish wedding is the same as everywhere else.
My advise is to take with you a pair of comfortable shoes that match your outfit and an extra pair of stockings (if you plan to wear stockings- I would)
Source(s):
I am Polish.

Floandno Thu 28-Jul-11 15:54:28

It's a really small wedding, only close family, so not really. I asked some friends and they told me to wear what i wanted- not helpful! Thank god for mumsnet ay?
Good ideas guys, thanks, will try with chunky and colours and see what suits best. I have a really nice black 1920's bag that i was thinking of wearing too smile
Grovel- thanks! Thats the same as weddings over here too, there should be some sort of rule book stating how much white/black is acceptable!

GetOffOfMyCloud Thu 28-Jul-11 16:11:25

It sounds okay to me, but it if you are really unsure then ask your SIL, you said in your OP that she's lovely so I'm sure she'd be pleased to be consulted and be happy for you to wear it. You can email her a picture if she's not local.

IAmTheCookieMonster Thu 28-Jul-11 16:12:05

Could you wear pink shoes?

Could you ask the bride herself?

My SIL wore white to my wedding, but it was knee length with a bit of black beading detail, she showed it to me before the wedding and it was absolutely fine.

NoMoreWasabi Thu 28-Jul-11 16:23:28

I'd just ask the bride for her views TBH.

stabiliser15 Thu 28-Jul-11 16:28:31

Agree with NoMoreWasabi, just ask the bride.

Allinabinbag Thu 28-Jul-11 16:31:27

I'm another vote for ask her, try taking a photo and asking. Probably only an issue if she is not wearing a long white dress, but sometimes Eastern European weddings can be in the town hall and just quite smart rather than full on dresses, so you may want to check.

LRDTheFeministDragon Thu 28-Jul-11 16:43:30

Yes, ask the bride.

But I would say - the top half is white. Many pictures will probably only show your top half. If you think that will look a bit bridal, maybe another dress would be better or maybe something like a bright necklace to make it less bridal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now