Talk

Advanced search

To not take make up advice from a woman who looks like she's borrowed someone else's face?

(24 Posts)
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Thu 28-Jul-11 13:56:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redexpat Thu 28-Jul-11 14:26:01

My Saturday job as a teen was at Boots. A nearby branch lost makeup sales because the woman on the counter was orange. So no, YANBU, you are not the first and probably won't be the last!

manicbmc Thu 28-Jul-11 14:28:54

I'd run a mile! grin

ZZZenAgain Thu 28-Jul-11 14:33:55

I think the trick is to get someone who has similar colouring to you ( and looks made up in a way that appeals to you).

ZZZenAgain Thu 28-Jul-11 14:35:28

I rmeember looking for a blusher to take on holiday two years ago and the woman coming up to me trying to convince me to buy a darkish red-brown lipliner to wear with a kind of pinkish lipgloss (?) Since she was wearing the look herself, I didn't realy like to say I didn't like it

OrdinaryJo Thu 28-Jul-11 14:36:14

best thread title. Ever.

LadyFlumpalot Thu 28-Jul-11 14:38:43

Oh god I hate those counters. I always get pounced on just walking past. I got captured by a Benefit lady last year. She wouldn't believe me that I don't usually wear make-up. At all. It makes my face itch. She plastered me in a primer, base coat, powder, highlighter, blusher and an illuminator. I could literally scratch the rubbish off my face...

<<Shudders at the memory>>

Dillinger Thu 28-Jul-11 15:18:57

I had a 'makeover' hmm at a clinique counter years ago, was awful! I pretty much ran straight home and washed it off blush

Wouldnt mind a makeover at a M.A.C counter though smile

Lemonylemon Thu 28-Jul-11 15:22:54

She sounds like that woman in the Fast Show Sketch.....

GiveMeStrength2day Thu 28-Jul-11 15:30:33

"Treated" myself to a makeover at a Benefit counter a few years back. Came out looking like Aunt Sally!! grin

bubblesincoffee Thu 28-Jul-11 15:30:46

I booked a MAC makeover as a wedding make up trial. When I got there the girl that was doing me had loads of thick black eyeliner on, bright blue eyeshadow, and bright pink lips.

I freaked.

I thought she would be incapable of doing an au naturel bridal look just because of the lairy way she prefered her own make up, but I couldn't have been more wrong. She was brilliant and the result was so lovely I ended up booking her to do my make up on my wedding day, after having two more trials.

She was a professional make up artist, and as such, should be able to create a wide range of looks.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Thu 28-Jul-11 16:19:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

joric Thu 28-Jul-11 16:24:07

Vivian- your question to bubbles... She's already answered it!
She was a professional make up artist, and as such, should be able to create a wide range of looks.
she must have chosen the rocky horror show for her 'look'

LRDTheFeministDragon Thu 28-Jul-11 16:38:39

Oh god yes. One reaons I love my MIL (who is very chic) is that, with her minimal English and highly expressive Russian accent, she still managed to fend off the orange-face lady with 'No, is better less'. I could not say it better myself.

I also hate it when they stink of perfume - why would you want someone drenched in cut-prince Generic Florals to stand over your face?!

crazyspaniel Thu 28-Jul-11 16:51:08

What do people think of men working on make-up counters? I've seen a couple recently - one in Space NK and one in a regional branch of Harvey Nicks. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable and I gave them a wide berth, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

joric Thu 28-Jul-11 17:08:31

How to they manage to keep their clothes clean that's what I want to know... All that orange makeup must be a devil to get out of fabric <snorts>. also, the men... If there is anything worse than an over manicured orange woman it's an over manicured orange man... They make me feel like a lump of lard sad <cries>

joric Thu 28-Jul-11 17:10:08

LRDthefem... I want to be chic sad

MirandaGoshawk Thu 28-Jul-11 17:14:32

Crazyspaniel I went with DD to a fancy make-up shop in Carnaby St (could've been Mac?) & there was a male make-up artist there. The problem is that he was not in the least interested in customers. I was watching him while I waited for DD & he spent the whole time admiring himself in the mirror & rubbing in the tester foundations into his own face. Then admiring a bit more.

joric Thu 28-Jul-11 17:18:08

Miranda grin

RevoltingPeasant Thu 28-Jul-11 17:23:54

I feel sorry for the spiders in the OP sad

superjobee Thu 28-Jul-11 17:34:34

no, is better less

i fecking snorted grin

janelikesjam Thu 28-Jul-11 17:39:31

1. Male make-up artist. My experience is that they are more "sales" motivated. They are generally v. enthusiastic about "everything", but have no "subtle" understanding or knowledge, so hopeless IMHO.

2. I agree with OP. I recently parted with a considerable amount of money at Lancome. She was a lovely woman but not a great advert for her own make up brand - it certainly never got rid of wrinkles. But I got very excited. And the penny only sank when I got home, and the money had gone by then!!!

3. This reminds me, when I have got nothing better to do, go and have some make-overs "up West", check it out!!!!. I've only had one in my whole life, and it was terrible!

ifancyashandy Thu 28-Jul-11 17:45:35

I know a few make up artists - male and female. Blokes doing me face wouldn't bother me. In fact, there's a guy on the Armani counter in House of Fraser near me and he is wondrous!

Love 'is better less'! Am going to pretend I'm Russian on next trawl round Boots!

hellospoon Thu 28-Jul-11 17:52:25

PMSL @ borrowed someone elses face!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now