Talk

Advanced search

Should nits be picked in public?

(14 Posts)
khaliwali Thu 28-Jul-11 12:00:24

Small coffee shop, sitting at table with family. Loud expat britmum and 3 perfect children on table next to us. Small space tables close together. She then calls little darling over so mummy can check your hair. Proceeds to pick out nits and flick them on the floor. Decide to ignore her as what to say? She then says very loudly that they must have jumped on since breakfast and glares at us as if we are nit infestors. Luckily so silly but made me laugh. Cue us all scratching constantly until they left!

nenevomito Thu 28-Jul-11 12:02:33

Is this for real? Never in my life have I heard of anyone picking nits out of a child's hair in public.

Mandy2003 Thu 28-Jul-11 12:02:52

Oh FFS! The only well-mannered way to do this is to crush them between your nails once picked, not throw them on the floor live!

Can't believe I've just typed that <boak>

khaliwali Thu 28-Jul-11 12:06:38

Of course it's real, happened 1 hour ago in Emirates Mall. If I were to troll I think I could manage better than bloody nits! There were 5 of us

ProcrastinatorGeneral Thu 28-Jul-11 12:08:55

If either of mine scrat for more than a second or two I'll have a sneaky look, then head home to wage chemical warfare treat if necessary.

I wouldn't delouse in public unless it was just one giant one though you know the one, the one that you notice when you pick your five year old up from school, and you know she's clear because you have wet combed their poor abused scalp every night for the last fortnight. This being just shortly before you change school, because of the grim hygiene of other children/parents and the crap attitude toward trust and honesty of the staff...

khaliwali Thu 28-Jul-11 12:13:11

I do sympathise with the sentiment, it is so bloody depressing when you think you have finally cleared everyone and then one starts scratching. At this time of year we have the threat of bloody dog fleas as well. I spend my days combing hair and fur. Wish humans could have nit collars (joke)

drfayray Thu 28-Jul-11 12:15:07

Answer to question: Only if you are a monkey.

OpinionatedPlusSprogs Thu 28-Jul-11 13:07:43

I pick my nits in public and my pubic lice at home.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Thu 28-Jul-11 13:10:29

grin @ Opinionated

MrsOwhat Thu 28-Jul-11 13:40:57

In parts of SE Asia people do it any place, any time, anywhere. Quite often see people sitting on the road side doing it. Even ones working as street food vendors...nice!

biddysmama Thu 28-Jul-11 14:13:07

i saw a woman nit combing a screaming toddlers hair at a bus stop a few weeks ago hmm

sparkle12mar08 Thu 28-Jul-11 14:20:56

I was once sat in a coffee shop ruffling my sons hair when I noticed a couple of nits. Had a surreptitious closer look and he was riddled with them. They hadn't been there four days earlier when we'd combed. I've never got home so fast before, and we were bother treated (from the bottle I keep spare for this very reason!) within twenty minutes of me spotting them. But as for actually picking them out in public - eurgh!

cannydoit Thu 28-Jul-11 15:50:10

if i were to see one i would grab it, but i wouldnt sit there and go through the hair.

neuroticmumof3 Thu 28-Jul-11 17:52:51

This thread has made me itch!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now