Talk

Advanced search

Letting my 3 yr old be naked in public?

(11 Posts)
OneDove Wed 27-Jul-11 23:21:00

ok so it's a lovely sunny day and we are at the park which is really busy. There are water fountains and shallow water pools for the children to run about in. My son,3, wanted to take all his clothes off so he can run about in the water. I tried to convince him to keep his pants on, but really I thought what's the harm if he's naked? So off he went happy and naked running in the fountains. AIBU letting him? I noted no other children were, but I did feel a bit worried. Not really sure why?! My paranoia of potentially scary people. Darn media telling us pedophiles everywhere?!

worraliberty Wed 27-Jul-11 23:24:15

It's up to you as the parent

I'm not sure you should try to 'convince' a 3yr old to do anything...if you wanted him to keep them on, he should have done as he was told.

Having said that, you changed your mind so I don't see the problem

faeriefruitcake Wed 27-Jul-11 23:24:45

Can't keep mine in their clothes either

squeakytoy Wed 27-Jul-11 23:26:13

Its up to you, but it may have made other adults feel a bit uncomfortable if they had wanted to take a photo of their own children, for another child to be running around naked and possibly on their photos.

If all the other children had some clothes on, why did your child want to be the only naked one??

RitaMorgan Wed 27-Jul-11 23:26:19

I used to live in Berlin, and this was totally the norm there - loads of naked kids playing in water/fountains in parks, no one batted an eyelid or worried about paedos.

Claw3 Wed 27-Jul-11 23:27:16

As long as he is toilet trained and wouldnt take a dump in the water fountains, i think naked is fine.

Mare11bp Wed 27-Jul-11 23:27:54

Not for me. But I work with offenders (all types) and has left me stupidly paranoid.

worraliberty Wed 27-Jul-11 23:31:02

No disrespect Mare but you're probably a bit too old to get away with it anyway.... wink

TheArmadillo Wed 27-Jul-11 23:31:04

as long as you don't allow them to go in a cafe or anywhere selling food naked (like we saw yesterday and commented on loudly) then I don't see its a problem.

OneDove Wed 27-Jul-11 23:35:04

He just likes being naked! What can I say? As soon as he gets home from nursery he removes clothes! I have personal experience of abuse and I do think it skews my perspective of 'normal behaviour sometimes. I actually rang my husband at work to check if he thought it was ok. He responded if course it was, it would be other peoples problem if they didn't like it!

FreudianSlipper Wed 27-Jul-11 23:38:45

i wouldn't stop him, how wonderful to have no inhibitions it does not last long

ds is 3 too but he is becoming a little self conscious, not sure why i think he is young to be but seems happy so its not a problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now