Talk

Advanced search

By sticking to reasonable bedtimes when on holiday

(7 Posts)
Hormoneoverload Wed 27-Jul-11 22:34:58

On holiday with relatives who have very different ideas about holiday bedtimes. Ours pretty much need to be in bed normal time otherwise they are too tired the next day. Theirs seem similar, but we keep being accused of being spoil sports for trying to stick to sensible bedtimes. Aibu? All four children are unpleasant in various ways without sensible amounts of sleep and none of them is really the type to make up for it with a lie in. Don't want it to spoil a nice time, but one way or another it seems doomed to-either by me being a party pooper by sticking to my guns or by the children being grotty if I don't.

TanyaBranning Wed 27-Jul-11 22:37:20

Tricky one. We tend to let them have a night up a bit later, and then normal bedtimes again for a night or two to 'catch up' of they don't lie in. Ultimately, you know your kids and their limits best, so perhaps just stick to your guns?

Lilyloo Wed 27-Jul-11 22:40:25

Any chance for going for an afternoon nap , we always usually all go for a lie down mid afternoon when we go away.

duckdodgers Wed 27-Jul-11 22:40:35

What age are they? With my DS whos 3 I would let him stay up a little later but my DS whos 9 stays up as late as he wants with us, never suffers though so maybe Im lucky!

SiamoFottuti Wed 27-Jul-11 22:41:46

perhaps they think the chances of all four children having the same issue are remote and are suggesting that you might find they aren't too bad if you relax about it a bit?

AlsoAvailableSober Wed 27-Jul-11 22:43:53

Ours tend to go about an hour later than at home but that is because in France they get to watch UK cbeebies (which finishes at 8 rather than 7) and when we are camping it is SO light at 7pm that they are really not ready to go to bed. Usually by 8pm we have no major issues and they go to bed just fine

maighdlin Wed 27-Jul-11 22:50:31

dd's body clock was fucked on holiday and there was only a 2 hour time difference. think it was the strangeness of the room etc. she normally goes to bed at 6.30/7 but didn't go to sleep until near 11. she did have a two hour nap in the late afternoon so she wasn't really bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now