Talk

Advanced search

to not really understand the M25?

(111 Posts)
bonkers20 Wed 27-Jul-11 21:55:51

I just don't get all that Eastbound/Westbound stuff.
Then they talk about hold ups clockwise between junctions 3 and 4 and I don't have a clue whether I'm going clockwise or anticlockwise.

I can only think of north as the way I'm going and east as right and west as left. I KNOW it's not right, but it's so hard to turn the map round in my head mentally.

I need signs that say "This way bonkers".

It's not only me is it?

Paschaelina Wed 27-Jul-11 21:58:12

confused I get the east/west confusion, I tend to think of it as up, down, left, right blush but how can you not know if you're travelling clockwise or anticlockwise?

VirgoGrr Wed 27-Jul-11 21:58:37

Weeeeeellllll. Its you. grin

Makes perfect sense to me. Have you seen the M25 on a map?

ByTheSea Wed 27-Jul-11 21:58:47

I get the clockwise / anticlockwise stuff, but as far as Eastbound / Westbound, doesn't that depend whether you are north or south?

GandTiceandaslice Wed 27-Jul-11 21:59:39

I've no idea either & I use it all the time. I live in Essex & family are in Wales. Plus to get to most places I have to hop on a few junctions of the M25. I just get on & pray for no hold ups.
I am also unable to read a map. It's like they're in a foreign language. I can't visualise it in real life so can't read the thing!
But if I go left I go the dartford way on the M25 & if I go right I go, well, the other way! grin

squeakytoy Wed 27-Jul-11 21:59:42

It really isnt difficult.

How can you not know if you are going clockwise or anti-clockwise confused

ivykaty44 Wed 27-Jul-11 21:59:44

Have been on the M25 and saw the bus for lost souls driving round it spoooked me blush

Empusa Wed 27-Jul-11 22:00:10

It took me ages to get the hang of.

Though I spent so much time on it the last few years I figured it out.

I don't turn the map round in my head, I tend to think in terms of places I remember.

Eg. North = Enfield
West = Slough/M4
East = Dartford Tunnel(ish)
South = Towards Brighton

I've memorised a few select junctions too. Admittedly if I get on at a different junction to usual I can get a little confused. But then my sense of direction has always been godawful.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 27-Jul-11 22:01:06

It's the London Orbital isn't it? confused I only ever have to drive to Chiswick and I can do that... grin

I just check my satnav, my satnav knows where I am. I have a truly hopeless sense of direction. blush

Empusa Wed 27-Jul-11 22:01:37

"but as far as Eastbound / Westbound, doesn't that depend whether you are north or south?"

Not really, east is still east and west is still west. They are magnetic um things*, they don't change.

*technical term grin

Empusa Wed 27-Jul-11 22:02:12

"It's the London Orbital isn't it?"

Nope, it's outside the London Orbital. I know this because I hate the Orbital and avoid it at all cost.

VirgoGrr Wed 27-Jul-11 22:03:25

God, you're all being such women about this. grin
Stop letting the side down.

I am chief navigator and have never had to turn a map upside down.

hocuspontas Wed 27-Jul-11 22:03:44

East is towards the North Sea, West is towards the Atlantic Ocean. Simple if you are travelling across the top or the bottom but if they are talking East/Westbound round the Dartford Tunnel area, yes, I'd be confused as well!

GrimmaTheNome Wed 27-Jul-11 22:04:24

It seems easy enough to me, but its not just you, bonkers. DHs CEO - an American, in mitigation, but running a plc - always used to complain bitterly about how long it took him to get round London on the M25. Turned out he was doing about 300 degrees rather than 60!

GrimmaTheNome Wed 27-Jul-11 22:08:19

Mind you, in the US they have 'routes' which run predominantly E-W or N-S, some of which are on the same physical road. So a road can be 'West' and 'South' simultaneously. I've even found one which was (can't remember the numbers) but say 202S and 11N going the same way confused

Hassled Wed 27-Jul-11 22:09:09

East is always bloody East. By your logic the South Pole somehow changes if you're vaguely West.

If you're Westbound then you're heading towards Wales. If you're Eastbound you're headed for Holland. This is always true, unless of course you've driven through Wales/into Holland.

Paschaelina Wed 27-Jul-11 22:10:00

is there a magic portal from wales to holland then?

DeWe Wed 27-Jul-11 22:10:34

You don't need to be able to read the signs in a hurry though? Country's biggest car park. wink

LineRunner Wed 27-Jul-11 22:12:19

I'm putting Hassled in charge of Olympic Infrastructure.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 27-Jul-11 22:12:52

Grimma... Your CEO has made me laugh and laugh... he must be my long lost dad... gringringrin

Virgo... You've obviously never driven into a services that serves both sides of a motorway then.... parked on one side, come out on the other and burst into tears because you think your car's been stolen.... sad Just me then. blush

I can laugh about it now but I will NEVER go to a 'double services' ever again. grin

youarekidding Wed 27-Jul-11 22:13:05

YADNBU.

I started a thread in Chat yesterday as panicking about having to go on M25. Did ask some other questions but its the whole M25 issue that made me consider the journey difficult grin

I am going from Surrey way (Epsom) towards A21 and down to coast. I guess this is East? If it says North/South I will be screwed.

Lexilicious Wed 27-Jul-11 22:13:52

Re the Clockwise/anticlockwise conundrum - if the junction numbers are increasing, you're going clockwise.

I love maps, am very spatially aware, DH likes to drive and call me 'the navigatrix' ... and I still have to have a think, try to picture the map, if I hear the M25 travel news. It's a sort of vortex of anti-navigation.

LineRunner Wed 27-Jul-11 22:13:53

Yes, yes there is actually a amgic portal from Wales to Holland. It's the Cardiff to Amsterdam Ryanair flight and it's boarding shortly.

youarekidding Wed 27-Jul-11 22:14:01

BTW I live near S'ton but have to go this way to collect someone on the way.

The A27 would have been alot easier wink

StealthPolarBear Wed 27-Jul-11 22:14:01

yes, eastbound is, well east-bound
So if you're at the top of the M25 it's clockwise, if you're at the bottom it's anti clockwise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now