Talk

Advanced search

to think spitting in public should be banned?

(45 Posts)
OscarLove Wed 27-Jul-11 21:48:27

I can't believe how many nasty little chav's I see spitting whilst out on my travels. They just spit on the walkway, even girls and women too. It makes me feel sick when I see it. Absolutely disguting!!!

icooksocks Wed 27-Jul-11 21:50:10

YASNBU-its disgusting.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 27-Jul-11 21:50:42

Yes, it really is disgusting.

itisnearlysummer Wed 27-Jul-11 21:53:21

YANBU.

The people over the road from us do it on their own driveway/front lawn. mmm.

ChunkyPickle Wed 27-Jul-11 21:54:06

I think it already is an offence - under town bylaws if nothing else...

StayFrosty Wed 27-Jul-11 21:55:20

Yanbu, it is completely rank, no wonder tb is coming back. Ban spitting. And chewing gum, ban that too, i was intown earlier and the money the council have spent on regenerating bits of the city, only to have scrotes disfigure it by flobbing gum on to the pavement leaving big black permanent marks, it really fucks me off.

BuckminsterFullerene Wed 27-Jul-11 21:56:45

YANBU it's rank.

I can't stop myself from saying "yuck! how disgusting!" very loudly and giving my best death-stare.

DH keeps reminding me I'll get stabbed one day. He's probably right too.

I do the same for littering ("Oh! You seem to have dropped something") and dog fouling.

I literally cannot stop myself.
I blame my mother!

IQuiteLikeVodka Wed 27-Jul-11 21:58:06

yanbu makes me gag

ChunkyPickle Wed 27-Jul-11 21:58:46

Goodness, I'm wrong, there hasn't been an issue with it since 1990 www.northlondon-today.co.uk/News.cfm?id=12709&headline=Bid%20for%20first%20anti-spitting%20bylaw%20would%20lead%20the%20way%20in%20war%20on%20tuberculosis

YANBU. If you have to spit, do it into a handkerchief

worraliberty Wed 27-Jul-11 21:59:05

YANBU spitting is disgusting

It's not just confined to 'chavs' though. It's the norm in some cultures so here in London, you get all sorts of people hacking up and spitting out <boak>

Ivortheengine8 Wed 27-Jul-11 21:59:47

Its horrible. But take a trip to China or South Korea, believe it thats gross. They do it in shops,pubs and .......just everywhere and make the throaty nasal sound too before they do it. Gross

BuckminsterFullerene Wed 27-Jul-11 22:00:24

oh, don't get me started in chewing gym frosty. I've lost whole lessons ranting at the idiots who masticate in my class. (it's not allowed in school & I might be exaggerating a tent bit)

BuckminsterFullerene Wed 27-Jul-11 22:01:23

*gum (not an illiterate teacher, honest)

BuckminsterFullerene Wed 27-Jul-11 22:03:28

and the other typos/androidisms

RedbinDazzler Wed 27-Jul-11 22:05:57

In Hong Kong they do it from the top decks of buses, absolutely wonderful.

worraliberty Wed 27-Jul-11 22:09:47

Some of the parents complained at my son's school that one of the Dads, had coughed up a greeny and spat it on the playground.

The Head Teacher came out armed with a paper towel and made him clean it up!

LRDTheFeministDragon Wed 27-Jul-11 22:10:37

YABU for the 'even girls and women' comment.

But yes, spitting is vile. I can't get over the way some people seem to have no shame about it, don't even try to hide what they're doing. hmm

thefirstMrsDeVere Wed 27-Jul-11 22:11:13

I hate spitting. Its very common round here but certainly not just down to 'chavs'.

Its so disgusting and a handy way to spread TB.

It was very common in the UK until the did a huge public education campaign and I think we need another one.

IRCL Wed 27-Jul-11 22:11:26

YANBU.

It is vile and I give people the dirtiest look I can when I see them do it. angry

AfternoonsandCoffeespoons Wed 27-Jul-11 22:11:48

Buckminster love 'androidism'! Until I googled it to see if it was a real word and found its probably not what you meant grin grin

mamalovesmojitos Wed 27-Jul-11 22:12:23

YADNBU. It absolutely disgusts me.

Thingumy Wed 27-Jul-11 22:12:53

Chewing gum is weak in comparison to spitting

I've had plenty of times where I've actually retched on the school run due to a green gobbed honk on the pavement.

I wonder about the state of peoples lungs....

Bumblequeen Wed 27-Jul-11 22:15:16

Spitting is absolutely disgusting. I have seen people literally draw up saliva from the pit of their stomach and splatter it all over the pavement. It comes very close to dog fouling in my book.

MrBloomsNursery Wed 27-Jul-11 22:15:27

YANBU - It's disgusting. I don't understand why people need to spit. Can't they swallow it? When I get excess saliva I just swallow! And chewing gum...eurghhh...I once touched a banister in the city centre carpark to go up the stairs and gum got stuck to my flipping hand...ugh, that was the worst thing ever. I was nearly sick.

Karbea Wed 27-Jul-11 22:16:20

Absolutely gross, yanbu! Spreads diseases, yuck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now