Talk

Advanced search

To travel 38 miles each way for school for a short time.

(13 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Wed 27-Jul-11 21:01:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

worraliberty Wed 27-Jul-11 21:04:35

I would in that case

My sister's friend used to travel about the same distance to school because her Mum worked down the road.

She did that for 5yrs and just read a book or listened to music in the car

scrappydappydoo Wed 27-Jul-11 21:07:56

Well if its gotta be done its gotta be done - is it a good 38 mile e.g motorway/duel carriageway?
I only do a 3 mile trip to school and the novelty wore off v. quickly but I have no choice as its the school we've been allocated rather than chosen. I think seeing as its a definite move YANBU (but you know that really don't you? smile )

iskra Wed 27-Jul-11 21:10:39

Yes, for a short time.

redfoxy Wed 27-Jul-11 21:14:39

If it's only for six weeks and you think you can handle the driving, then do it. My ss, sd had to travel 25 miles each way (50 mile round journey) to and from school when we lived in Scotland, they just read/did homework/listened to their ipods. (This was one of the reasons why we decided to move back to England, as they were only at the beginning of their secondary schooling and it became depressing doing the drive everyday!)
I would ask yourself if you can afford to travel that amount everyday, it gets very costly for petrol, car wear and tear etc, although with us because there was no bus service we were paid a set rate per mile by council that helped towards the costs, but if it's for a limited time then would seem do-able.

nojustificationneeded Wed 27-Jul-11 21:14:44

purpleturtle Wed 27-Jul-11 21:17:13

I was at the other end of school - A-level year - when my family moved 40 miles away from school. Mum and I drove 40 miles each way, mostly M6, from October half-term to the end of the school year. Of course, this was in the dark ages when petrol was cheaper than gold - although it did mean my parents having to part with a much loved vintage car that did 12.5 miles to the gallon!

Definitely worth it, IMO, for a short period of time. smile

LRDTheFeministDragon Wed 27-Jul-11 22:01:31

I'd say go for it if it'll only be a short time - plenty of kids have as long a journey to secondary school, or did back when I went.

bigscarymum Wed 27-Jul-11 22:07:45

I think it should be fine for 6 weeks. Could DD stay with your parents Tuesday-thursday or are they too frail?

exoticfruits Wed 27-Jul-11 22:20:09

The only thing to do really-fine for a few weeks. We once had to do 20 miles each way for 8 weeks in winter-it was to ease a complicated move for DS and I am so glad we did.

elastamum Wed 27-Jul-11 22:24:10

Getting into the right school will be priceless in terms of your daughters education. a few weeks of driving will be fine if you are happy to do it. She wont suffer but will benefit from being in a good school smile

EdithWeston Wed 27-Jul-11 22:27:06

Do it.

It won't be Much Fun, but it's worth it for a fixed period as the benefits of being settled at a school you like the look of at the new location are so obvious.

And DD can join the fine tradition of doing her homework on the bus in the car.

nojustificationneeded Wed 27-Jul-11 22:30:33

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now