Talk

Advanced search

To think short-haul/local flights should be more expensive?

(54 Posts)
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Wed 27-Jul-11 12:37:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 27-Jul-11 12:40:19

I think all flying should be more expensive. I hate the 'pack-em, stack-em, rack-em' hurly-burly. I miss the glamour of the 1930s-60's so much. smile

Trains are very expensive though, the cost of those should come down, I think.

worraliberty Wed 27-Jul-11 12:40:41

Yeah cos we're not taxed enough on everything else are we?

I'd like to know how many Cabinet/Government members would take the train.

fanjobanjowanjo Wed 27-Jul-11 12:42:32

I wouldn't fly as it takes longer due to airport waiting time. YANBU, but I do think train costs should come down.

BluddyMoFo Wed 27-Jul-11 12:43:13

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 27-Jul-11 12:43:30

No, train travel should be cheaper. It's ludicrous that it's cheaper to fly to Europe than it is to get a train to Manchester.

If you want romance in your travel then you need a liner grin

Happymm Wed 27-Jul-11 12:44:19

They probably should, or maybe make rail travel not quite so prohibitively expensive to use. DH recently flew to Scotland for a conference and it cost him £5 to get there and £12 to get back. Rail was 5x longer to get there and 10x as much...Simple maths made the choice easy. He couldn't afford to do rail. sad

BikeRunSki Wed 27-Jul-11 12:45:58

I live in Yorkshire, mum in the SW. 5 hour drive with a 2 yo, 6 months pg. Going to see her next week, looked into flying - as you say 5 times quicker - cost £300. How much more expensive do you want it to be? Train is longer than driving, 3 changes and also several £100.

Disclaimer: I am normally a bit of a greeney, and agree in principle that flying should be cut down, just really not looking forward to 5 hour drive with nazzy toddler.

BertyBurlington Wed 27-Jul-11 12:45:59

trains and airfares should be cheaper

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 27-Jul-11 12:46:17

worra... I think Cabinet/Government members should pay double-tax, to show willing, though. <money-grabbing embezzlers emoticon>

I'm living in hope of a cheap(er) Orient Express deal at some point... <wistful emoticon>

revolutionscoop Wed 27-Jul-11 12:47:35

Trains should be cheaper & more reliable; surely that's the real issue?

Itsjustafleshwound Wed 27-Jul-11 12:47:56

Rail is expensive.

Air travel is also expensive - something like ££££ to get to spend a fortnight with my parents - and the insult to injury is that even with an infant in arms they are still charged the same tax and 10% of the normal fare (double taxation)

Cheap airfare - I don't think so ...

Amateurish Wed 27-Jul-11 12:49:04

When a normal second class ticket London - Glasgow is £300, I'm not surprised people fly. (Obv you can get cheaper advance fares)

worraliberty Wed 27-Jul-11 12:49:16

Lmao @ lying grin

I'm just sick to fuck of people being taxed on things that make life a bit easier. All it does is create an even bigger rich/poor divide.

Soon we'll be back to the days where only the rich can afford to drive/fly/travel by train and we'll all be clinging to the back of passing trucks angry

And all this from me who doesn't drive or fly anyway blush

Rhinestone Wed 27-Jul-11 13:00:04

YABU and ill-informed.

Planes contribute 2% of global greenhouse gases - that's not a typo, two percent.

You know what contributes a whopping 36%? Nearly 7 billion humans exhaling every couple of seconds.

worraliberty Wed 27-Jul-11 13:05:20

So the moral of the story is 'suck it up' grin

Rhinestone Wed 27-Jul-11 13:08:38

grin at worraliberty

Very good!

MadamDeathstare Wed 27-Jul-11 13:15:15

bubblesincoffee Wed 27-Jul-11 13:21:26

YABVU.

It's the ridiculously high cost of rail travel that's the problem, not the expense of air travel.

Sometimes people need the speed of flying. I went to North Scotland for a funeral a few months ago, from South England. I only needed to be there for the day, and going by train would have meant that I had to miss three days of work and stay up there for two night, plus do horribly long train journeys twice in three days. As I flew, I was there and back in a day.

People shouldn't have to pay more to be able to do that when the cost to the economy would end up being much greater with slower transport.

khaliwali Wed 27-Jul-11 13:42:54

I have to fly long haul a lot because I live away from the UK. I also fly short haul flights in the UK while I am there because otherwise I would spend my entire time on motorways. I can't say that green issues are particularly important to me personally, seeing my family and being able to get there quick when there is an emergency is my priority.
That said, I would far, far prefer to take the train but it is ridiculously expensive. I always check the coach option though because it is the most comfortable and cheapest. But I believe coaches also consume fuel. National Express are fantastic but sadly getting from Terminal 5 to my home town takes longer than the 4,000 mile flight.

TrickyBiscuits Wed 27-Jul-11 13:58:33

YANBU, but I think the issue is definatley more to do with the price and efficiency of trains than with the planes. I live in eastern europe and often the train from the airport (2 hour journey) costs more than the flight into the UK. I appreciate I'm mixing the issue a bit here as you're talking about internal flights, but I still can't quite get my head around this confused

CalmInsomniac Wed 27-Jul-11 14:00:46

Can I just jump on the bandwagon and say, why does anyone fly to Paris?
Eurostar takes 2h15 from city centre to city centre, much quicker than flying when you count in airport transfer times. It's expensive if you book close to travelling but if you can plan in advance fares start at €60.
Also Eurostar supposedly offsets its carbon footprint, whatever that means.
(add to this that from where I live (South coast) there are no flights from Gatwick (nearest airport) to Paris but there is a direct train to St Pancras & it means it's a no brainer)

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Wed 27-Jul-11 14:01:54

Amateurish Wed 27-Jul-11 14:10:20

A plane emits about 4 times more Co2 than an electric train for the same journey, per passenger.

MrsAmaretto Wed 27-Jul-11 14:24:02

Yes, YABU for some of us internal flights are not a luxury but a necessity. Tomorrow I fly from Shetland to Aberdeen for £200 - how much more do you think I should pay??? It also is more environmentally friendly than taking the 12-14 hour ferry (length depends if you go via Orkney or not).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now