Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that this is not the way to sell a house?

(21 Posts)
Alikersh Wed 27-Jul-11 11:46:45

We've been looking at buying a new house (DD/S 3 will be arriving in the new year grin) and have found what looks to be the perfect one within our budget. It's gorgeous, enough bedrooms for all, in a quiet cul de sac, no chain and is about 100 yards away from the DC's school.
So we get a hold of the estate agents and find out there are tenants currently living there who don't know that the house is up for sale (no sign outside, the only details are on the website) and arranging a viewing will be difficult, if not impossible... is a buyer supposed to hand over thousands of pounds without seeing the house?
Am really quite annoyed about this - we're waiting for the estate agents to get back to us so we can try & arrange something - I really don't want to let go of this house without a fight - but I can't help thinking that the seller won't be easy to deal with and maybe we should leave it...

Shell85 Wed 27-Jul-11 11:59:56

It sounds like they are looking to sell with the tenants included.

I have seen this type of situation before.

IIWM I would pop round to the house (or better yet send a friend so they won't know it is you) and ask the tenants if it is okay to have a look round the house as you are planing on buying the house and just wanted to do some measuring up. Say you can come back at a more convenient time if it is easier.
Then the tenants will know and the owner will have no reason not to let you look around the house.

MoonGirl1981 Wed 27-Jul-11 12:05:08

Ooooo, awkward.

Even if you bought it, the tennants may have some right to stay there until their tennancy is up. Councils now advice people to not leave until evicted because of a shortage in properties.

You may need to do some googling and find out more.

Otherwise you need to ring the estate agents again and be quite firm that you wish to veiw it.

Also like the above idea of sending someone round with the printed details and asking to look round. Where is it? Can I do it?? I love nosying at people's houses!!

grin

LRDTheFeministDragon Wed 27-Jul-11 12:10:30

Who told you the viewing would be impossible? Most tenancy contracts include a clause saying that tenants must allow viewings - at least in the last few months if not always. I agree it sounds as if they intend to sell it tenants included - nothing to stop you buying but I'd imagine the price might be odd - in some areas buying a house with tenants might cost more than buying it to live in, because in some areas it's desirable to find a house already approved for multiple occupancy.

Alikersh Wed 27-Jul-11 12:30:08

The estate agent told my DH when he originally called about the house that viewing would be hard/impossible. I like the idea of sending someone around as well smile
Not sure if I like the idea of buying with tenants still there... honestly, this is the 3rd house we've looked at & all of them have had some kind of issue! Maybe we should just camp... sad

LRDTheFeministDragon Wed 27-Jul-11 12:33:54

Hmm, I think the estate agent is lying! Why on earth would you buy a house you'd not seen? And if they won't let you in, how will you get your survey done? You'd not get a mortgage without, surely.

Sorry, I only know about this as a tenant - our flat sold while we were living here and I've never had or heard of a contract that didn't require viewings to be allowed - but hopefully someone else will come along and give more perspective. It does sound shady to me.

MoonGirl1981 Wed 27-Jul-11 12:35:02

Well how the bloody hell do they expect to sell a house without allowing peeps to look at it??

Ooooo, the arrogance of some people!!

Am most irrirated on your behalf!

cricketballs Wed 27-Jul-11 12:36:29

it maybe that the tenants are under a 2 month notice of eviction and the buyer is worried that they will not be 'nice to any possible purchasers' as they don't want to leave...

Why don't you speak to the neighbours etc to try and get a clearer picture of what the situation is and maybe the owners details so you can speak to them direct

TooImmature2BDumbledore Wed 27-Jul-11 12:41:35

That is ridiculous! It is hard enough to sell houses right now without stupid extra issues. It is totally unreasonable to try to sell a house without allowing viewings. Try pointing this out to the estate agent and asking them to talk to their clients. But if the tenants come with the house, I would be running a mile. You don't want to buy to let, you want to live in it yourselves!

addictediam Wed 27-Jul-11 12:42:25

Umm...sorry if I'm being ignorant, but surely even someone buying to let would still want to look round and get a survey done?

This sounds really dodgey or the estate agents want to sell more expensive properties rather than that one?

It all sounds very odd, I would be getting ready to run away, not just walking away!

Karstan Wed 27-Jul-11 12:47:08

A decent solicitor wouldn't let you exchange with tenants in situ if you intended to live in it as a family home.

And it could take a while to get to exchange if the tenants don't want to leave.

Their right to quiet enjoyment means they can refuse all viewings, especially as it sounds like they're not the ones wanting to move.A decent solicitor wouldn't let you exchange with tenants in situ if you intended to live in it as a family home.

And it could take a while to get to exchange if the tenants don't want to leave.

Their right to quiet enjoyment means they can refuse all viewings, especially as it sounds like they're not the ones wanting to move.

feckwit Wed 27-Jul-11 12:53:07

I would call the agents again and clarify the situation. It may be that the house is being sold as an investment opportunity rather than a straight forward sale - so the tenants remain in situ as others have stated.

If not, then you should tell them that you wish to view at the tenants' convenience and that you presume their contract states they have to allow access with the required period of notice? If the agents have taken on a sale then they MUST know the score, if they don't then I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, too much hassle!

ZillionChocolate Wed 27-Jul-11 12:54:49

I'd be suspicious of what the tenants might tell you if you go round while they're there. I think advertising the property for sale without giving any notice to the tenants is a really shitty thing to do, not a seller I'd trust.

mumnotmachine Wed 27-Jul-11 12:57:02

Surely the EA must have been in there to do a valuation and take pictures?

The tenants must have SOME idea if a random person was in tyhe house taking pictures!!

Are the pictures nice?

Because if my house was going on market it would be scrubbed to within an inch of its life! My house is clean usually anyway but lived in- so ther would be stuff on display I wouldnt want in pictures?

cricketballs Wed 27-Jul-11 13:31:58

the tenants maybe under their 2 month eviction notice and therefore would know but that doesn't mean that they will be the best people to have in the house when being viewed....

It just sounds like the LL doesnt want the tenants to know the house is on the market as maybe he thinks they wont pay rent if they know they have to move out anyway.

Ridiculous though, how anyone can expect to sell a house without allowing viewings - it's ludicrous!

HarrietJones Wed 27-Jul-11 13:36:37

My parents tried to view a house last week & tenants wouldn't let them in. They were the fourth according to the viewer.

Dexifehatz Wed 27-Jul-11 13:56:39

I would be worried that the tenants could leave the house as a right shit tip if you bought it.

Shell85 Wed 27-Jul-11 15:33:33

If you buy the house with the tenants still in it you will need to give them at Least 30 days notice, but you may need to have them forcibly evicted if they are difficult.

The easiest thing to do would be to have it written into the contract that the seller must have the tenants moved out BEFORE the sale can be finalised and also that he be responsible for any changes/damage that the tenants make before they leave. (but you will need to have had the house checked asap to know if the have done anything)

FannyPriceless Wed 27-Jul-11 15:41:18

Do the details state 'vacant possession will be provided upon completion'?

I think you need to dig a bit more with the estate agent to ask this question, and make them give you a straight answer because this is weird.

CheshireDing Wed 27-Jul-11 15:52:38

Some people do buy cheaper properties without viewing them and whilst they have tenants in (as long as they want the tenants to stay and they have been paying the rent etc).

If you want an empty house though for you to move in to the estate agent needs to either make it clear to you that it is to be sold with the tenants staying or he needs to speak to the Seller and say the tenants are being a pain in the arse. Why has he let this happen with 4 other viewers?

We tried to view one at the weekend and the estate agent did not have the correct key in the office, now I cannot be bothered to re-book and have started looking at other stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now