Talk

Advanced search

To get pissed off that there isn't anything to do in the holidays..

(17 Posts)
NoobyNoob Wed 27-Jul-11 07:16:53

....for me and my 18 months old that doesn't cost money?

All the SureStart centres run a limited schedule, so you have to book classes a week in advance. So far, I've tried to book on for Stay and Play and Dance and Movement and they're already fully booked. So now I have to wait until next week to book the week after.

I'm trying to get hold of a lady who runs a parent toddler group nearby, I want to know if it's still on today. I called the venue, they don't know. So I had a look on the Netmums listing and saw she had an email address. Emailed her on Monday and this morning and have had no reply.

I've been cancelled on today by a friend, cancelled on Friday by a friend - and generally feel quite 'meh' that I have another 5 weeks of this to go.

We don't have many friends, so we end up going to the park or for a walk, and I end up feeling bad because I like DS to play with other children. I'm going to take him to a local soft play centre today, but I can't keep doing that once a week.

What the feck am I supposed to do?

Iggly Wed 27-Jul-11 07:23:25

Yanbu I felt exactly the same last summer - I'm at work now so a bit easier except on my days off.

In the end we went to the library, I tried Netmums local meet a mum board, went to the park loads and kept trying to meet up with people. There were no playgroups on, the children and family centres were too busy with bigs kids charging about and swimming was a no go unless 8am in the morning on a Sunday as it was too busy!

I have toyed with the idea of starting a summer holidays playgroups for under 3s but can't see how I would!!

EuphemiaMcGonagall Wed 27-Jul-11 07:29:19

Could you hire your local church hall and run something yourself with other parents? Churches often just ask for a donation for hire, so it would be cheap and it would get some kids and parents together.

I remember this being a hard age with my DD - I used to take her to Burger King as it was the only place locally with a softplay area suitable for wee ones!

strandednomore Wed 27-Jul-11 07:34:36

yes and no.
on the one hand, I have lived somewhere where there genuinally was very little to do with young children in the summer (or year-round, in fact) - not even playgrounds, no libraries or farmparks, no baby/toddler groups, no summer camps or anything really. We also had few friends with similar aged children - so for me being back in the UK where there are endless family-friendly events going on right through the summer (including free events in parks, museums, libraries etc) seems amazing.
On the other hand 18 months is a difficult age - most of what there is is aimed at older children. It's a lot harder even to find things for my 3-yr-old to do. I think mostly summer activities are aimed at school-aged children as the assumption is the younger ones carry on as normal.
So I don't think you are being particularly reasonable to expect things to be specially laid on for you but I also don't think you are being unreasonable to be pissed off because the summer can be a very long and lonely time for mothers.

ZonkedOut Wed 27-Jul-11 07:48:49

I know where you're coming from. I go to a different group every day with my 2, and 3 of the groups aren't on in school holidays. The group I went to yesterday was much busier than normal with lots of new people who usually go to the Thursday group.

Last summer was pretty bad - I had a one year old and had just moved to a new area so didn't know anyone. Now I have a very active 2 year old and a baby but at least I know some other parents to get together with.

I know toddler groups aren't for everyone, but my 2 year old loves them, so I'll miss them too.

NoobyNoob Wed 27-Jul-11 07:49:23

I never thought of starting one myself actually. I've trawled the net for my local area and they all seem to stop until September.

We play a lot at home don't get me wrong, but it's nice for DS to play with other children and not just me all the time. His GP's (both sets) live in France so it really is just me here in the day, bless him!

TheDeathlyMarshmallows Wed 27-Jul-11 07:49:53

Where are you Nooby? Have you tried your MN local board for ideas?

NoobyNoob Wed 27-Jul-11 07:50:45

I'm in Cambs TDM....Im just about to have a look now...

2rebecca Wed 27-Jul-11 08:06:54

At 18 months old they can't do much so I'm not sure what you expect, plus 18 moth olds don't need more in the "holidays" because they aren't doing anything to have a holiday from, and why you expect other people to put stuff on for you. At that age you can put them in chid seats on the back of a bike or in a child carrying rucksack.
I think soft play areas and swimming pools were the main places you had to pay for I took mine to at that age, plus the local small zoo. Otherwise we just pootled around in the house or in pushchair, bike or walking.

NoobyNoob Wed 27-Jul-11 08:13:17

2rebecca - I don't expect anything! Merely stating my annoyance, that is all.

Iggly Wed 27-Jul-11 08:25:52

I'm not sure where the idea came from that the OP expected something to be put on for her and her little one? hmm

mycatoscar Wed 27-Jul-11 08:26:28

OP I know how you feel, toddler groups were my saviour while I was at hoem with dd. I am not the best at making friends, but just to be out at a group and have a chat with a few mums makes the day go a bit quicker, of course dd couldnt have cared less whether she was there, those groups are for the mums as much as the little ones.

And of cours, in the school holidays, all the toddler groups here stop running.

Our local soft play place does an unlimited access summer ticket for £25 which I would consider if we werent away for 2 weeks of the hols.

We used to go to the park and feed the ducks, wander round the shops, go to the play park etc, my tip would be to make sure you do something you like doing every day, because at 18 months they are still pretty easy to please and will just enjoy doing whatever you are doing.

Also, do try the netmums meet up/meet a mum section for your area, I met my best friend on a netmums meet up. Our girls are 1 month a part in age and have been friends since 6 months, they'll be 6 this autumn!

YANBU to be a bit fed, I remember the feeling well sad

TheDeathlyMarshmallows Wed 27-Jul-11 09:40:52

It's not that 18 month olds need more activities for the holidays 2rebecca, but they need something and as all the toddler groups etc tend to close for the school holidays, so even someone without a school aged child can find themselves with a bored child to entertain.

Swimming could be a cheap-ish option Nooby, your 18 month old will be free so you'd only have to pay for you.

Luckily, a few of our toddler groups are still running over the holidays. The problem I have is that as well as my 19 month old I also have a 4 year old who gets the evil "big child" stares if I try to take them both sad

unpa1dcar3r Wed 27-Jul-11 10:00:13

Hi Nooby, sympathies.
Have 2 young teenagers both SLD and desperately trying to keep them occupied. Been ok so far but mainly cos the weathers been brill.

Try your local council website for events, like free swimming. Or the local library, they do reading groups for children and fun stuff...All free.
They don't tend to advertise these things too well so always worth a look.

MsWeatherwax Wed 27-Jul-11 13:53:13

Definitely try the library - they do focus on the masses of school-aged children descending on them at this time doing the summer reading challenge, but they will likely do a Story time or baby session of some kind which would be more suitable, and if you drop in casually there may well be other mums to hang out with and of course suitable books to read.

There must be stuff....what did our parents do with us then??? There wasnt sure start and soft play about when I was a kid thats for sure.

Just be more organised in your bookings and hopefully from next week you;ll be back to normal.

Kveta Wed 27-Jul-11 14:07:14

if you're in cambs - look here - www.sedgwickmuseum.org/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now