Talk

Advanced search

To nap whilst looking after my 3 y/o

(54 Posts)
Wossisface Wed 27-Jul-11 02:50:15

After my last night shift I do not have child care, I have been putting the baby down in her cot for a sleep and then me and my 3 y/o play in the lounge once she is into the game/puzzle/film etc I lay on the couch and doze I wouldn't say I'm asleep fully but I'm not fully awake either, I haven't told anyone about this because I guess I think I'm being irresponsible but it's only for 1 hour 2 max whilst the baby sleeps it just takes the edge off my tiredness. My 3y/o is sensible and our home is secure and baby proofed for the 9 month old,

Opinons please...please don't flame me

SurreyDad Wed 27-Jul-11 03:00:00

Careful, ss will be trawling these threads and will demand MN give them your IP address and they will come round and bang your door down and steal your children.

TanteRose Wed 27-Jul-11 03:33:41

Don't be naughty, SurreyDad!

Wossis, its fine - no doubt you would fully wake up if either of the DCs wanted your full attention.

Mare11bp Wed 27-Jul-11 04:47:26

YANBU. I have done the same, DS same age as yours. Like you it's never been proper sleep and too much movement in the room I have woken up.

Hopefully SS have bigger fish to fry.

ChocolateIsAFoodGroup Wed 27-Jul-11 05:17:33

Um, isn't that why it's called nap time?!

DS is four, DD one, and we have a family nap time for 1-2 hours every day! Wouldn't survive the pm without it wink

HairyBeaver Wed 27-Jul-11 06:20:24

I always have a afternoon nap whilst DD (2.6yrs) is engrossed in peppa pig grin

howabout Wed 27-Jul-11 06:26:48

My DD2 was not fit for much in the way of fun and games after nursery and so we used to both have downtime like yours every afternoon. YANBU.

TheFrogs Wed 27-Jul-11 06:31:56

I dont think YABU, I call it "mummy sleep"...it's almost like having one eye open...the slightest noise and you're up like someone from a toothpaste ad i'm guessing!

Curiousmama Wed 27-Jul-11 06:32:29

YANBU. If you're still worried maybe you could get 3 yr old to nap with you?

ilovedora27 Wed 27-Jul-11 06:36:41

Most parents do this. Its not a big deal

GotArt Wed 27-Jul-11 06:41:16

When I was pregnant with DD2, I did it plenty of times. I would lay down on couch to watch Dr. Phil and pass out and DD1 would wake and crawl under blankets and we'd have a snuggle and I would turn her program on... sometimes we would lay there for and hour or more. I wish I could do that now. I miss our snuggles.

I don't think there's a problem with it. So long as you aren't totally asleep.

I remember my mom telling me once about being half asleep on the couch thinking my sisters were OK playing in their bedroom with Barbie's but then she heard the unmistakeable sound of running water from that far off place between full sleep and wake and when she pulled herself awake, she found they had taken all the towels from the bathroom and rolled them and made a circle and proceeded to 'fill' it because they wanted to a swimming pool. Good thing they only had hardwood floor in their bedroom.

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 27-Jul-11 07:23:19

I can often be found snoozing on the sofa while Peppa Pig keeps an eye on dd. As you said, you're never fully asleep and 3yos are extremely good at bashing you on the head when they want something!

GoodnightNobody Wed 27-Jul-11 07:25:13

the afternoon snooze is a fine example of 'horizontal parenting.'

CheerfulYank Wed 27-Jul-11 07:26:24

I nap almost every day and have since DS started taking regular naps. He stopped at about 2.5 (he's four now) but we still have quiet time every day while he watches instant Netflix programs and I doze.

Which reminds me of something my mother said that other day that made me angry. Off to start an AIBU about it...

HairyGrotter Wed 27-Jul-11 07:35:26

DD is 3 and hasn't napped since she was 14 months, I have a little snooze when required during the afternoon whilst she mucks about. I get a snippet of 15 minutes here and there because she likes to smack my head or make a racket.

Like most mums, you're up within a shot if you hear something untoward

5GoMadOnAZ650 Wed 27-Jul-11 07:40:48

YANBU, I quite often have a snooze in the afternoon whilst the dd's watch Tangled for the 1000000th time, we get blankets out and all curl up on the sofa. There is nothing better than a cat nap in the afternoon, especially like today when it's grey and murky outside and your warm and cozy indoors.

Llanarth Wed 27-Jul-11 08:07:16

Yup, do this several times a week. I thought everyone did?!

Shodan Wed 27-Jul-11 08:07:21

I do this often. Fortunately for me ds2 still has a nap some days (3.8) but on the days he doesn't he gets to watch Team Umizoomi or whatever while I examine the inside of my eyelids. Like you say, it's not a proper sleep but most refreshing...

MumblingRagDoll Wed 27-Jul-11 08:13:31

I do it with DD2....DD1 would NEVER have let me but DD2 sits next t e and wathes TV/dozes for an hour. Its our "nap time" it;s fine imo

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Wed 27-Jul-11 08:17:39

I do this blush. I do try to have dd sit with me so I have an arm round her or something so know if she moves.

In fact yesterday I set het up on my bed to watch monster Inc whilst I did sone sorting out and lie down with her for a min to make sure she was ok and..... Yep went to sleep! My excuse is I'm 33.6 weeks pg and dd doesn't always understand when she should be getting up.

hmmSleep Wed 27-Jul-11 08:18:41

How I wish I could do this, if I dare even think of closing an eye my 3 dcs come and physically prise them open and jump on my head. If they let me I would though, so YANBU.

Esta3GG Wed 27-Jul-11 08:24:03

If I hadn't done this with my lot I'd be dead by now.
It's perfectly normal to cat nap when you get a chance.
I do think women with kids have the ability to sleep whilst somehow remaining fully conscious!

itisnearlysummer Wed 27-Jul-11 08:49:02

I used to do this and mine are both fine.

5gomad It's Tangled for us too. Or Enchanted. Get the blankie. Sometimes DS joins us too. DD thinks it's a treat!

YAsoNBU

revolutionscoop Wed 27-Jul-11 08:59:27

I've done this many times, especially when pregnant.

Hormoneoverload Wed 27-Jul-11 09:02:42

Absolutely fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now