Talk

Advanced search

To hate these stupid overly simplistic facebook statuses

(19 Posts)
Elvisina Tue 26-Jul-11 22:11:14

I need to learn not to bite when I see these silly statuses but I couldn't help myself today with the one below. I ended up in a debate that went nowhere because apparently by feeling a bit sad about the death of a singer I like I am in fact being highly disrespectful to the families of dead soldiers! I mean really?!!

"Everyone feeling sorry for Amy winehouse think about this... She buys some heroin, most of the heroin on the UK streets comes from afghanistan, the money from that deal goes to the taliban, Which pays for bomb parts and bullets that are aimed for a soldier, the soldier gets killed and leaves a wife and kids & family's behind!!"

Surely the situation is far from being this simplistic! Or am I the one who is being unreasonable? If a girl doesn't get a bit of compassion on the day of her funeral then when does she?

BagofHolly Tue 26-Jul-11 22:13:17

Yanbu. Deleted someone tonight for that. Idiotic post.

thisisyesterday Tue 26-Jul-11 22:16:04

wow, apparently (from a quick bit of googling) most of the heroin in the UK really does come from Afghanistan!

sorry. nothing else to add, i agree with you totally!

Meglet Tue 26-Jul-11 22:16:56

I do tend to roll my eyes at ones like that.

thisisyesterday Tue 26-Jul-11 22:17:18

although, if you read this you will see that it's clearly all the fault of the US.

the internet says so, it must be true wink

EvilTwins Tue 26-Jul-11 22:17:48

YANBU. I deleted someone recently for some ridiculously DM simplistic bollocks about the teachers strike.

NoCarbsBeforeMarbs Tue 26-Jul-11 22:22:52

Hate this.

Whenever anyone dies, or disasters (like earthquakes) happen, there are always the "what about our brave soldiers?" groups and status' on fb.

As though 1 life is worth less, or more important than another.
Some people seem to think there is no place for compassion for all.

Grrrr!

YANBU.

bubblesincoffee Tue 26-Jul-11 22:26:10

There was another one on some of my friends statuses about how her death has been publicised, but nobody knows the name of the soldier that died in Iraq or somewhere.

I thought it was a valid point, but I wouldn't have re posted.

mayorquimby Tue 26-Jul-11 22:28:23

I'm glad I'm Irish as it means I miss out on the moronic faux-moral "sport are brave troops abroad" type updates.

iklboo Tue 26-Jul-11 22:33:08

Someone on my FB posted about 'does anyone know the name of a single US soldier killed in Iraq'. I thought 'Do you? You live in Burnage' hmm

MeconiumHappens Tue 26-Jul-11 22:33:43

Many facebooking people are twonks. Amy winehouse is a dead 27yr old, however that comes about it is tragic. I think these status updates are a really great way of screening out the twonks on your friends list!

Elvisina Tue 26-Jul-11 22:41:06

Oh I know I really really must not take these seriously but I just can't let some of them go and end up asking the poster for more substantial evidence, further explanation etc and it never goes anywhere because the kind of person who posts these isn't going to be swayed by logic! I must learn to "roll my eyes" like meglet and defriend!

Filibear Wed 27-Jul-11 11:05:51

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Summerbird73 Wed 27-Jul-11 12:45:55

yep my BIL basically bollocked us all on FB for feeling sad for Amy Winehouse as we obviously didnt care about the families in Norway.

Er yes actually i feel sorry for EVERYONE! hmm rant over!

2shoes Wed 27-Jul-11 12:53:57

op your not wrong, if I get one more that has something to do with disability or cancer in It I will scream.
imo they are the fb equivalent of chain letters

AbsDuCroissant Wed 27-Jul-11 12:54:57

What? You mean you can feel sympathy for multiple people at the same time?! Much like, you can hold more than one thought in your head at the same time ... my assumption is that people who do post these dumbass status updates are incapable of the "more than one thought" thing.

whatsallthehullaballoo Wed 27-Jul-11 12:55:56

I hate all those updates...I am in the military life and so my friends post about this crap day in and day out. They sound very 'worthy' tbh and do not have a clue what they are saying most of the time. YANBU

HPonEverything Wed 27-Jul-11 12:58:54

I absolutely hate them.
As if by posting such a status you are morally a better person than anyone else, but I'd like to know if the people who post them actually contribute in any other way e.g. their own time, or donating to Help for Heroes for example.

I've also seen the one about "Amy Winehouse died, but how many of you know the name of X who died in Afghanistan" and I just want to say "well, YOU didn't know the name of X in Afghanistan til you saw this on facebook did you?

But what can you do, the majority rules and the majority would flame you if you actually said what everyone is thinking

missdt Wed 27-Jul-11 13:16:56

Ha HA ikiboo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now