Talk

Advanced search

to think people can be so fucking self absorbed

(17 Posts)
MeconiumHappens Tue 26-Jul-11 21:54:20

God im so sick of people demanding better this, that or the other with absolutely no grasp of the fact that when times are hard (ie nhs funding) that there has to be prioritising and perhaps they just arent making the cut. I cant stand people shouting and ranting about not getting what they WANT because that person is busy giving it to someone who NEEDS it.

Are we becoming a selfish, self important society? Or are the selfish ones just louder?

tethersend Tue 26-Jul-11 21:56:02

I'm sorry, but I'm struggling to see how any of this affects me.

reelingintheyears Tue 26-Jul-11 21:56:05

Hey Ho.

StrandedBear Tue 26-Jul-11 22:00:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissyBrookes Tue 26-Jul-11 22:00:59

You need to be a little more specific on the subject here: are you talking about patient care on the nhs?? Or something else entirely??

QueenCee Tue 26-Jul-11 22:01:25

I think people expect a certain standard if they are paying for it. The NHS for example, I pay for it, I understand they are short staffed/lacking cash but I think sometimes the standards fall far far below acceptable.
2 examples that spring to mind... My elderly grandmother with alzheimers, can't move.... Told they don't have time to feed her... They placed a jug of water out of her reach. She can't ask for it. Fortuantly she has family close to help.
Secondly, I believed I may be miscarrying. Very very distressed. Told the next emergency scan appt was in 2 weeks.unacceptable.
I could go on to give many many examples.
So yes.... Yabu, many people have good cause to moan, recession/cut backs or not!

MissyBrookes Tue 26-Jul-11 22:04:32

Oh I seee I assume this is a dig at the post natal care thread?? Fair enough, prioritize those who need urgent medical attention, but don't treat me like an arse hole in the process. NHS cuts are no excuse for neglect of patients "who are just making a fuss about nothing" (then end up dead) and general rudeness.

MeconiumHappens Tue 26-Jul-11 22:07:50

But the examples people are giving are care that is NEEDED. These should be the priorities. But less time is spent dealing with these because of people making ridiculous demands and putting their own wants first. Im thinking the time wasting idiotic calls to ambulances for people who need their toenails cutting and the likes. grrfpffpfpffff.

ps, annoying how people invariably misconstrue the op to make you sound like a cock.

MeconiumHappens Tue 26-Jul-11 22:13:29

I've poorly timed this rant haven't I. No, this isn't a pop at the postnatal care thread, quite the opposite. Its bloody disgusting the care women are getting. The fact the postanatal women arent getting the very basic comfort and care they need is outrageous. And yet we have constant streams of people wasting time and resources. In my doctors surgery theres a sign saying that 5 hrs of surgery time is wasted by people not turning up. 5 hours! gah!

Orbinator Tue 26-Jul-11 22:17:14

MH I think they should charge people who don't turn up/call to cancel with an hour's notice. I'm confident if they charged just £5/10 for each missed app people wouldn't be so blazee about it and the docs could re-book and have the cash go back into the healthcare system.

timidviper Tue 26-Jul-11 22:18:18

That is the problem with everything OP. Yes if we could stop idiots wasting NHS resources we could afford the stuff people really need but equally if we could stop idiot politicians spending resources wrongly we could probably eliminate world poverty.

MeconiumHappens Tue 26-Jul-11 22:21:04

Brilliant idea Orb. Would make people realise that there is value to this time and free up spaces so we dont have to do the dreaded 8.30am phone jam to try and get in to see the doc.

nojustificationneeded Tue 26-Jul-11 22:22:27

nojustificationneeded Tue 26-Jul-11 22:22:55

nojustificationneeded Tue 26-Jul-11 22:25:37

babybarrister Tue 26-Jul-11 23:15:24

let's starting "charging" for some of it as follows:

1. actually pursue the insurers in respect of NHS care given after accidents eg car accidents etc - my experience as a lawyer is that although there is the power to do so, it is not used. DS recently admitted to A and E due to someone else's negligence - why shouldn't they pay?

2. fine people for not attending - maybe 2 strikes and then you are fined?

3. make all pissed people admitted for drinking related injuries "pay" by asking them to come in on another Saturday night and clean up vomit in A & E

Orbinator Tue 26-Jul-11 23:19:16

It is the drinking culture that wastes so much of the NHS resources. However I don't think the usual suspects would voluntarily clean anything and would probably cause more trouble than it would be worth in A&E on a weekend.

Yup - 3 strikes then you have to pay for wasted appointments sounds fair. I think hitting people in the pocket is the only way to make them realise how serious wasting a Dr's time can be for other patients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now