Talk

Advanced search

to 'remove' these traffic cones

(33 Posts)
StagnantRabbit Tue 26-Jul-11 21:49:39

OK I think I am losing it over this so please tell me if so but....

Theres a woman on my street who has a personal supply of traffic cones (they're proper ones - police style/professional looking) which she uses to 'reserve' her parking spot outside her house. I've noticed her do it a few times. She has 2 kids to load in to the car, buggy etc but in fairness a lot of us do on the street. Parking is in shortish supply as we are close to a station, but she could easily get within 10m of her house pretty much all of the time I reckon.

Should I just get a life and get my own set of cones or secretly remove them after she's gone out?

lawnimp Tue 26-Jul-11 21:51:13

i'd just leave her to it, people are nuts about parking

scurryfunge Tue 26-Jul-11 21:51:25

I would remove them.....I also have no life.

TigerseyeMum Tue 26-Jul-11 21:51:36

Oh, if I need a space and the only one left is one with a 'cone' on it, I get out and move the cone.

alowVera Tue 26-Jul-11 21:51:50

Remove said cones -- then use them at a later date to reserve your spot--

Hassled Tue 26-Jul-11 21:53:37

Presumably removing them would be theft. I suppose you could remove them from the road and stack them up neatly in her front garden/by her door, but don't take them away anywhere.

She sounds like a nutter.

Have you spoken to the council re introducing permit parking?

Empusa Tue 26-Jul-11 21:53:59

One of my friends had that outside their place. So they moved the cones and parked. Lunatic owner of the cones came out and keyed their car hmm

TigerseyeMum Tue 26-Jul-11 21:55:20

I don't see how it could be theft if she has left them in the road? Technically she is obstructing the highway, which is an offence.

People do this in my street with wheelie bins, I noisily move them back onto the pavement right outside their gates. Because I am an arsey cow, but there you go.

cheesesarnie Tue 26-Jul-11 21:56:08

do what hassled said and leave a note saying 'you left these outside,thought id return them'.keep doing itgrin

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 26-Jul-11 21:58:17

Many of us on our street have cones. Because no end of tourists come looking for parking on the tiny side streets rather than pay a quid to use the big car park at the bottom of the bloody hill angry

But if anyone who lives here or is visiting needs to park, they just shift the cone. I mean, if a tourist came along and shifted the cone, fair enough. There's nothing stopping them. But people have an odd respect for cones, don't they? grin

We also have sorted ourselves into our own parking spaces. Everyone's got their own spot and if they are forced to park in someone else's for any reason, then when theirs becomes free, they go out and shift the car.

It's all very civilised grin

So if you need to park there - move the cone.

StagnantRabbit Tue 26-Jul-11 22:00:11

Good point Hassled, think the council really need to introduce parking permits, but no plans for this as yet.
Why do people get so irate about parking? I can't even believe I even feel this way about it blush feel quite ashamed tbh.
Think I will remove the cones tho - shame she never seems to go out at night (I have checked!?!), therefore the removal will need to take place in broad daylight. I'm sure there's other people on my street who feel pissed off about the cones. Maybe a small cheer will go up once I have snatched them?!

hephaestus Tue 26-Jul-11 22:00:21

Someone on our street kept doing this, we mentioned it to a passing community support officer and he went and had a word. It is an offence, technically. She stopped doing it after that.

MogTheForgetfulCat Tue 26-Jul-11 22:00:25

Remove! It's a blardy public highway, people have no right to reserve a spot unless it's a dedicated disabled space. An old man on our street does this, drives me bonkers. I 'accidentally' ran over one of his cones a few months ago, but he found another one. I bet the cones are nicked, too grin.

emsyj Tue 26-Jul-11 22:01:17

We used to live on a terraced street and a neighbour did this - PLUS they had an officious little notice on the front of their house saying 'NO PARKING'. I thought it was very strange considering it was a very wide street with parking on both sides and mostly elderly residents without cars. DH and I had a car each when we lived there and never struggled for a spot!

Nowt so queer as folk.

StagnantRabbit Tue 26-Jul-11 22:01:24

Not worried about my car being keyed as its already been done both sides! (nice part of town where I live!)

StagnantRabbit Tue 26-Jul-11 22:11:12

Thank you everyone, those cones WILL be mine!!!

UKSky Tue 26-Jul-11 22:16:19

Wait until she goes out and move it up the road a few spaces. Next time, move it down the road a few spaces. You will feel get a giggle.

mayorquimby Tue 26-Jul-11 22:16:51

There's nothing more certain to get me to park in a space than someone putting cones on a public street.

gallicgirl Tue 26-Jul-11 22:22:25

I used to live on a street like this - actually it was worse because i often had to park in the next street or around the corner - but one of my neighbours had cones and I would happily move them if I needed a parking space. It's a public highway not an extension of your private drive.

Kladdkaka Tue 26-Jul-11 22:24:05

Photoshop up a letter to look like it comes from you local police force advising her that 'use of portable prohibition notices (commonly known as no parking road cones) by private individuals is an offence pursuant to section 7(a)(iii) of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 punishable by a fine not exceeding £5000 and/or upto 6 months imprisonment.

(I completely made that up)

If the cones actually look like police ones and you're feeling particularly malevolent, add that 'possession of police portable prohibition notices (commonly known as police no parking road cones) is an offence pursuant to section 12(b)(i) of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 punishble by .... yada yada. We strongly advise you to return any police portable prohibition notices to your nearest police station within 1 week to avoid prosecution.'

(I made that up too)
Mwahahaha. [evil grin smilie]

Kladdkaka Tue 26-Jul-11 22:26:15

Oh, and include in you letter that she has to take the letter with her when she returns the cones.

InstantAtom Tue 26-Jul-11 22:38:27

I'd put them in her garden, making a different sculpture from them each time just to puzzle her even more grin

Tidey Tue 26-Jul-11 22:44:20

I would contact your local police station and ask whether she's breaking the law by blocking off a space that she has no legal right to. Silly moo.

Andrewofgg Wed 27-Jul-11 13:06:12

Put them on the pavement with a note saying "ILLEGAL CONES - IGNORE" in large bold letters. Use UHU to fix the note to the cones. Then park where they were. TNS about this.

YellowDaffodil Wed 27-Jul-11 13:12:09

Ask her if she has been watching reruns of Bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now