Talk

Advanced search

To allow an almost (2 months away) 15 year old to go and see Bridesmaids at the cinema?

(24 Posts)
Southernisle Tue 26-Jul-11 19:00:43

DD has asked to go and see Bridesmaids at the cinema with friends.

She honestly didn't know the rating.

And I've just checked and it's a 15. AIBU to allow her to go as she's still only 14?

What is the punishment for going underage to the cinema?

TidyDancer Tue 26-Jul-11 19:05:37

I haven't seen the film, but I am generally quite dismissive of age ratings. Some 12 ratings will be suitable for 8 year olds, but some will not be my definition of acceptable for a child well over 12. It's all swings and roundabouts.

manicbmc Tue 26-Jul-11 19:09:43

It's an excellent film. There's a bit of 'cartoon-like' sex scene at the beginning and some swearing but it is very very funny.

Southernisle Tue 26-Jul-11 19:11:15

Sorry just to clarify my question more is AIBU to allow her to even go to the cinema under age, and what is the punishment if caught?

Not this particular film in general.

LetThereBeRock Tue 26-Jul-11 19:12:56

What would worry me is that they might ask for ID,in which case she'll be refused entry,and in that event would her friends go and watch it and leave her alone?

squeakytoy Tue 26-Jul-11 19:13:16

I dont think anyone has ever been punished for going to the cinema underage... not by the cinema anyway. They either let them in, or they dont.

If anything the cinema would be at fault, but I doubt they have inspectors on the doors at a 15 film....

TheThingUpstairs Tue 26-Jul-11 19:14:13

I am not sure there is any punishment, surely she won't be let in if staff think she is underage?

mumeeee Tue 26-Jul-11 19:15:21

I think she will just be refused entry that's what happened to one of DD3's friends, She was 15 but the cinema thought she was younger and she diden't have any ID on her,, But if the cineam do let herin and they get found out they coud get a big fine,

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Tue 26-Jul-11 19:17:59

What is the punishment for going underage to the cinema?

I would posit a guess that hellfire and damnation doesn't appear on the punishment chart for either the underage child/ren or their parent(s)/guardians.

Have a couple of wine and, depending on its efficacy, you may (albeit temporarily) recall that dd was born a year earlier than her actual birth date.

I have the converse problem and have discovered that a wine (or
10) is sufficient to convince me that I was born 10 years later than the date shown on my official documents. grin

<goes in search of another bottle>

Southernisle Tue 26-Jul-11 19:20:41

LOL izzywhizzy

Ok so as long as she looks over 15 - I'm just being an uncool mother, well at least nothing changes.

Now where's my corkscrew!

Kiwiinkits Tue 26-Jul-11 22:06:23

There's a sex scene at the beginning - quite graphic, lots of positions, but she has her bra on. How sophisticated is your daughter? How okay are you with seeing her watching a sex scene? I probably would've been fine at 15 seeing that but some 15 year olds are pretty unworldly...

A1980 Tue 26-Jul-11 23:12:15

Bridesmaids is crap. It was very very crude and I found the oneupmanship annoying.

As for punsihment, nothing will happen to you. It would be plausible for you to say you can't stop your DD trying to see a restricted film. But if the cinema admits her underage and they get caught they'll be heavily fined. I worked in a cinema as a student, they do spot checks.

Sharney Tue 26-Jul-11 23:19:13

It's a great film, if you can, see it with her. Great insight into female friendships and relationships with men, ie... what not to put up with. And as an added bonus she'll be introduced to the amazing Wilson Philips! Some day somebody's gonna make you wanna turn around and say goodbye..... Brilliant! smile

OrdinaryJo Tue 26-Jul-11 23:19:34

Basically, the risk is on her. She might get refused entry, in which case the blush is on her. But she won't get into trouble, just be left at the door. Obviously only you and her know what her friends would do in that situation!

In terms of the film, I think it was quite sweet actually and a girl at high school will relate to the one-upmanship pretty well I would think grin

Pandemoniaa Tue 26-Jul-11 23:20:36

It's totally suitable for a nearly 15 year old. Provided she hasn't been kept in a cloister for the last fourteen and three quarter years.

OrdinaryJo Tue 26-Jul-11 23:20:42

Sharney till then baby.... smile

Signet2012 Tue 26-Jul-11 23:25:24

If she can get in/get served then its fair game...... least thats how it was for me!

Make sure she says she is 16 if asked not the specified age.

Could knock her up a fake college library card with a "oh, well i dont have any actual ID - Will my college library card do?"

Tell her to go to the guy and smile nice, chest out

Send her elder friend

PAy for them online and then walk in.

Pay to go see a U or PG film with same start time and then switch!

Can you tell I was always the short one who couldnt get in haha smile

vmcd28 Tue 26-Jul-11 23:27:02

Things will go your way if you hold on for one more day.

OrdinaryJo Tue 26-Jul-11 23:28:33

Hoooooold on, for one more day.

maighdlin Tue 26-Jul-11 23:33:39

if your that worried check this out. nothing will happen if she is "caught" she will either be told "no" when buying the ticket or given a probably half arsed warning from a manager. once she gets the ticket then there should be no bother.

Sharney Tue 26-Jul-11 23:34:17

Break free break from those chains...

OrdinaryJo Tue 26-Jul-11 23:59:31

Hold on for one more day-ay.

And now to bed for me! grin

AnyFuleKno Wed 27-Jul-11 00:04:37

There's about 3 minutes at the start of shagging in different positions, quite graphic. I would have been mortified if I had to see that as a teenager esp in a cinema full of people.

The rest of it is fine

AandK Wed 27-Jul-11 02:11:07

As far as I'm aware cinemas are getting quite strict at checking the ages. I'd let her go but let it be aware that if she doesn't get in her friends shouldn't go in without her.

I wouldn't want my 14yo to be left on their own Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now