Talk

Advanced search

To judge potential childminders on things like accents?

(62 Posts)
WhoahThere Tue 26-Jul-11 16:47:54

Looking for a childminder and finding it hard to envisage leaving dd at all (but know I have to work for my sanity).

Today's visit was lovely, great set up, lovely CM with a very strong regional accent. I don't have an accent to speak of and am pretty anal about speaking properly, grammar, etc. DH has an accent but not from this area. I'm imagining i'll get flamed for being a snob but does anyone think this should be a factor in making a decision?

And as a slight side 'issue' she used a really high baby voice when speaking to dd which would do my head in - dd didn't seem to mind though!

So AIBU?

doesntfitin Tue 26-Jul-11 16:49:04

YABU and a snob

PONGPONGPONG Tue 26-Jul-11 16:49:55

Whatever really.

GypsyMoth Tue 26-Jul-11 16:49:56

YABU and a snob

harassedandherbug Tue 26-Jul-11 16:50:52

I'm in Hampshire and my dd (5) has been with her cm since she was 5 mths old. Cm comes from Sunderland grin. For a while dd had a definite Sunderland twang to certain words..... hello and no way jose in particular.

YABU in my opinion grin

iamamug Tue 26-Jul-11 16:51:08

Sorry but YABU - MUCH more important things to look at.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 26-Jul-11 16:51:12

LOL!! YABU but very, very funny. You must have seen the Catherine Tate sketch where Jill Halfpenny turns up as a replacement nanny and they all cowered away from her, backing into the Aga. "What's she saying mummy???!!! What's she saying!!!!!!"

MissPenteuth Tue 26-Jul-11 16:51:19

Of course YANBU. I agree with wanting your child to pick up correct grammar, but an accent has absolutely nothing to do with that.

IslaValargeone Tue 26-Jul-11 16:51:22

A strong accent doesn't equate to someone being unable to string a sentence together you know hmm
I think there are far more important considerations than whether someone might be prone to saying "By 'eck lass" to your daughter.

MissPenteuth Tue 26-Jul-11 16:51:29

Balls I mean YABU!

cricketballs Tue 26-Jul-11 16:51:55

I can't believe you are being serious!

slightlyunbalanced Tue 26-Jul-11 16:52:14

Are you that women from the Catherine Tate show? hmm Wrong to judge ANYONE on their accent IMO....

pineapple70 Tue 26-Jul-11 16:54:10

Ha ha ha ha of course you have an accent!
Yabu
Made me laugh though

LetThereBeRock Tue 26-Jul-11 16:55:23

YABVVU,and I do hope that you aren't serious.

LineRunner Tue 26-Jul-11 16:57:04

I found a lovely CM and everything was just fine until I went to pick the children up later than usual one day. The husband had come home from work and was sitting watching the TV at about a million decibels. The walls were shaking.

The DCs still remember it.

I would worry more about that kind of thing, tbh.

Cogito grin

CheerfulYank Tue 26-Jul-11 16:57:33

I would adore someone with a strong regional accent. I love the way different people sound. YABU.

BeerTricksPotter Tue 26-Jul-11 16:59:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 26-Jul-11 16:59:45

"I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies Miss Scarlett!!"

WhoahThere Tue 26-Jul-11 17:00:16

Jesus I am definitely BU then! Reading back, I do sound like a bit of a twat. I shall appoint said childminder forthwith.

IslaValargeone Tue 26-Jul-11 17:00:40

grin

doesntfitin Tue 26-Jul-11 17:01:25

Blimey that was easy grin

TheOriginalFAB Tue 26-Jul-11 17:01:28

I nannied for some people and I was from the same area as Dad. The child picked up a few of my words but so what, similar to dad!

I wouldn't use her as you will only start to resent her. For the CM sake, go with someone else.

issey6cats Tue 26-Jul-11 17:02:42

YABU i left birmingham when i was 17 at 54 still got the brummie twang, but i dont speak black country i speak the queens english, so you probably wouldnt pick me cos of my accent sorry but yes you are a snob and in her life your daughter will hear a variety of accents, its what makes uk so interesting, and when she goes to school are you going to say to the head i only want bbc english accents round my daughter lol

PumpkinBones Tue 26-Jul-11 17:03:03

YABU, but then you know that smile

WhoahThere Tue 26-Jul-11 17:03:25

Actually, good point doesntfitin, I may have caved too early. Keep 'em coming!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now