Talk

Advanced search

Photo's taken by other parent's at school functions and posted on the internet

(101 Posts)
Fenland Tue 26-Jul-11 15:48:03

Am i being completely unreasonable in thinking that photos taken at school events of my children by other parents should not be posted on the internet. My nine year old son has sobbed his eyes out over embarrassing photo's posted by another parent on facebook, even after a polite request to take them down she refused. Now to our absolute horror we have found out that there is nothing in the British legal system to protect our child's image being posted on the internet by anyone, the one saving grace was facebook is outside the juristiction of the UK law and parental permission is required for children under the age of 13. Should the UK law be changed for any pictures from events such as sports day, plays ect so parental permission is required before any other parent from the event can post them on the net.

MadamDeathstare Tue 26-Jul-11 15:53:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BigHairyGruffalo Tue 26-Jul-11 15:53:38

Have you spoken to the school about this? I can't imagine that they would be happy about it.

GypsyMoth Tue 26-Jul-11 15:54:26

just ask facebook to remove it?

MadamDeathstare Tue 26-Jul-11 15:54:35

lesley33 Tue 26-Jul-11 15:55:15

YANBU about an embarassing photo that makes your don cry.

YABU about photos in general. It would create so much work trying to get every parents permission for a photo at an event or play - especially as there will always be children in the background.

I don't really understand the recent concerns about children being photographed. What is the problem with DC being photographed unless you are at risk e.g. from DV from an ex partner if someone finds out where you live/what school your DC goes to etc.

MadamDeathstare Tue 26-Jul-11 15:55:30

biddysmama Tue 26-Jul-11 15:56:55

yanbu, it says on the photo premission forms we get that you havent to put them on the internet or they will stop photos being taken

AgentZigzag Tue 26-Jul-11 15:57:12

She's being a PITA refusing to take them down if you've asked her.

Hopefully fb will sort it for you.

How are the photos embarrassing?

DeathOrCake Tue 26-Jul-11 15:57:55

I agree with MadamDeathstare, is it being done maliciously?

FWIW I always check with parents before publishing photos online.

GypsyMoth Tue 26-Jul-11 15:58:45

there is nothing to stop pics being posted anywhere,can you imagine how hard that would be to enforce and police? who would pay for it? and why?? what what are you afraid of?

my dd was involved easlier this year in a voyeurism incident,man due to be sentenced next week but dd was evetually found to not be on the phone (it was placed in shower cubicle,filmed her and her friend showering,but failed to film dd)

of course we all thought he was a paedophile with footage put on the net etc,but he wasnt

EdithWeston Tue 26-Jul-11 16:00:25

YANBU - no-one should be posting pix without consent of those in them.

It's particularly bad if it includes children from families escaping DV, subject to complex care orders, in witness protection schemes, from Forces families (and the list could probably go on). And it's doubly bad as those in the most vulnerable circumstances will keep their status very private, so no-one will know the damage they coul be doing.

And that's in addition to those who just don't like it, or don't want an uncontrolled presence in cyberspace.

biddysmama Tue 26-Jul-11 16:01:50

didnt we have a poster a week or so ago whos husband worked with paedophiles so she didnt want pics of her dc online in case they were linked to him?

Fenland Tue 26-Jul-11 16:02:40

The school say there is nothing they can do, they have a photographing policy that reads that other parents would be allowed to take photos on the strict understanding that any images are for private use only and should not be posted on the internet, failure to comply would lead to a contravention of the data protection act. I have rung Data protection, the education department, the public protection unit, child protection unit and there is nothing in the UK law that stops any one from taking pictures of any child what so ever and posting them on the net. Am I over reacting or should we have a choice as parents to decide if our son/daughter is posted on You Tube or Myspace or anywhere else on the net.

WyrdMother Tue 26-Jul-11 16:03:53

Our school always tells us that any photos taken can only be used at home and never posted on the internet so do speak to the school, there may still be someone there as our Head is usually around for a few days after the end of term. I am sure they will not be happy about one of their events being used to indirectly bully one of thier students.

WyrdMother Tue 26-Jul-11 16:05:09

Sorry Fenland, x posted, that sucks, there is no other word for it.

clam Tue 26-Jul-11 16:06:31

Well you should certainly report it to the school and they may well let it be known that no photos may be taken at school events in future. At our school, for instance, parents are told at the start of plays/concerts that they are welcome to video/take snaps, provided that nothing is posted online. I dont know if that's enforceable - probably not, but if it did become known that people were doing it, then they could disallow photography in future. Which is a shame for everyone else, of course, but that's what happens with antisocial behaviour.

lesley33 Tue 26-Jul-11 16:06:34

Edith - how is that even practical unless you just don't post pics online? I have photos of me and friends at events where there are people in the background. I haven't got those people's permission and I don't think I should have to.

I remember years ago a foster mother I knew couldn't let the Dc in her care have photos taken that might be published. So she was very careful to let people know this and to not place the DC in a situation where this could happen e.g. school play.

clam Tue 26-Jul-11 16:07:12

Sorry, x posted.
Must type quicker!

AgentZigzag Tue 26-Jul-11 16:08:32

'I have rung Data protection, the education department, the public protection unit, child protection unit'

You are taking it very seriously aren't you?

If there really is nothing you can do, I think teaching your DS some coping mechanisms for dealing with embarrassing situations could be a good idea?

lesley33 Tue 26-Jul-11 16:08:57

No it is not enforceable to stop people putting photos of your child online if there is no maliciousness or criminal intent. Schools may ask parents not to, but the only thing they can enforce is to ban parents from taking any photos.

NormanTebbit Tue 26-Jul-11 16:09:49

Well any broadcaster can take footage or publish pictures of anyone, permission is not required. I think parental permission is required for under 13's if identified in newspapers.

It's not something that bothers me, but it's unkind of the other parentnot to take the pictures down...

2shoes Tue 26-Jul-11 16:10:44

yanbu
I would be angry it to, can you report it to fb?
we are allowed to take photo's at dd;s school, but if i am putting them on fb, i cut the others out iynwim,

Fenland Tue 26-Jul-11 16:11:20

It's ok clam, i must type quicker too

BigHairyGruffalo Tue 26-Jul-11 16:12:04

Report the picture on facebook and they might remove it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now