Talk

Advanced search

Should this be up for debate?

(31 Posts)
Newmummytobe79 Tue 26-Jul-11 13:55:23

Not really an AIBU but just wanted to know what you all thought about this? Baby is due soon, will be around 2.5 – 3 months old when it’s SIL’s birthday party. Kids will be attending. Baby will be coming with us. DH and I have joke bickers (!) about how it will be his turn to drive when baby arrives so mummy can have a glass of wine or 2! He suggests we get a taxi to events like I’ve just mentioned and take car seat for baby. Neither of us will get drunk but would like a few which would take us over the limit – are we being unreasonable and should one of us drive and not drink at all or is it ok to put a baby in a carseat in a taxi and have a few drinks?

This may not be an issue if I can’t express as I plan to bf – but just wondered if it was acceptable or frowned upon? If it makes a difference – it would be a 10 minute journey.

charliejosh Tue 26-Jul-11 13:58:07

YANBU, you will both deserve a drink - enjoy!

Punkatheart Tue 26-Jul-11 13:58:12

Surely it's not OK to drink if you are breastfeeding? I also would not drink in charge of a baby. Better that there is one parent who has not been drinking. Judgement is impaired with alcohol.

Newmummytobe79 Tue 26-Jul-11 13:59:43

Thanks Charliejosh smile

Punkatheart - that's why I mentioned expressing - I would not bf whilst out drinking alcohol!

CoffeeIsMyFriend Tue 26-Jul-11 13:59:54

If you are ebf I would make sure you had plenty of milk if you are going to have a few drinks.

HAve a glass of wine, you deserve it.

ben5 Tue 26-Jul-11 14:02:25

express and then have a glass of wine. get a taxi. better than drinking and driving

bibbitybobbityhat Tue 26-Jul-11 14:02:27

You can safely drink a glass of wine while breastfeeding for heaven's sake! If you want to have more than this then yes, you will need to take a taxi. But is it really worth it for the sake of another glass of wine?

joric Tue 26-Jul-11 14:03:39

One of us always stayed sober when DD was a baby. A baby of 2/3 months still needs round the clock feeding etc. Not possible, even with bottle if you are drunk.

4madboys Tue 26-Jul-11 14:04:05

its fine to drink in moderation whilst bfeeding! there are plenty of studies on it, i think tiktok would have more info/links.

obv you cant get roaring drunk when you have a baby to look after, but a couple of drinks should be fine.

tho do be aware that if you havent had a drink for months (preg) that your tolerance for alcohol will be low....you could always have a practise drink once a week before the party so you are used to alcohol again tho! grin

bibbitybobbityhat Tue 26-Jul-11 14:05:37

No one is talking about getting drunk joric.

<wonders why people can't read the bloody thread>

joric Tue 26-Jul-11 14:06:20

Following on from what I said... It should be your DH who stays sober to B'day party!!!

Solo Tue 26-Jul-11 14:06:30

I never ever expressed if I was having a glass of wine. But I do think there should be one completely sober parent in charge of a baby.

JellyJenko Tue 26-Jul-11 14:07:49

Also you need to remember after this period of restraint you might find it takes you a while to get your drinking habits back up to speed, so you might be happy to drive to stop people forcing the booze on you.

When DS was 3 months old, I was still getting a headache after the odd glass of wine that I managed! (He's 10 months old and I'm back up to a bottle a night glass or two every now and then) grin

joric Tue 26-Jul-11 14:08:18

bibity- have I been told off? If you're not capable of driving, you arn't capable of looking after a 2/3 month old baby. (IMO)

eastegg Tue 26-Jul-11 14:08:27

Go and enjoy a drink.

And even if you're bfing, you can still have a drink just don't get bladdered (which you wouldn't anyway in charge of a baby). Even better if you can time the feed so it's before you've had much/anything to drink.

Don't see a problem with putting a car seat in a taxi.

4madboys Tue 26-Jul-11 14:10:05

well its sensible NOT to drive after even one drink, that doesnt mean that you can then not look after a baby.

i think most parents have had a glass or two of wine and still been able to look after a baby!

the op isnt going to get paraletic!

joric Tue 26-Jul-11 14:12:29

Point taken 4mad!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 26-Jul-11 14:13:22

It won't be the booze or the taxi you're arguing about when the time comes, it'll be who gets to have a lie in the next day. smile Parties really not much fun when you have to be up again at 2am.... 4am.... 6am.....

piprabbit Tue 26-Jul-11 14:17:57

It's fine - just remember not to co-sleep if you've had a few drinks.

twofalls Tue 26-Jul-11 14:19:38

Not unreasonable but when it comes to it, you honestly might be so knackered you will only want to go for a short time anyway and so pointless getting a taxi.

Scholes34 Tue 26-Jul-11 14:26:26

Don't make plans just yet. I'm sure you'll chop and change your mind a lot closer to the time and you'll be surprised how much you don't want a drink and would prefer the convenience of having your car with you instead.

msbuggywinkle Tue 26-Jul-11 14:31:18

Kellymom says 1-2 drinks is not proven to have any effect on a breastfed baby.

This is what I have always done, had one or two (can't wait for Christmas so DC3 is out!) and breastfed as normal. Never had any problems.

EdithWeston Tue 26-Jul-11 14:31:23

If it's really only 10 minutes away, could you drive there and walk back? Send DH to retrieve the car the next day.

Jux Tue 26-Jul-11 14:47:19

See how it goes vis a vis bf; if it all goes as you are planning, then a couple of drinks shouldn't be a problem at all.

This thing about 'safe' number of units of alcohol is a bit silly. The experts have no idea and just plucked some figures out of thin air.

eastegg Tue 26-Jul-11 16:57:20

10 mins driving is a long way to walk! 5 miles at 30 mph.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: