Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed/upset about my engagement ring!

(19 Posts)
Atwaroverscrabble Tue 26-Jul-11 10:43:19

ok.... Dh bought me an old (1920's) 3 diamond ring 5 years ago, the claws got a bit damaged so i took it in for a quote and basically it needs a new seating which will cost £315!! I don't think it cost much more than this, if that amount in the first place!

Anyway.... I checked my home insurance and i have personal belongings cover and accidental damage so i called to ask if it would be covered..... And they have said no! Apparently its classed as wear and tear....

I am sad that my beautiful ring won't be repaired (no way can we afford that) and annoyed that thw insurance doesn't cover it!

I know iabu but its upset me today (am also fed up as ar broke down twice on sunday, dd has chicken pox, we're skint, oh and i am so behind on my work and the pox isn't helping as i can't go in this week and dsd (16) is moving in in aug so i am losing my workspace too!)

worraliberty Tue 26-Jul-11 10:47:59

Aww it never rains but it pours huh? sad

It is wear and tear though unless you can specifically describe an event where you damaged it...but even then, jewellery normally has its own seperate cover as it's worn outside the home.

yousankmybattleship Tue 26-Jul-11 10:50:26

Oh dear. Bad day! I'm afraid I would have been very surprised if the insurance did cover it, but I still feel for you and can quite understand why you feel so down. Hope something nice happens today to cheer you up a bit.

whattodoo Tue 26-Jul-11 10:51:22

Sounds like you're having a rough time. Hope your DD is soon better and your car is fixed. And I know how draining it can be when money is so tight.

However I can't understand why you are astonished that the repairs to your ring aren't covered by your insurance.

Surely you wouldn't expect them to replace your matress if it became saggy through wear and tear? Of if the knobs on your cooker started coming loose after years of twiddling?

Hope things start looking up for you and that you manage to save up some money to get the ring repaired. Maybe ask for money for birthdays/christmas etc? In the meantime, see if any other jewellers will be able to do it cheaper?

eurochick Tue 26-Jul-11 10:56:35

It's a shame but not the kind of thing insurance covers.

sleepindogz Tue 26-Jul-11 10:59:29

just put it away until a time you can afford to have it repaired

you havent lost it or anything terrible like that, just need to wait a while

Kladdkaka Tue 26-Jul-11 11:03:30

Blimey, is that the general consensus on how much it costs or just one quote? I recently had my nan's eternity ring repaired, they had to replace a couple of the very small diamonds; specially source a sapphire of the same quality and colour and fix some of the settings. That cost me approx £150 and I thought that was quite expensive (not in the UK).

aleene Tue 26-Jul-11 11:04:34

Try another jeweller for a quote. I had a big difference in quotes when the claws on my ring needed sorted. Then save up for it I suppose. Hope everything else picks up for you.

BlueFergie Tue 26-Jul-11 11:05:48

Try another jewellers. Get a few quotes. This seems an absoloutly outrageous amount. I just recently got the claws replaced on my engagement ring and it only cost €75. They can just replace the claws without having to do the whole setting.

BlueFergie Tue 26-Jul-11 11:07:42

BTW I thought €75 was pricy too. He fixed my watch as well for this and actually reduced it to €65 when I picked them up. I bet you will get a cheaper quote than this somewhere else.

PrincessJenga Tue 26-Jul-11 11:13:14

Where are you? If you're anywhere near birmingham then try calling a few places in the jewellery quarter to see if they can do it. My ring was about half the price there as in any of the high street jewellers. In fact, wherever you are, did you go to one of the 'big names' or a little local jeweller? I bet the smaller places would be cheaper.

squeakytoy Tue 26-Jul-11 11:16:44

I agree with others who have said go to a different jeweller. That is very expensive.

I had a ring fixed and it cost much much less than that, including a replacement stone too.

fluffyanimal Tue 26-Jul-11 11:17:12

I feel for you, I can't wear my grandmother's beautiful eternity ring because it needs reclawing and a stone replacing, and I can't afford to have it done. I was quoted £190 for reclawing and a replacement opal, that was about 5 years ago in York.

seasidesister Tue 26-Jul-11 11:24:07

Hi, sorry to hear youre having such a shit time.
Just a long shot, but do you live near any colleges that do offer jewellery design courses? might be worth trying to find a student or recent graduate, they may not charge as much as they could use photos for their portfolio.

LRDTheFeministDragon Tue 26-Jul-11 12:39:11

fluffy, York has a posh jewellery quarter, I'd imagine it's one of the more expensive places to get it done.

I agree about shopping around. Be aware that independent jewellers may charge more. I've something mended by a small chain (it didn't come from them originally) and it was peanuts.

Bad luck though, I hope you get it mended. sad

GirlWithALlamaTattoo Tue 26-Jul-11 12:54:12

I agree too about getting another quote. I inherited a beautiful ring from my grandmother, and quotes ranged from £120 to £500 for repairs. Both of these were from small independent jewellers, the cheaper one being the longest-established jeweller in our small town.

Hope you can find a more affordable quote.

Atwaroverscrabble Tue 26-Jul-11 13:37:28

Thanks everyone, the quote was from an independent jewellers, i might pop to birmingham over the summer and see what they say...

The insurance was a long shot as i think i had crushed/whacked the ring on my hand at some point and i have accidental damage and personal belongings cover but hey ho...

I've asked them to value the ring and then i will pick it up and put it somewherr safe and start saving.....

Annoying thing this week is i have an interview tomorrow to earn some extra cash for the last 6-8 months of my phd but cannot go as dd can't go to nursery and dh cannot get out if his training!

Oh well.....

valiumredhead Tue 26-Jul-11 13:41:24

I would have a couple more quotes tbh, just to make sure you were quoted a fair price.

fireblademum Tue 26-Jul-11 13:48:47

Agree you should shop around, when mine needed doing my first quote was £75 per claw, all 14 replacing, I got it done for 150, and that wasn't the cheapest place either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now