Talk

Advanced search

To want to move near the sea

(16 Posts)
stevienicks Tue 26-Jul-11 08:11:43

Has anyone ever made a major move lock stock and barrel, how did it go, did you stay or come back, could be anywhere in this country or abroad????

Iteotwawki Tue 26-Jul-11 08:43:49

Moved 12000 miles away to a dream job in paradise (more or less). Beach on doorstep, ski fields 90 mins drive away, weather almost perfect, stayed 2y so far!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 26-Jul-11 08:59:46

I moved near the sea when I went to Uni, my main reason for my choice being the opportunity to be by the sea!

I left the course but have stayed near the sea, been here 19 years now, I really can't see myself ever moving inland.

I am glad I did it when I was young, I think it's probably harder when you have others to think of iyswim.

Indaba Thu 28-Jul-11 00:55:51

Lived all over, now in South Africa, we'll come back to England soonish....hopefully near the sea.

My thoughts are...never try, never know.

Give it a shot. Whats the worst that can happen?

cantspel Thu 28-Jul-11 01:09:28

I moved to the coast (sussex) about 15 years ago when i had a toddler and was pregnant with my second.
I love where i live and have no plans to move anyway but even though the beach is only 10 minutes walk away i must admit i never bother to go and the nearest i get to seeing the sea is when i drive down the coast road each day.

iscream Thu 28-Jul-11 05:00:59

I have moved to various places in Canada, from the west coat to Ontario. I like adventure and new places. I feel I have to live somewhere to really "soak it up".

We plan to move to the west coast or way up north in a couple of years. We are staying put atm because we have dc in college still, and dh can't retire yet. But after that, we are free as a bird!

I say life is short, act on your dreams if you are able to.

iscream Thu 28-Jul-11 05:03:44

Argh! West "coast:, not coat.
Living by the sea would be great, btw, I drool over "House Hunters International" & "Fantasy Homes By The Sea."

Islandlady Thu 28-Jul-11 05:45:41

Moved to the Isle of Wight last year walking distance to the sea and I love it

Warning

if you do move expect to be inundated by rellies in the holidays

I have one Sister staying with me as I speak, one came last week and the other is due next monday

danebury Thu 28-Jul-11 06:45:36

We upped and moved from a very well to do town in Hampshire to Bideford, North Devon, in 2002. I have never regretted a single minute. Seeing running water every day is like therapy for me. We have about 5 beautiful beaches within ten to twenty minutes drive, and I cross the estuary every day on my 8 minute commute to work smile

khaliwali Thu 28-Jul-11 07:32:36

Left for Africa then Middle East years ago. Beach is 5 minutes away, life is very good.

CamperFan Thu 28-Jul-11 08:06:32

Best thing we ever did. I appreciate it every day.

NoobytheWaspSlayer Thu 28-Jul-11 08:17:10

Moved from London to the Highlands 5 years ago. Love it, love it, love it. There are very few things I miss, and life for LOs is much better than it would have been down south. We have been poorer in money, but richer in lifestyle. Simple pleasures now eh? A big bag of salty chips in the car on the harbour on a stormy day, watching the waves and looking for dolphins.

TalcAndTurnips Thu 28-Jul-11 08:20:11

For me, living next to the sea improves quality of life in so many ways.

When returning home from being inland, I can feel and smell the sea and it's like taking a lungful of oxygen. In summer, when it is stifling inland, sea breezes keep the air fresh. In winter, the sea warms the coast and there are fewer frosts.

I think one of the best things, though, is that the sea and sky look different every single day; colours, clouds, mists, sea state, bird life, marine traffic and so on - an ever-changing landscape.

Unless you're planning on moving next to the Port Talbot Steelworks, or Dungeness Nuclear Power Station, I'd say go for it!

escapeartist Thu 28-Jul-11 08:22:54

As Indaba says: Never try, never know!

We moved three years ago, live on a mountain, by the sea (in Greece). Things have been tough at times, but on the whole we are a lot happier than when we were in London smile Can afford a nicer house, have a great view to wake up to, cam go for a dip/hike/run/kayak outing anytime and... why not?

burnsie Thu 28-Jul-11 08:38:54

Moved from Berkshire to The North Devon coast in 2000
One of the best decisions we ever made.

stevienicks Wed 03-Aug-11 17:00:44

Thanks everyone that replied. Glad it has all worked out, can't wait to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now