Talk

Advanced search

To expect a thank you card for gifts?

(6 Posts)
Spitzer78 Mon 25-Jul-11 23:01:48

I was brought up to be grateful for things that others did for me. If I went to a birthday party or stayed overnight at a friend's house I would follow up with a thank you letter. To this day I still send thank you cards and letters to friends who host dinner parties and give me gifts. However, it is very rare that I receive anything in return. For example, I recently sent gifts to three seperate friends. A month or more has passed and I have not even been sent a quick one line email or phone call to acknowledge that a gift was received, let alone a proper thank you. It's the same when my kids give birthday gifts to their friends. The only people who ever thank us are close family. Am I old-fashioned and unrealistic in expecting thanks or are my friends being rude?

worraliberty Mon 25-Jul-11 23:05:41

A teensy bit old fashioned for expecting a card as that seems to have become rather outdated.

YADNBU for expecting a thank you call or text though sad

catgirl1976 Mon 25-Jul-11 23:07:09

YANBU. A letter is correct, a card acceptable a call or text forgivable.

No acknowlegment at all is so rude.

skybluepearl Mon 25-Jul-11 23:07:41

i am a thanker too but recieve little thanks myself. somtimes i might just text or FB a thanks - other times i write.

EdithWeston Mon 25-Jul-11 23:12:19

I agree completely with catgirl1976.

A present isn't truly yours until you have thanked the sender. It only takes a couple of minutes, and everyone likes to be appreciated. Why begrudge someone that?

Spitzer78 Tue 26-Jul-11 09:31:48

Thanks for your responses. I didn't think I was expecting too much, especially given the time and effort I put into choosing (in my opinion) thoughtful gifts. It's not like I just pick the first thing off the shelf. I feel that people don't make time to maintain friendships as much as they used to. If you're not a facebook "friend" you may as well not exist. But that's an entirely different thread...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now