Talk

Advanced search

to think a mother of a 22 month old really has little idea of the reality of parenting an older child?

(41 Posts)
Grumpygils Mon 25-Jul-11 22:55:37

I was sent a link to this blogpost today about children telling tales. It is written by the mother of a young toddler, and the implication is that if we all follow her wisdom then our children are less likely to display tale telling behaviour she dislikes in older children.

She herself acknowledges that her ideas may come back to bite her on the bum in a few years. AIBU to think it is ludicrous and smug to blog so knowingly about something you have no direct experience of yet?

Her ds hasn't even hit the argumantative 2 year old stage yet!

worraliberty Mon 25-Jul-11 22:56:59

Yeah but it's no different to some of the crap people spout on here is it? grin

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Mon 25-Jul-11 22:57:08

I find that all the most vocal experts in any area are the ones with little or no actual experience in that area. grin

Grumpygils Mon 25-Jul-11 22:58:12

grin worraliberty

Doodlez Mon 25-Jul-11 22:59:24

Celebate Catholic priests doling out marriage advice have the same effect on me Grumpy!

MJHASLEFTTHEBUILDING Mon 25-Jul-11 22:59:46

Message withdrawn

scurryfunge Mon 25-Jul-11 23:00:35

Blogs are such self indulgent wank fests, they mean nothing anyway other than to the people who write them.

SheCutOffTheirTails Mon 25-Jul-11 23:02:45

"Blogs are such self indulgent wank fests, they mean nothing anyway other than to the people who write them."

Totally, even the ones with millions of readers.

faverolles Mon 25-Jul-11 23:03:32

I was a much better parent before I had dc. I suppose this is similar - parenting an idea of how a child should behave, and how you would deal with it, and how the child will react to that.
Until you actually deal with a stroppy <<insert number>> year old child, you have no idea what method will work. If any will at all <<thinks fondly of ds2>>

worraliberty Mon 25-Jul-11 23:03:46

Blogs are such self indulgent wank fests, they mean nothing anyway other than to the people who write them

Oh God that is so true!

I've never read a blog in my life and have no intention of starting

scurryfunge Mon 25-Jul-11 23:04:15

I know....people will read any old tripe.grin

HeIsSpartacus Mon 25-Jul-11 23:06:52

I am already flailing at the sudden onslaught of food throwing and arched back tantrums and hitting bouts at 18 months. The only thing I am very sure of is that I know not what the fuck I am doing and haven't got time to pontificate ahead on bad behaviour in 8 or 9 years time - there's too much to be dealing with right now!

Even within 18 months every developmental stage has surprised me as a new challenge. I can't imagine that changing.

Grumpygils Mon 25-Jul-11 23:07:15

I particularly enjoyed the bit that reads

'you and your friend are having trouble sharing that toy. Can you think of something else you can do together?'

<vision of 2 year olds starting all out war battering each other over the head with plastic red tractor, biting, kicking screaming etc whilst the angelic mother calmly invites them to resolve their dispute>

<shakes head>

babybythesea Mon 25-Jul-11 23:08:11

Can I just say in a very small voice that blogs can have their uses?
I write one. My PIL live on the other side of the world - I write a blog so that they can see regular photos of the dd, and have some idea of how she's doing. As she gets a bit bigger and can talk to them on the phone r Skype it's becoming less important, but with the varying time zones this can sometimes be a problem. The blog is a great way to try and show them as much as I can about their gd, as they can't see her for themselves.
But I don't expect anyone else to be interested.

worraliberty Mon 25-Jul-11 23:21:26

Why not just email them or write a letter? confused

afussyphase Mon 25-Jul-11 23:40:35

I have a blog for the same reason - far away relatives and it provides a bit of story along with the pictures. And because I just know I won't make a physical scrapbook and I want to remember these days when the little darlings are small. And I also want to remember how it wasn't always happy giggles and strawberries. While I agree that the vast majority of blogs are self-indulgent boring tat, possibly including my own (!), there's the odd really great one - I really like www.alittlepregnant.com which I found ages ago. I think what makes it much better than most is that it's not just personal, it takes on issues beyond that one family. And it's well-written and interesting and occasionally really really funny. And occasionally really sad. And sometimes insightful. Anyway: blogs can be great, or totally insipid.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Tue 26-Jul-11 00:31:48

I cant abide these softly softly parents! The are usually attached to some horrid little brat who thinks they can do exactly what they like! confused

Whatmeworry Tue 26-Jul-11 00:46:08

I knew far more about parenting teenagers when I had a 22 month old than I do now with teenagers grin

Ignore blog......

thursday Tue 26-Jul-11 00:49:05

some blogs are interesting. i read a few, VERY few, that have a purpose to the wider world. personal family diary type ones are just practical ways of staying in touch and yes you could just email, but it's nice to have everything in one place where it wont accidentally get deleted or lost. MANY many blogs truly are pointless wank fests though. the sort where the author feels the need to share their opinion on everything because they think they're so very interesting. and they like to do it on a platform where no one can prove them wrong or argue with them and they can fabricate a reality to suit. painful.

the smugness of imaginary parenting is something you're supposed to learn not to do within the first year arent you? before you have your first you're filled with 'i will never....' and eventually you have to crack somewhere. once that's happened surely only a fool would continue to think they can foresee how events will play out before they get there. i tolerate my childless SIL telling me she'll never do this or that that i do, because i said i'd never do it too. i patiently wait smile

marriedinwhite Tue 26-Jul-11 01:13:08

As a mother of teenagers I never thought, not so many years ago, that I would let the 16 year old toddle off to Rock on the train on his own on a Saturday morning to spend four nights at a house with 6 other teenagers and a 77 year old grandad and his young(ish) second wife. Oh crap - but if he comes back in one piece I suppose grandad probably deserves half a case of decent claret. Imaginary parenting needs to get real and at least I gave him a lecture about alcohol and condoms!

Morloth Tue 26-Jul-11 07:19:40

Not as annoying as the people who have total nightmares for kids who like to offer unsolicited advice.

Chandon Tue 26-Jul-11 07:36:45

the thing I really disliked is:

"where do you want to hang your coat, in the hall or in your room"

so that poor kids don't get too many rules thrown at them.

confused

twilight3 Tue 26-Jul-11 07:42:48

didn't you knwo that the best oarents are the people without children (although soon-to-be parents tend to be even worse as they have probably watched a couple of episodes of tiny tearaways and think they're the masters of parenting

Iggly Tue 26-Jul-11 07:46:37

I'm a mother of a nearly 22 month old and have no idea what I'm doing grin

holyShmoley Tue 26-Jul-11 07:54:00

in fairness, i don't think she is being smug.

She might not be right, but it isn't easy to get the balance right between 'asking an adult for help' and 'telling tales'. And if 'telling tales' is so awful, then how do you persuade kids to deal with severe bullying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now