Talk

Advanced search

to think that other people sometimes think I'm crazy...

(21 Posts)
madhousewife Mon 25-Jul-11 22:27:46

My daughter has a friend at nursery who would ask me if she could come and play every time I saw her. I kept meaning to drop a note for her mum with my phone number to invite them over seeing as the girls got on so well. I didn't end up doing this until meeting the mum very briefly at another girl's bday party and I mentioned my intentions.

A few weeks later I left a note for the mum with my phone number.
I never did hear from her.

Months later I take dd to another bday party. At the end of the party this mum turns up to collect her dd. I was across the room and I smiled at her. Neither of us ended up speaking to each other.

I invite her daughter to my dd's bday party. She texts me and says they'll be coming. A week or so later there is a little show at the nursery, she sits behind me, I turn around and say, 'Hi!', I smile and she seems uncomfortable.

It's dd's party, some man I don't recognise with an older girl turns up. It's dd's friend, her older sister and a very uncomfortable looking dad. The dad drops the girls off, tells me he will be back at the end of the party. Doesn't leave a phone number or anything.

Can't help but think the mum thinks I'm nuts and is avoiding me. Was my smile slightly unhinged from across the room?
(Although why would she leave her 2 children alone at a party with someone she thinks is nuts??)

Go easy on me MNers.

Loonytoonie Mon 25-Jul-11 22:29:48

Blimey, OP - there could be a tons of reasons why she's not as forward as you'd like her to be. I think you're being a tad paranoid, to be honest.

skybluepearl Mon 25-Jul-11 22:31:01

you seem much more social than she is!

hiddenhome Mon 25-Jul-11 22:31:33

They think you're a stalker? hmm

MirandaGoshawk Mon 25-Jul-11 22:37:19

Re the party - the Dad felt uncomfortable because he was outside his comfort zone, not because it was your party. And why would it occur to him to leave a phone number? He had been dragooned into dropping off & collecting, not running his DD's social calendar. As to why it was him & not his DW who did the dropping/collecting, who knows? Her long-lost step-sister turned up from Australia that morning.

PortBlacksandIsleOfDogs Mon 25-Jul-11 22:37:20

Do you look like any of these women?

MirandaGoshawk Mon 25-Jul-11 22:38:18

MHW is the one with the dragon tattoo.

biddysmama Mon 25-Jul-11 22:39:34

i come across as a bit wierd because im very very shy and struggle to talk to people i dont know really well sad

madhousewife Mon 25-Jul-11 22:39:54

Port - how did you find my facebook profile pic?

PortBlacksandIsleOfDogs Mon 25-Jul-11 22:42:43

biddys - i do that but overcompensate by being gushing and loud - i'm the giggly snorter you avoid.....

.....sometimes i think i'd be perfectly happy never to speak to another human being....and i hate playdates that impinge on my evenings with DCs and avoid going to others houses for coffee....

....but i still snort and act over friendly - i sound delightful don't i? grin

madhousewife Mon 25-Jul-11 22:42:50

biddy - I'm shy too and that's why i think I may be coming across as a bit strange.

biddysmama Mon 25-Jul-11 22:45:34

i was at my aunties wedding the other day and a woman i didnt know asked me if i was with the party.. i paniced and said no... dh said that we were, i must have looked like a right freak!

PortBlacksandIsleOfDogs Mon 25-Jul-11 22:46:15

oooh and i "overshare" - nothing too personal - just waffle - then hate myself afterwards

biddysmama Mon 25-Jul-11 22:51:52

i waffle in a panic just jabbering shit hoping that they will stop speaking to me.... i also catch myself involving my dc's (2 and 10 months) in the conversation, like they care?

carocaro Mon 25-Jul-11 22:54:32

Fuck her and move on to someone else, who can be arsed with time waster and game playing. Plenty more mates to be had, go forth and converse and stop writing on bits of paper that can get lost!

DontCallMePeanut Mon 25-Jul-11 22:55:12

PortBlacks, you sound just like me grin

Sorry if that scares you sad

Ciske Mon 25-Jul-11 22:57:35

Perhaps she's also shy?

PortBlacksandIsleOfDogs Mon 25-Jul-11 23:05:13

peanut excellent - we can be unsociable wafflers together....

PortBlacksandIsleOfDogs Mon 25-Jul-11 23:07:49

I snorted in DS1's teachers face at parents evening. I forgot his name and instead of saying "parents evening" - i said "Christmas" - this was three weeks ago....

monoid Mon 25-Jul-11 23:27:38

PMSL at PortBlack !
I find it very overwhelming when people constantly try and arrange play dates. There was one mother who used to practically harass me into it. She would text, email and phone me to arrange something. She once guilted me into meeting up because she had already told her dd, and dd would be disappointed and upset hmm
I'm not very good at the whole meeting up with people for the sake of the kids. Usually meet up with people that I like and dd plays with their kids. Saying that, most of those friends are people I got to know at dd's school and dd is friends with and the playdates happened from there IYSWIM
I feel very uncomfortable around people I don't know. They often ask about dd's dad (who hasn't been in the picture at all for a long time) and my immediate family would not look out of place on a Jeremy Kyle show. I find my life very difficult to talk about and, although I realise that this is just standard conversation, they're not the sort of conversations I want to have with people I don't really know - and who may well judge me on my past.
I don't think you seem crazy, but I think it's best you just leave it, as they obviously aren't interested. You may seem crazy if you seem to be pursuing them though grin

madhousewife Tue 26-Jul-11 08:51:21

Thanks everyone for your lovely responses!
It's great when I can post an issue on here and then am able to put it to rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now