Talk

Advanced search

to have found myself developing a distinct fondness for brass bands?

(100 Posts)
hatwoman Mon 25-Jul-11 20:55:31

at the weekend I had the great privelege to sit on my doorstep in the evening sunshine (two days on the trot in fact) with a cup of tea, surveying a lovely view of an old village street (which is actually quite like a sqaure) with a hill rising up in the background, while a brass band played just 20 metres infront of me.

pieces like Danny Boy, Shostakovich' Second Waltz and the lovely, if rather suprisingly provenanced (not sure if that's a verb but never mind), theme to Jurassic Park. It was positively magical.

Today I have been listening to the same stuff on YouTube (the clip of Danny Boy from Brassed Off is plain dangerous if you're a softy like me) and I have admitted to myself that I love this stuff.

Is this middle age?

hellymelly Mon 25-Jul-11 20:57:05

I am very envy I love a brass band,they make me cry though!

Sidge Mon 25-Jul-11 20:58:05

I'll join you. I like it too.

I loved the music in Brassed Off and go all wobbly when I hear the Royal Marines Band (not strictly a brass band but great all the same).

Deesus Mon 25-Jul-11 20:58:21

Aw, I used to play in a brass band. Your post took me right back. Thnx! smile

BikeRunSki Mon 25-Jul-11 21:05:02

I love them. I once heard a quote "If you are from the North of England, brass band music is like stroking your soul".

Where do you live Hatwoman?

I work with someone who was a colliery band cornet player (the Tara Fitzgerald character in Brassed Off was based on him apparently, he was a mines surveyor and a very meek and gentle man, I have no reason to disbelieve him and he did the survey that led to the closure of Grimethorpe Colliery; he said he knew what he was doing and hated it - he comes from a long standing mineworking family). He is a different man with a cornet in his hands. It is beautiful.

LetThereBeRock Mon 25-Jul-11 21:06:29

There's nothing wrong with enjoying brass bands. YANBU.

TattyDevine Mon 25-Jul-11 21:06:39

Brass bands are great.

They often play Marches, too, which are always stirring.

Bless ya.

HerHissyness Mon 25-Jul-11 21:08:31

LOVE brass!

joric Mon 25-Jul-11 21:11:08

I love watching Morris dancing too.

blush

LetThereBeRock Mon 25-Jul-11 21:12:46

Ok I draw the line at Morris dancing.That's definitely not right.grin

BlackandGold Mon 25-Jul-11 21:14:18

Brass Bands are wonderful!

LetThereBeRock Mon 25-Jul-11 21:15:39

I love pipe bands.

joric Mon 25-Jul-11 21:16:41

Let there be rock sad !

smile !!!!!!

LetThereBeRock Mon 25-Jul-11 21:17:27

I'm kiddinggrin,though I am terrified of Morris dancers,they remind me of The Wickerman.

joric Mon 25-Jul-11 21:18:15

Ooh no, pipe bands?!!

wink !!!

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 25-Jul-11 21:18:51

urgh pipe bands grin

hang on, I'll find a treat for you brass fans

joric Mon 25-Jul-11 21:21:38

I know you are Letthereberock! We live 'up north' and have the lot- brass bands, pipe bands, Morris dancing, Scottish country dancing, well dressing, lace making .... I don't know how to do any of them!

ibbydibby Mon 25-Jul-11 21:22:03

Brass band fan here as well....though rather heavily influenced by the fact that DS1 plays in one, and we have just invested an eye-wateringly large sum of money in a brand new brass instrument for him.....Just hoping that the ever diminishing funding for his band is not cut even further.

Also love Morris Fancing and pipe bands. Am in East Anglia and not that much of either down this way...

LetThereBeRock Mon 25-Jul-11 21:22:29

I'm not kidding about The Wickerman though.blush I'm a wuss.

emmanumber3 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:22:32

YABU. My Ddad used to love brass band music. Growing up it was always the quickest way to get me out of the house - put on a brass band record hmm.

joric Mon 25-Jul-11 21:23:24

I must get more involved......

grin

YummyHoney Mon 25-Jul-11 21:23:41

shock YABU . And, No, it's not middle age.

joric Mon 25-Jul-11 21:24:40

Ibby, I like the sound of Morris fancing!! wink
smile

joric Mon 25-Jul-11 21:25:53

<Googles wickermen>

LetThereBeRock Mon 25-Jul-11 21:26:42

I love the brass bands at Oktoberfest in Munich, or in the Hofbrauhaus,with everyone swaying along.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now