Talk

Advanced search

to be really annoyed that my doctor didnt phone me?!

(12 Posts)
hellospoon Mon 25-Jul-11 18:50:39

Doc is supposed to be signing off my ofsted health form, I gave it to the receptionist last week as I am paying £50 for the privilege of a signature I expect it back in good time, however I heard nothing.

So I call today to be told - the doctor wants to see you about the form!

What could this mean? Also aibu to be pissed off they didn't phone me when I am paying them?!

bubblesincoffee Mon 25-Jul-11 18:52:27

Maybe it means that the doctor can't sign to say you are medically fit without actually making sure that you are medically fit?

EuphemiaMcGonagall Mon 25-Jul-11 18:52:51

YANBU. Cheeky buggers.

It'll either be about your flat feet, your piles or your STDs. grin

carabos Mon 25-Jul-11 18:52:58

What's an OFSTED health form?

Sassybeast Mon 25-Jul-11 18:54:33

In terms of priority, your form was probably at the bottom of the pile (and rightly so IMO) He/She may only ahve seen your form today and informed the receptionist/admin teams that he needed to see you. Phoning you to inform you of that may have been on their to do list. As it happens you rang them first. It's hardly on the scale of a national disaster. YABU.

blewit Mon 25-Jul-11 19:11:22

Think you maybe are being ABU. Dr wants to ask you something about your form. Better you go and speak to them and get it straightened out. £50 is not much for a Dr's time. You are asking for a signature - for them to give that signature they have to read your form, understand it and straighten out any queries.

herbietea Mon 25-Jul-11 19:18:30

Message withdrawn

givemushypeasachance Mon 25-Jul-11 19:23:30

£50 seems a lot for a signature but it is actually more than that - the GP (or someone on their staff) has to review your medical file to see if there is anything that could impact on your medical suitability to be in sole charge of young children, then document any concerns that they have for the health assessment people to see when the form is returned to them. They don't know how complicated your case may be - you might be a simple ok or you might have a history of mobility problems, depression and seizures that could all impact on your suitability and they have to charge a standard fee to cover the costs; it's not unreasonable to do that rather than ask the taxpayer to fund a health check you need for your job.

Doctors get a surprising number of these forms - just think how many "fit to fly", sick note or occupational health type checks you might get each week in a population of 10,000 patients. GPs are generally pretty busy people and might have some time once a week allocated to go through the checks for their patients that have come in, so forms might be put back for a couple of days and won't get looked at immediately.

blewit Mon 25-Jul-11 19:33:35

It does seem quite cheap to me. A private health medical (as this is nothing to do with furthering your health so not a tax payer issuer) would cost you anything upwards of £200.

BartletForAmerica Mon 25-Jul-11 20:35:55

YABU.

As givemushypeas said, you are not paying £50 for a signature but the GPs' medical opinion based on reading your notes and taking on responsibility for the decision he/she has made.

This also isn't NHS work. Don't you think the GP should be concentrating on NHS work (i.e. people who are actually sick) and fitting in notes elsewhere?

hellospoon Mon 25-Jul-11 22:34:00

Ok maybe I am being impatient, I just really need to get it off to ofsted as we really need to get me registered as a cm for money purposes!

hellospoon Mon 25-Jul-11 22:34:00

Ok maybe I am being impatient, I just really need to get it off to ofsted as we really need to get me registered as a cm for money purposes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now