Talk

Advanced search

to want to go on holiday with ds??

(18 Posts)
natandjacob Mon 25-Jul-11 17:04:57

been through a rough couple of years and havent had a holiday in i dont know how long. my lovely lovely mil has offered to use a weeks worth of her holidays at work to have ds if me and dh wanted to find a cheap holiday. obviously we jumped at the chance!! however i've had a few people dissaprove of this, they dont think its right to go away without ds as he is only 1yro..what if something happened?
should i be feeling guilty about leaving him? he has no health problems and loves his nana to pieces, he literally melts when he see's her!

EvilTwins Mon 25-Jul-11 17:07:26

I don't think you should feel guilty at all. If your MIL is offering to take DS and give you and DP some time together, then I would jump at it. DH and I have had short breaks away from our DTDs since they were about a year old - they love staying with my parents, and we enjoy having a bit of "us" time.

Ignore the people who are disapproving. Go, and enjoy yourself. Bet you miss him though!

2rebecca Mon 25-Jul-11 17:10:06

Confusing thread. Do you want to go with or without your son? Why should anyone think you are unreasonable for going with him?
Equally having a 1 year old spending a week with his grannie is hardly child abuse. Do what you want.

minipie Mon 25-Jul-11 17:11:53

Assume you meant to say "without DS" in your thread title.

I think YANBU but I do think it would be a good idea if DS had some "practice" nights and weekends at your MIL's house before spending a week there.

bringmesunshine2009 Mon 25-Jul-11 17:13:19

----> PACK SUITCASE, SUNCREAM, PASSPORTS, COZZIE AND RUN!----->

natandjacob Mon 25-Jul-11 17:20:35

ha yes i did mean without, its been a long day!
he's already stopped there for about 3 nights a few times and other times just the 1 night so he is used to being there.
i will miss him soooo much, pretty sure a couple of cocktails by the pool will help solve the pain though smile

Pandemoniaa Mon 25-Jul-11 17:22:24

Enjoy your holiday. Your ds is only one year old and not going to suffer from any feelings of deprivation about being left with MIL. In fact, he's probably going to have a superb week and you'll come back all rested and restored. Win-win, I'd say!

Ignore the disapprovers. Some people have such tiny lives...

jesuswhatnext Mon 25-Jul-11 17:25:43

blimey!! he gets to stay with his nana!! call the fucking cops! honestly... just ignore the miseries and go have a lovely time, he will!!!

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Mon 25-Jul-11 17:27:12

Does she want my dd as well? grin

go and enjoy, yes you will miss him, yes some will say how could you and others well envy

catgirl1976 Mon 25-Jul-11 18:26:40

YANBU. Enjoy your holiday and relax!

LetThereBeRock Mon 25-Jul-11 18:31:14

YANBU.There's nothing wrong with it,and he and his nana will have a lovely time together so there's no need to feel guilty. Go and enjoy.

Donkeyswife Mon 25-Jul-11 18:34:05

My love you are most certainly NOT being unreasonable!! Your DS will have a whale of a time with his nana by the sounds of it, as she sounds like a top banana. YOu and DH will both come back refreshed which will make you feel great. Sure, you'll miss your little one, but he will be having a great time with his nan. I think it's lovely that you've got such a considerate mil, so take this opportunity with both hands.

Donkeyswife Mon 25-Jul-11 18:35:59

And, ignore anyone who says otherwise. It's none of their business and is between you, your dh, ds and mil. Some people just enjoy being critical and judgemental.

InFlames Mon 25-Jul-11 18:37:16

YANBU :-) enjoy your holiday and don't spend all day chatting about DS like DH and I do when we have an hour off ;-)

bubblesincoffee Mon 25-Jul-11 19:07:22

I know it sounds like a very easy and predictable thing to say, but people who act all dissapproving at the thought of you going away without ds, are probably jealous.

It's an easy opportunity for them to score imaginary points in the best parent competition. They get to be all superior and 'oh no! I would never leave my baby!' knowing full well that they wouldn't have the opportunity presented to them anyway.

I actually think that little trips like this are a very important part of keeping your marriage strong - and keeping your marriage healthy is one of the best gifts you can give your children.

vvviola Mon 25-Jul-11 19:14:28

We went on honeymoon when DD was 11 months old, leaving her with my parents. I sobbed crying leaving her (until I got to the top of the hill about 10 minutes drive away grin ) and then had a wonderful week with DH in Italy. Yes, we missed her and called frequently to see how she was getting on, but otherwise it was exactly the right decision. We had a ball, and DD built on the great relationship she had with my parents already (and continues to have 3 years later - they all adore each other)

Go! He'll be in good loving hands, and you'll get a nice break (just have the tissues ready for when you leave!)

ChaoticAngelofGryffindor Mon 25-Jul-11 19:14:42

YANBU You and your DH get to spend some time alone together as a couple and your DS will get to spend time with his lovely DGM being spoiled rotten. Win win smile

fivegomadindorset Mon 25-Jul-11 19:15:30

Go, sounds like you and your DH need it and let your DS be spoiled by a very generous MIL. Have fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now