Talk

Advanced search

to think that Mark Cavendish should win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year?

(56 Posts)
CinnabarRed Mon 25-Jul-11 14:53:07

He's the only person ever to win back-to-back finishes to the Tour de France on the Champs Elysees. And he's done it three times in a row.

He's won 20 races stages of the Tour de France, the 6th most in history, 2 behind Lance Armstrong and only 14 more needed to take the top place (he's only 26).

He's generous in his praise for his team of lead out men. And there's every hope that he's riding clean.

And he's also very nice to look at in cycling shorts....

MorelliOrRanger Mon 25-Jul-11 14:54:44

I agree, and he's got less arrogant as he's got older too.

I thought he was fantastic this year, very humble and deserved his green jersey.

CinnabarRed Mon 25-Jul-11 14:55:57

Here's photos for those who don't know him.

www.markcavendish.co.uk/

nevergoogle Mon 25-Jul-11 14:56:30

DS1 is 6 and would agree. He's been writing him a letter this morning informing Mark Cavendish that as he was told (by us) that Mark Cavendish eats eggs, he now, after 6 and half years, tried an egg yesterday and liked it!
So yes, for that, give him an award.

Kayzr Mon 25-Jul-11 14:57:04

I agree and will certainly vote for him if he gets through. I think he is a brilliant cyclist and a great ambassador(sp) for the sport. Throughly enjoyed watching him this year.

NoobyNoob Mon 25-Jul-11 15:01:37

YANBU - I loved watching him this year. He did so, so well smile

Pakdooik Mon 25-Jul-11 15:03:50

Spot on!

mendipgirl Mon 25-Jul-11 15:05:37

Completely agree, he's not getting half the coverage on the news that he should be for such an achievement!!

GooseyLoosey Mon 25-Jul-11 15:06:15

He is without doubt the outstanding sprinter of his generation and possibly the greatest sprinter ever. However, I doubt the BBC will award him anything, when I heard them report his victory on the Champs Elysees they couldn't even get that right - they said he was the first British cyclist in history to win 3 stages on the Champs Elysees. No - he's the only cyclist ever to do it. They just don't care about cycling (especially road racing).

CappuccinoCarrie Mon 25-Jul-11 15:08:10

Couldn't agree more, great sportsman and comes across as a really nice guy and a great team player.

BetsyBoop Mon 25-Jul-11 15:13:30

yes, yes, yes, YAsoNBU smile

Cav did us proud this year, fabulous finish yesterday, DH & I even had the kids screaming at the telly for him to win (which OF COURSE he did!)

He's a huge star on the continent, shame most folks in the UK say Mark who?,,,,,

He's one of the best sprinters ever, and seems such a nice, genuine guy to boot. [:wub:]

Clayhead Mon 25-Jul-11 15:28:13

Nowhere near enough coverage of his achievements in the newspapers.

And I would appreciate more photos too wink

Enjoyed the ITV (4?) coverage though.

CinnabarRed Mon 25-Jul-11 16:12:56

Didn't help his cause that he came away from the Bejing Olympics empty handed. Hopefully that will be rectified in 2012!

Gastonladybird Mon 25-Jul-11 16:14:21

Yanbu- cycling woefully badly covered here.

CinnabarRed Mon 25-Jul-11 16:28:17

Do you think that the British cyclists are, by and large, clean? Clearly we can't talk about individuals for fear of libel, but I found the leaked UCI list very interesting.

road.cc/content/news/35792-lequipe-publishes-ucis-secret-index-doping-all-198-riders-2010-tour-de-france

I'm pretty certain that David Millar must be clean now.

Starshaped Mon 25-Jul-11 16:51:20

YANBU.

I voted for him last year too. He's the Usain Bolt of cycling but gets so little recognition from the British press. I'd love it if he won. Sadly, I suspect he won't.

IndridCold Mon 25-Jul-11 17:05:53

I would be suprised if he wasn't a candidate, but I'm sure he won't win - it will be some golfer or footballer.

If this was France he would probably win by a landslide...

mayorquimby Mon 25-Jul-11 17:16:29

Darren Clarke and his boozy ways say no.

Gastonladybird Mon 25-Jul-11 18:03:36

Agree sadly re darren Clarke (or one of f1drivers if they turn it round).

The uci list does make interesting reading but David Millars book very enlightening. Seems that British (and french) have gone a long way to try and clean up their teams/cycling. Its hard to be sure about all of them but would be gobsmacked if millar still doping or many of rest brits. Not convinced re some of others although the way race went this year and number of positive tests would indicate a clean tour than for many Years. But contador hearing next month will bring this back up

camdancer Mon 25-Jul-11 18:06:47

YAdefinitelyNBU. I voted for him last year also. He's still a drama queen but getting so much less annoying with age. Such a good Tour this year. I was glued to the coverage. My poor DC's couldn't watch anything they wanted. Now they know how I feel about endless cbeebies! grin

ShellingPeas Mon 25-Jul-11 18:21:15

YANBU. But he won't because most people don't have a clue about what it's like to ride 70, 80, 90 plus miles for a day up and down hills, in wind, rain, or heat (or sometimes all three on one day). And then get up the next morning and do it all again. And again. For three weeks.

So it'll be some footballer, or a golfer, or F1 racer again.

Go Mark Cavendish.

Just a shame that Brad Wiggins had his crash or we could have had a British winner.

CinnabarRed Mon 25-Jul-11 18:34:24

DS1 (3.8 years) was allowed to stay up to watch the ITV4 highlights. Worryingly, we liked the downhill sections where people fell off the most... hmm

AnneWiddecomesArse Mon 25-Jul-11 18:35:34

Absolutely

AnneWiddecomesArse Mon 25-Jul-11 18:36:46

But the record is 22 stage wins isn't it ?

CinnabarRed Mon 25-Jul-11 18:50:59

Nope - 34 for Bernard Hinault.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now