Talk

Advanced search

To not organise a holiday 'away' this year?

(35 Posts)
BadTasteFlump Mon 25-Jul-11 10:29:30

Because I'm feeling guilty, despite justifying it to myself in my head.

Money is a bit tight for us ATM so we are planning on having a week off and going out for days. We live near the coast & a theme park so as long as the weather's ok, we should have some good days out.

However last night the DCs were saying 'when are are going on holiday' and when we told them the plan, they were disappointed and were saying 'but a holiday is when you stay in a different house'.... So now I feel a bit crap sad. Have been having a look on the web and even for a late deal, it's at least £500 for a week away in the most basic looking holiday accomm (there's five of us). That's without spending any money on going out during the day.

We have been trying to save up to take the DC to Disneyland Paris next year, which they've been saying they want to do for a couple of years, but to have an chance of doing that, we can't afford a holiday this year as well. We haven't mentioned the possibility of Disney next year and don't want to until it's 100% happening.

Are we being meanies?

sleepindogz Mon 25-Jul-11 10:30:59

how old are they?

just say we dont go on holiday every year, just when we have enough money

if thats all they have to moan about, they are very lucky kids indeed

LeggyBlondeNE Mon 25-Jul-11 10:44:37

I used to love bumming around the village during the school holidays. Plus holidays within the UK usually meant my grandparents' mobile home in their paddock in Devon (long story but they wouldn't let us stay in the house! Crazy old woman!) and spending lots of time inside drawing pictures while it rained.

They'll get over it, honest.

worraliberty Mon 25-Jul-11 10:47:39

What sleepingdogz said

They need to learn that holidays are not an 'every year' thing.

jellybeans Mon 25-Jul-11 10:48:50

YANBU at all. Alot of people don't go away every year.

belgo Mon 25-Jul-11 10:50:09

It's up to you but imo Disneyland is a total waste of money and I would much prefer a week's camping every year then save up for next year and then blow it on Disney.

Any possibility you can borrow a tent and put it up in a friend's garden for a night or two?

HairyJo Mon 25-Jul-11 10:52:16

I agree with sleepindogz but sorry I have to disagree with belgo! Love disney!

cestlavielife Mon 25-Jul-11 11:14:35

i think getting away is good for everynone - borrow a tent.

get sun or daily mail coupons for cheap camping/caravan deals?

go for long weekend instead of a week?
or a mon-to fri which cheaper?

AngryFeet Mon 25-Jul-11 11:20:40

Just tell them you can't afford to go away this year and that you are having special days out instead. They are children and they can't dictate to you about this. You don't have the money end of story. If you change your plans you are teaching them that they can have what they want if they moan about it. My two rarely get to go away and they just accept it even though their friends are always off abroad. They accept we can't afford it at the moment but next year we can - they are 6 and 4.

itisnearlysummer Mon 25-Jul-11 11:23:13

Actually we did this a few years ago. We felt really guilty that we weren't taking the children on holiday but we behaved as though we were on holiday, but we came home to sleep at night rather than sleep in a tent.

We visited all the attractions in the area, didn't spend time doing housework, had holiday heads on and it was lovely. In fact, DS said it was one of the best summer holidays he'd had.

belgo Mon 25-Jul-11 11:28:47

the trouble with special days out is that unless you are very shrewd they can end up costing a fortune especially theme parks.

squeakytoy Mon 25-Jul-11 12:44:48

It wont do the kids any harm to learn that holidays are a luxury that we cant all afford every year. Going into debt for the sake of a week or two and then struggling for the other 50 weeks is madness, and doesnt teach your kids anything about life either.

sayithowitis Mon 25-Jul-11 12:56:57

Sorry Belgo and c'estlavie, I would rather never have a holiday again than to spend one night in a tent!

I think it is perfectly acceptable not to have a holiday, especially if it means that next year you will be able to do something that you all consider special. We certainly didn't have a holiday every year when our DCs were small. They do not consider themselves deprived! Now that they are 'adult' we still don't have a holiday every year - helping DC1 out with university costs makes sure of that! DC2 gets a holiday which is paid from their earnings from a weekend job. DC1 has to work all summer to pay the rent on their house at university.

When DH has time off, he and I will have a couple of (cheap) days out, maybe visiting the London museums or a drive to the coast. Is anything like that possible for you and your family? IME, children are just as happy with a picnic and a day out as they are to be 'away'. Or could you see if you can pick up a cheap deal for a night or two in a travel inn or similar? There are often good deals around for that.

Enjoy Disney next year! smile

LetThereBeRock Mon 25-Jul-11 13:02:31

YANBU. An annual holiday is not a necessity,and if money is tight it'd be crazy to spend money that you don't have on a holiday when it's needed elsewhere.

They won't keel over from holiday deprivation I promise.

EverythingInMiniature Mon 25-Jul-11 14:15:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EverythingInMiniature Mon 25-Jul-11 14:18:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mum2Luke Mon 25-Jul-11 14:23:37

I think holidays are hyped up really, you can spend days out, have picnics and do things as a family without spending a fortune.

We are going camping in France, taking our own tent, bikes and the whole house if my other half has his way, we've not been abroad for a few years as its just too expensive to fly with 4 adults and a 9 year old.

Enjoy the holidays, I will even though when I come back I am back to childminding till September.

minipie Mon 25-Jul-11 14:25:29

YANBU

But just a suggestion, have you considered doing a house swap? Would enable you to go "away" without spending money on accommodation potentially.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Mon 25-Jul-11 14:27:12

Sorry but they need to understand not everyone goes on holiday every year. And do not mention Disneyland!

rookiemater Mon 25-Jul-11 14:28:03

YANBU.
DCs are never happy. We were at the airport for our family holiday to Portugal. Cue DS whinging because he isn't going to Center Parcs. Since we have come home all he does is ask every day if we are going to Disneyland because of the adverts.

Second the comment about houseswaps, we are shortly going to do a weeks houseswap to High Wycombe, brilliant because it is within 10 minute drive of Legoland and totally free ( apart from blood sweat and tears to get house ready beforehand) through NCT houseswap ( apart from membership cost)

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Mon 25-Jul-11 14:28:18

Btw when we did this when I was a child we used to have one day each where we could pick the activity, my brother chose gokarting, my mum to visit the corrie set!

cumbria81 Mon 25-Jul-11 14:31:38

Days out can be very expensive - why don't you go camping? it's quite low cost once you've got the gear (and that can be got second hand) and once you're there the kids will be so excited they won't need entertaining.

I do feel for you though. I haven't been away for years

noddyholder Mon 25-Jul-11 14:33:06

We aren't going 'away' this year and I am so relieved!

susiedaisy Mon 25-Jul-11 14:35:52

YANBU you are doing your best with the money you have, and saving for a special holiday for next year, day trips are great fun!grin

ipswichwitch Mon 25-Jul-11 15:34:18

we never went anywhere on hol when i was a kid (never any money), but we used to get the tent put up in the back garden and we were allowed to sleep there during the good weather. mum used to make it seem like we were on holiday proper, and we'd have picnic teas and fun stuff to do during the day. we loved it and never felt like we missed out, even though many of our friends went abroad for hols

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now